SWA pilot that blew .039

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh-ryan said:
I'm no supporter of the TSA and what happened to this guy, but for the sake of my traveling family I hope that they continue to scrutinize any pilot that appears to be under the influence. Let's face it, blowing a .039 indicates have a little more than one with dinner the night before. I don't think he should get a dime for his actions. Nor should he have been arrested and been treated the way he was. Both parties are at fault. I say do over.

May be your family should not travel by air as many pilots are fatigued which has the same affect on the body as alcohol.

Yeah, I guess I don't care about embarrassing the airline. Southwest does a good enough job doing this by themselves. But every time a loser like this shows up with liquor on his breath, it makes us all look bad. If he keeps his license, he is lucky the incompetents at SLC couldn't get him to a breathalizer any sooner. Fifteen minutes earlier and .04 or higher.... Maybe he should go buy them a beer...

tool. keep your own "furloughed" house in order. Oh, and if your not furloughed then change your name. Remember you are allowed to re-apply in 2 years.

800Dog said:
May be your family should not travel by air as many pilots are fatigued which has the same affect on the body as alcohol.

solid arguement there. I guess I shouldn't drive my family anywhere either since I could go blind at any minute from all the whacking off.

genius.

Good One!

Oh-ryan said:
solid arguement there. I guess I shouldn't drive my family anywhere either since I could go blind at any minute from all the whacking off.

genius.

Good One!
I guess I gots to quit too....

Oh-ryan said:

genius.

..."Daddy, what are you doing up there...what's that on the windshield Daddy?"

Oh-ryan said:

genius.

You have lots to learn. I do not advocate drinking and flying but please do some research. Alcohol and fatigue have the same affect. Quit whacking off and find a woman!!!!

ferlo said:
Why should a guy that shows up drunk to fly an airplane get a f-ing dime out of it? Despite the tone here, showing up drunk to fly a jet doesn't really make you cool, despite how much you think "herb" would approve.
A350 said:
I would think that blowing over a .02 at most carriers would get you canned....blowing over .04 means you lose your license.

Any LUV guys out there....lose the thick hide and admit the guy humiliated himself and all of us. Blowing a .039 is nothing to be proud of. Of course he wasn't DRUNK by driving standards, but he was impaired.

Stop defending him and trying to excoriate the authorities. They were doing their job, the SWA FO was doing his while impaired. He is dang lucky they didn't get him blowing on that thing even 10 minutes prior. We wouldn't be having this conversation.

A350
Ladies, he was not drunk, per the law. Just because he had a .039 does not mean he was .039 drunk! Go find someone else to burn at the stake. There is nothing wrong with drinking alcoholic beverages, which is what you are implying by complaining about him having ANY alcohol in his system. You are just proving your ignorance and stupidity.

I don't know how else to explain it other than he did nothing wrong, here are a bunch of definitions.

*intoxication
n. 1) the condition of being drunk as the result of drinking alcoholic beverages and/or use of narcotics. In the eyes of the law this definition may differ depending on the situation to which it is applied. 2) as it applies to drunk driving (DUI, DWI) the standard of intoxication varies by state between .08 and .10 alcohol in the bloodstream, or a combination of alcohol and narcotics which would produce the same effect even though the amount of alcohol is below the minimum. 3) as it applies to public drunkenness the standard is subjective, meaning the person must be unable to care for himself, be dangerous to himself or others, be causing a disturbance or refuse to leave or move along when requested. 4) a defense in a criminal case in which the claim is made by the defendant that he/she was too intoxicated to form an intent to commit the crime or to know what he/she was doing, where the amount of intoxication is subjective but higher than for drunk driving. There is also the question if the intoxication was an intentional aforethought to the crime ("I wanted to get drunk so I had the nerve to kill her"). Unintentional intoxication can show lack of capacity to form an intent and thus reduce the possible level of conviction and punishment, as from voluntary (intentional) manslaughter down to involuntary (unintentional but through a wrongful act) manslaughter. However, in vehicular manslaughter, the intoxication is an element in the crime, whether getting drunk was intentional or not, since criminal intent was not a factor.

*drunk
Noun 1. drunk - a chronic drinker Synonyms: drunkard, rummy, sot, inebriate 2. drunk - someone who is intoxicated Adj. 1. drunk - stupefied or excited by a chemical substance (especially alcohol); "a noisy crowd of intoxicated sailors"; "helplessly inebriated" Antonyms: sober - not affected by a chemical substance (especially alcohol) Synonyms: intoxicated, inebriated 2. drunk - as if under the influence of alcohol; "felt intoxicated by her success"; "drunk with excitement" Synonyms: intoxicated
By Wordnet Dictionary

Drunk: (?), a. 1. Intoxicated with, or as with, strong drink; inebriated; drunken; -- never used attributively, but always predicatively; as, the man is drunk (not, a drunk man).
Be not drunk with wine, where in is excess. Eph. v. 18.
Drunk with recent prosperity. Macaulay.
2. Drenched or saturated with moisture or liquid.
I will make mine arrows drunk with blood. Deut. xxxii. 42.

Drunk: , n. A drunken condition; a spree.

By Webster Dictionary

This article should be merged with intoxication Drunkenness, in its most common usage, is the state of being intoxicated with alcohol (i.e. ethanol) to a sufficient degree to impair mental and motor functioning.

*drunkdrunk v.Past participle of drink.

adj.1. a. Intoxicated with alcoholic liquor to the point of impairment of physical and mental faculties.
b. Caused or influenced by intoxication.

800Dog said:
You have lots to learn. I do not advocate drinking and flying but please do some research. Alcohol and fatigue have the same affect. Quit whacking off and find a woman!!!!

Dude, why are you reaching so far for this guy? Being tired is the same as being 1000th% away from legally drunk? The guy F'ed up. Let it go. He deserves some kind of punishment, not a windfall payday.

Perhaps it's time to quit defending the 1,2,3 rule in your contract as well. There's a reason no other airline pushes for a perpetual happy hour for their pilots.

Last edited:
Metro752 said:

Ladies, he was not drunk, per the law. Just because he had a .039 does not mean he was .039 drunk! Go find someone else to burn at the stake. There is nothing wrong with drinking alcoholic beverages, which is what you are implying by complaining about him having ANY alcohol in his system. You are just proving your ignorance and stupidity.

I don't know how else to explain it other than he did nothing wrong, here are a bunch of definitions.

*intoxication
n. 1) the condition of being drunk as the result of drinking alcoholic beverages and/or use of narcotics. In the eyes of the law this definition may differ depending on the situation to which it is applied. 2) as it applies to drunk driving (DUI, DWI) the standard of intoxication varies by state between .08 and .10 alcohol in the bloodstream, or a combination of alcohol and narcotics which would produce the same effect even though the amount of alcohol is below the minimum. 3) as it applies to public drunkenness the standard is subjective, meaning the person must be unable to care for himself, be dangerous to himself or others, be causing a disturbance or refuse to leave or move along when requested. 4) a defense in a criminal case in which the claim is made by the defendant that he/she was too intoxicated to form an intent to commit the crime or to know what he/she was doing, where the amount of intoxication is subjective but higher than for drunk driving. There is also the question if the intoxication was an intentional aforethought to the crime ("I wanted to get drunk so I had the nerve to kill her"). Unintentional intoxication can show lack of capacity to form an intent and thus reduce the possible level of conviction and punishment, as from voluntary (intentional) manslaughter down to involuntary (unintentional but through a wrongful act) manslaughter. However, in vehicular manslaughter, the intoxication is an element in the crime, whether getting drunk was intentional or not, since criminal intent was not a factor.

*drunk
Noun 1. drunk - a chronic drinker Synonyms: drunkard, rummy, sot, inebriate 2. drunk - someone who is intoxicated Adj. 1. drunk - stupefied or excited by a chemical substance (especially alcohol); "a noisy crowd of intoxicated sailors"; "helplessly inebriated" Antonyms: sober - not affected by a chemical substance (especially alcohol) Synonyms: intoxicated, inebriated 2. drunk - as if under the influence of alcohol; "felt intoxicated by her success"; "drunk with excitement" Synonyms: intoxicated
By Wordnet Dictionary

Drunk: (?), a. 1. Intoxicated with, or as with, strong drink; inebriated; drunken; -- never used attributively, but always predicatively; as, the man is drunk (not, a drunk man).
Be not drunk with wine, where in is excess. Eph. v. 18.
Drunk with recent prosperity. Macaulay.
2. Drenched or saturated with moisture or liquid.
I will make mine arrows drunk with blood. Deut. xxxii. 42.

Drunk: , n. A drunken condition; a spree.

By Webster Dictionary

This article should be merged with intoxication Drunkenness, in its most common usage, is the state of being intoxicated with alcohol (i.e. ethanol) to a sufficient degree to impair mental and motor functioning.

*drunkdrunk v.Past participle of drink.

adj.1. a. Intoxicated with alcoholic liquor to the point of impairment of physical and mental faculties.
b. Caused or influenced by intoxication.

...you've got to be some liberal arts sophomore at a college in Kansas, Missouri, or Arkansas...nice cut and paste research...but ya got too many dangling participles...your English 201 TA is gonna kick yer arss...now, get outta the library and back to yer dorm before curfew...see ya in the real world inna coupla years, rookie...

Latest resources

Back