• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pilot broke rules at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a quick question for the SW guys. The article that keeps getting posted states that the NTSB found the autobrake switch in the Max position. Then goes on to state that the pilot started to brake manually. On the 767, if you brake manually, the autobrake system disarms and the switch moves to the disarm position, does the 737 operate the same? If so, there would seem to be a disconnect in the facts.

On the 737 the system disarms, but the switch does NOT snap to the off position.

A point that has not been made in this "discussion" is that the hotter a carbon brake gets during braking the more efficient it is for said braking.

Secondly, carbon brakes disipate the heat faster then steel brakes, thus allowing for quicker turn times.

Finally, Lowecur, the brake temp tables you refer to are for cool down time before the next takeoff when the brake temp sensors are inoperative and the actually brake temperature cannot be determined. It has nothing to do with the temp of the brakes before pushback. You could take off anytime after a landing as long as the brake temps are in the green no matter which braking option was used for the prior landing. And all landings never cause the same temperature increase. Factors such as ambient outside air temp, moisture content of the ambient air, thickness of the brake pads and friction disks all come into play in determining how hot a set of brakes will get during a landing.

Hey lowecure or whatever your name is. The OPC calculates landing data in the 700 with the thrust reversers working the, 300-500 doesn't.... basically what my point is......... you need to GET LAID!!!!

TCAS said:
Finally, Lowecur, the brake temp tables you refer to are for cool down time before the next takeoff when the brake temp sensors are inoperative and the actually brake temperature cannot be determined. It has nothing to do with the temp of the brakes before pushback. Sooo, are you saying that the tables are important or not? You could take off anytime after a landing as long as the brake temps are in the green no matter which braking option was used for the prior landing. Well if the sensors are inoperative, just how is the green determined? And all landings never cause the same temperature increase. Factors such as ambient outside air temp, moisture content of the ambient air, thickness of the brake pads and friction disks all come into play in determining how hot a set of brakes will get during a landing.
.....:pimp:

commode Air said:
Hey lowecure or whatever your name is. The OPC calculates landing data in the 700 with the thrust reversers working the, 300-500 doesn't.... basically what my point is......... you need to GET LAID!!!!
OK!:)

For the record: SWA a/c do not have brake temp sensors or indications in the cockpit.

regionaltard said:
I'd go so far as to say that a landing made solely by reference to the HGS cue in AIII mode (more likely the Flight Director or Primary mode was being used here) will typically be a bit on the long side.
It would be 1000 ft long. When AIII is selected in the OPC it adds 1000 ft to the landing length. If you are using IMC, VMC, or Primary it doesn't add anything to the landing distance.

737tanker said:
It would be 1000 ft long. When AIII is selected in the OPC it adds 1000 ft to the landing length. If you are using IMC, VMC, or Primary it doesn't add anything to the landing distance.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. It's been my experience that landings made solely by reference to the flare and idle cues in AIII mode tend to result in touchdowns more than the nominal 1000 feet from the threshold.

I believe that 1000 feet is actually subtracted from the entered runway length for the RO calculation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back