• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilot that blew .039

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why should a guy that shows up drunk to fly an airplane get a f-ing dime out of it? Despite the tone here, showing up drunk to fly a jet doesn't really make you cool, despite how much you think "herb" would approve.

Just curious, we have a 0.0 company policy, don't you guys have the same at SWA?
The company is on his side??

ferlo said:
Why should a guy that shows up drunk to fly an airplane get a f-ing dime out of it? Despite the tone here, showing up drunk to fly a jet doesn't really make you cool, despite how much you think "herb" would approve.

Well, for starters, he didn't show up for work drunk. So there's the little matter of wrongful arrest, lost wages, and defamation. All of these damages can be proven in a civil case, and Mr. Joe Pilot could walk away with an award. However, the main thing to focus on here is that (hopefully) the TSA, SLC airport authorities, and SLC DA's office will reevaluate their criteria for singling out a pilot and dragging his good name through the mud without a case.

PA-22 said:
Just curious, we have a 0.0 company policy, don't you guys have the same at SWA?
The company is on his side??

Just curious, who is "we"?

To answer your question, the SWA policy is .02, which is more restrictive than the FAA's limit of .04. Other SWA guys please correct me if I got this wrong.

Between .02 and .04 the employee gets to go to beer school. I wouldn't say that the company is on the pilot's side. They are just going to follow the established policy. Any way you look at it, it's not going to be pretty for the pilot.

Juvat said:
Well, for starters, he didn't show up for work drunk. So there's the little matter of wrongful arrest, lost wages, and defamation. All of these damages can be proven in a civil case, and Mr. Joe Pilot could walk away with an award. However, the main thing to focus on here is that (hopefully) the TSA, SLC airport authorities, and SLC DA's office will reevaluate their criteria for singling out a pilot and dragging his good name through the mud without a case.

I'm no supporter of the TSA and what happened to this guy, but for the sake of my traveling family I hope that they continue to scrutinize any pilot that appears to be under the influence. Let's face it, blowing a .039 indicates have a little more than one with dinner the night before. I don't think he should get a dime for his actions. Nor should he have been arrested and been treated the way he was. Both parties are at fault. I say do over.

ferlo said:

Ferlo,

You're speaking only in hypotheticals here. The guy was not drunk, as proved by the breathalizer. The reason he might receive some financial settlement is because he was not drunk, and yet the cops/TSA/DA all said he was publicly to the papers and raised a stink about it (no pun intended). It's all fine and good for people want to be today's 15 minute hero, but these morons were trying just a bit too hard. Apparently in SLC they don't understand that you have to actually catch somebody and have hard evidence before you attempt to crucify them and ruin their life and career.

-Blucher

PS-This does not mean that I think it is even a little bit OK to show up to pilot an aircraft impaired in any way.

Not sure if I remember exactly, but didn't this guy's alchohol test occur an hour after his showtime? I realize what the rule is, but let's not make this dude a hero. He was probably about .54 when he showed for work. He was just lucky it took so long to get his test. If you ask me, he embarrassed the profession and his airline.

furloughed dude said:
If you ask me, he embarrassed the profession and his airline.
We didn't ask you, so why don't you shut the F*ck up!

Remember this; The last guy on this earth who was perfect got himself nailed to a cross.

Yeah, I guess I don't care about embarrassing the airline. Southwest does a good enough job doing this by themselves. But every time a loser like this shows up with liquor on his breath, it makes us all look bad. If he keeps his license, he is lucky the incompetents at SLC couldn't get him to a breathalizer any sooner. Fifteen minutes earlier and .04 or higher.... Maybe he should go buy them a beer...

Latest resources

Back