• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA pilot that blew .039

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I suppose that we can just agree enough to disagree on the systems of law throughout the world. It is a fact that once you cross outside of our borders, all sorts of bad things can happen after an accident. Expect to be detained in one way or another, and expect a corrupt bureaucracy to substitute law and due process for tribute and bribes.

Does anyone want to disagree with the fact that it is the norm for the flight crew to be in a worse degree of trouble in the aftermath of an accident that occurs in a foreign country than in the US? And does anyone disagree that things that used to be considered accidents and bad luck now are becoming criminal in the US?

I am always up for a debate. Especially for those that stick up for the Mexican and Chinese governments as well as globalists. Take a good look south, because it is moving north.

Tejas-Jet said:
Really??? Well, somewhere there is an attorney who will take this case on a contingency....we all hate lawyers ....until we need one....you ever needed the services of an attorney? I have....and he took it on a contingency...and we won....

Except that he wanted more money from GM....so he re-filed....and got more...we were verrrrry happy with what we got.

Tejas

It sounds like your making the point that because there "may" be an attorney that will take the case then it will result in a big award settlement.

Or is your point that since you have won a case (not at all related to this one) that he will win as well?

Your logic defies me.

I know this guy that got burned by hot coffee from McD's and he won a big award...so this guy...who smelled like booze and had booze in his system, and who by his own companies drug policy was not legal to fly, will be able to just sue the crap out of every member of the law enforcement who attemped in good faith to protect the lives of the flying public.

Echopapa said:
...so this guy...who smelled like booze and had booze in his system, and who by his own companies drug policy was not legal to fly, will be able to just sue the crap out of every member of the law enforcement who attemped in good faith to protect the lives of the flying public.

Why not? I mean if he can find an attorney willing to accept the case on a contingency basis what does he have to lose? If I were unfairly arrested or even publicly accused of a crime that I did not commit I'd at least attempt to find someone to take the case on a contingency. Doesn't make sense not to try. As far as the company standards are concerned they have nothing to do with the law.

I don’t sympathize with showing up and blowing any positive number, BUT there can be half the number which he had, in your body from Diet soda, and other foods. This man deserved privacy and a fair shake until they could PROVE or find out what the facts were. But, like many areas of law enforcement it's not about the truth, fact or protecting your privacy, it's about arrests so they can get another star on there report card, and writing tickets for revenue.

I would drag any pilot of an aircraft that had been drinking, but it Is not my responsibility to smear his name or attempt to destroy him to put myself in the light as Joe Do-Gooder !

Metro752 said:

Ladies, he was not drunk, per the law. Just because he had a .039 does not mean he was .039 drunk! Go find someone else to burn at the stake. There is nothing wrong with drinking alcoholic beverages, which is what you are implying by complaining about him having ANY alcohol in his system. You are just proving your ignorance and stupidity.

I don't know how else to explain it other than he did nothing wrong, here are a bunch of definitions.

Yes he did do something wrong, he pushed the limits when he should not have . I am sure that he regrets his decision to come to work. Do you know how long before his duty in he quit drinking? Do you know how much he had to drink? There is no defense for this person, he made a mistake, everybody does. Obviously everybody's body handles alcohol differently, maybe he could hold his liquor, maybe he could not. The point is if you come to work smelling of alcohol, whether you are intoxicated or not, you have pushed the limits, plain and simple. CALL IN SICK!!!!!!!!

jehtplane said:
[/list]Yes he did do something wrong, he pushed the limits when he should not have . I am sure that he regrets his decision to come to work. Do you know how long before his duty in he quit drinking? Do you know how much he had to drink? There is no defense for this person, he made a mistake, everybody does. Obviously everybody's body handles alcohol differently, maybe he could hold his liquor, maybe he could not. The point is if you come to work smelling of alcohol, whether you are intoxicated or not, you have pushed the limits, plain and simple. CALL IN SICK!!!!!!!!

Amen...

Echopapa said:
It sounds like your making the point that because there "may" be an attorney that will take the case then it will result in a big award settlement.

Or is your point that since you have won a case (not at all related to this one) that he will win as well?

Your logic defies me.

I know this guy that got burned by hot coffee from McD's and he won a big award...so this guy...who smelled like booze and had booze in his system, and who by his own companies drug policy was not legal to fly, will be able to just sue the crap out of every member of the law enforcement who attemped in good faith to protect the lives of the flying public.

Just saying that there are attornies that will take a case on a contingency basis. I gave my example in that it worked for me ($).

Never heard about a guy who got burned by hot coffee at McDonalds...but did hear about the woman...who sued and was awarded a huge amount of money. Agree or disagree...but the arguement brought forth by her attorney was that the temperature of the McDonalds coffee was much hotter than that of their competitors....and it was kept that hot solely for competive reasons...like it or not....we know what the outcome was

The law enforcement folks may have been started out that morning attempting "in good faith" to protect the flying public....but somewhere their direction went haywire in releasing his name...mug shot etc to every news outlet in the country...then to find out...the DA has no case....and this man's reputation has been damaged....

Danged right he should sue....and I'll bet he's got a good attorney already...if not, he should.

Tejas

Tejas-Jet said:
Just saying that there are attornies that will take a case on a contingency basis. I gave my example in that it worked for me ($).

Never heard about a guy who got burned by hot coffee at McDonalds...but did hear about the woman...who sued and was awarded a huge amount of money. Agree or disagree...but the arguement brought forth by her attorney was that the temperature of the McDonalds coffee was much hotter than that of their competitors....and it was kept that hot solely for competive reasons...like it or not....we know what the outcome was

The law enforcement folks may have been started out that morning attempting "in good faith" to protect the flying public....but somewhere their direction went haywire in releasing his name...mug shot etc to every news outlet in the country...then to find out...the DA has no case....and this man's reputation has been damaged....

Danged right he should sue....and I'll bet he's got a good attorney already...if not, he should.

Tejas

I smell what you are stepping in and I can only agree with you to a certain extent. Sure law enforcement screwed the pooch on this one, but none of this would have happened had he not given them probable cause to administer the test and then proceed to blow a .039. Reap what you sow. I have a hard time sympathing with this guy and his reputation. He works for a top name in the pax airline business, has had millions of dollars/years of training and is entrusted with millions of dollars worth of metal not to mention hundreds of lives on a daily basis. The only person at fault for damaging his reputation is the guy he sees in the mirror every morning. The only thing law enforcement is at fault for is being complete blockheads. SWA should be grateful that these blockheads prevented him from boarding that plane cause if something were to happen and post accident investigation revealed alcohol in his system SWA would be paying through their arse. In public SWA stands behind their pilot, but in private you can bet there was a sigh of relief heard throughout Dallas.

Please someone tell me how inacccurate these tests are again and that it's possible to blow a .039 if you happen to be sitting next to a guy in the terminal that used too much Aqua Velva and behind a guy that spilled his decaf frappachino on the carpet.*

*This would only be true during the fall equinox. If it occured on the summer solstice then it is actually possible to blow a .06.

Last edited:
Did the guy blow a .039 at the airport? At the police station? Where? If a law enforcement officer has probable cause to take a person into custody for alcohol and then that person blows, or takes a blood test, and that test confirms he is below the legal limit then there is nothing wrong with what the officer did. Sue all you want and you will never win a dime.

Your body loses approx. .015% alcohol per hour, for a normal person of reasonable health. So if he had quit drinking 8 hours prior to his breath test then he would have been at approx. .159 BAC. You also have a rise in BAC of .015 for every 12 0z beer you consume. So he would have had approx. 10 to 11 beers, shots of alcohol, or glasses of wine in his system when he quit drinking.

earl

Latest resources

Back