SWA pilot that blew .039

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh-ryan said:
I'm no supporter of the TSA and what happened to this guy, but for the sake of my traveling family I hope that they continue to scrutinize any pilot that appears to be under the influence. Let's face it, blowing a .039 indicates have a little more than one with dinner the night before. I don't think he should get a dime for his actions. Nor should he have been arrested and been treated the way he was. Both parties are at fault. I say do over.

He can't get a "do over". His name has been drug through the mud. Lets face it, the authorities overstepped the limits of the law.

BTW I think he ws WAAAAY too close and chould have called in sick.

furloughed dude said:
Yeah, I guess I don't care about embarrassing the airline. Southwest does a good enough job doing this by themselves. ..

Excuse me? Where do you get off? You'd never say that in person, but you can be "Billy Badac" here on the internet. Spare us the empty talk tough guy.

Hey furloughed...there's enough "embarassing" to go around for everyone:

Let's see..there was the Eastern crew, who, while ALL THREE of them played around with a broken light bulb, let the plane descend into the Everglades.

A UAL Captain fiddles around with a landing gear problem till they run out of gas .... despite warnings from his FE.

A Delta crew chats about a F/A and forgets to set flaps for take-off at DFW.

Another Delta crew figures they are immune to thunderstorms and flies through one at DFW in a wide body and kills a bunch.

An NWA crew forgets to set flaps and kills a bunch at DTW in an MD-80.

An NWA crew flies drunk.

An NWA 727 crew somehow stalls their 727 at high altitude and nearly loses the plane.

An AWA crew attempts top fly drunk

A NWA crew lands at the wrong airport in Europe after a trans-Atalntic flight.

An American Chief Pilot tries to land in a TRW at Little Rock and kills a bunch.

A Pan Am 727 elects to take off on runway 10 at MSY during windshear and TRWs and kills a bunch while a SWA 737 declined the take-off and was waiting for the weather to improve.

A Comair crew loses situational awareness while taxiing to their assigned runway and takes off on the wrong one killing a bunch.

All these incidents are a serious embarassment to the industry.

I could easily go on and on and on but the point is, if you are going to aim arrows, you better have a very large quiver.

furloughed dude said:
Not sure if I remember exactly, but didn't this guy's alchohol test occur an hour after his showtime? I realize what the rule is, but let's not make this dude a hero. He was probably about .54 when he showed for work. He was just lucky it took so long to get his test. If you ask me, he embarrassed the profession and his airline.

Thats is not Necessarily true. I have seen where some blows ( whatever #) and is taken to the jail .They are tested again at the jail and blow higher number over an hr. later at the jail.

Doesn't .02 or greater get you fired at most airlines?

Maybe you get a second chance when you are off probation, but I thought .02 is standard for termination.

Mach 80 said:
Hey furloughed...there's enough "embarassing" to go around for everyone:

Other than the AWA crew you mentioned, I wonder how many of these crashes or incidents were related to Alcohol? I would rather fly with those drunk AWA pilots over these other guys.

I would think that blowing over a .02 at most carriers would get you canned....blowing over .04 means you lose your license.

Any LUV guys out there....lose the thick hide and admit the guy humiliated himself and all of us. Blowing a .039 is nothing to be proud of. Of course he wasn't DRUNK by driving standards, but he was impaired.

Stop defending him and trying to excoriate the authorities. They were doing their job, the SWA FO was doing his while impaired. He is dang lucky they didn't get him blowing on that thing even 10 minutes prior. We wouldn't be having this conversation.

A350

Latest resources

Back