• Start date
  • Watchers 32

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
since i actually know this guy who passed on the FEDEX offer (he was in my wedding), i thought i would clarify.....

his wife certainly was/is no factor...

money was/is not a factor...

he simply loves SWA, and couldn't go back to flying night freight....

not a choice I would have made, and it certainly didn't helped my chances of getting a sponsor, but it is what it is and everyone makes choices based on their own circumstances and experiences.

i wonder if anyone on this thread has ever actually FLOWN for SWA then left and went to FEDEX ....thats who's opinion i would like to hear.

My buds at SWA luv it....i started the thread to jab my friend SWA/FO...that's all..it was then hijacked...it wasn't about your friend at all..it was about the jab at SWA/FO and he humorously responded quite well...then someone posted they would rather be unemployed than work at FDX...that sounded idiotic to me..but whatever....and i agree..it would be nice to hear from someone who has done both...different jobs ..different lifestyles....and good luck with the sponsor thing.....and hey purpleinmem...what's up with the bobby brady hall monitor thing...we have moderators...but thanks for your public service announcements...i thought we were all on the same team...and this stuff is funny sometimes...got it...hey is flightinfo a private forum now..since we have to pay....can i say "booby"?

CaptainMark said:
...what's up with the bobby brady hall monitor thing..."?

One of the funniest sub-references I have ever heard on here. :laugh:

runfast said:
since i actually know this guy who passed on the FEDEX offer (he was in my wedding), i thought i would clarify.....

I love SWA...I don't want to fly night freight...gee, I think I'll apply to FedEx, go through the effort of getting references and a sponsor, do a meet-n-greet, interview, and then turn down their offer if I make it.
Sounds like your buddy is a tool (or possibly bipolar).

TheBaron said:
I love SWA...I don't want to fly night freight...gee, I think I'll apply to FedEx, go through the effort of getting references and a sponsor, do a meet-n-greet, interview, and then turn down their offer if I make it.
Sounds like your buddy is a tool (or possibly bipolar).

That's exactly what I was thinking. Yeah, I'll start the FedEX application process, which takes a minimum of a year (total), find a good friend to sponsor me, find 2 to 4 other recs, take my FE written, jumpseat to MEM, ANC, LAX or SFS on my day off to do a meet n greet, etc... and I hate freight and love Southwest?

Yup, that sounds totally reasonable. Whata smart guy.

Last edited:
propjob27 said:
That's exactly what I was thinking. Yeah, I'll start the FedEX application process, which takes a minimum of a year (total), find a good friend to sponsor me, find 2 to 4 other recs, take my FE written, jumpseat to MEM, ANC, LAX or SFS on my day off to do a meet n greet, etc... and I hate freight and love Southwest?

Yup, that sounds totally reasonable. Whata smart guy.

Did he have the job at Southwest yet?

CaptainMark said:
you mean you would rather be unemployed that fly for the largest most profitable cargo airline in the world with the best vacation policy, retirement plan and work rules. i guess you don't want to fly widebodies all over the world or even domestically....i guess u don't want to retire a millionaire...and FDX is about 60% dayflying now...you aren't too bright huh?

This is why you started the thread, so you could once again show the world how small your tool is.

runfast said:

not a choice I would have made, and it certainly didn't helped my chances of getting a sponsor, but it is what it is and everyone makes choices based on their own circumstances and experiences.

i wonder if anyone on this thread has ever actually FLOWN for SWA then left and went to FEDEX ....thats who's opinion i would like to hear.

Well: I can come close. My primary sponsor at FedEx worked at SW for a couple months after IOE and then left for FedEx. That wasn't his plan, it is just the way it worked out. He took the job at SW and later got the offer from FedEx.

When asked he said (and reminds me often, since I was in the pool at SW over 2 years and turned down a class date since I had been here a year and a half) that he could work less and make more money at FedEx. Those were his words almost verbatim.

That is simply one perspective and I can respect that. There is much more to life than money, but it IS a JOB and the primary goal should be to provide for the family and have as much time with them as you can.

Living in Memphis and standing reserve (when staffing is sufficient) is an outstanding way to spend a lot of time with your family and make decent money at FedEx. Its not for everybody, but it can be a fairly good JOB.

Not the tremendous job that management wants us to believe everybody would kill their mother to have, just a pretty good job with decent benefits. Nothing more, nothing less.

I personally think it is short sighted to dismiss the FedEx OPTION, but I can certainly understand why some would prefer domestic day flying over SOME of the flying we do at FedEx.

I also have no problem with somebody taking the time to apply, getting the interview and eventual job offer turning it down either. That is the purpose of an interview after all, for both parties to determine if they are a good fit. That slot is still available for somebody who really wants it, and that individual and his family will be much happier (hopefully) in the long run.

I can think of several reasons why I wanted to go to SW instead of FedEx, the timing just worked out the other way for me. I wouldn't begrudge anybody having a choice to make and making the best one for them and their family. After all, its just business and the company would have had no problem telling you no thanks after a year or more in the pool if there was a downturn in the industry.

Live and let live.

FJ

Latest resources

Back