• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pilot broke rules at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But as they approached, Stearney said, the sound of jetliners brought tears to their eyes. Lisa closed her eyes until the airport was out of sight.

Fcuk this ambulance-chasing, grandstanding, media-exploiting piece of sh!t.

What a waste of oxygen. :angryfire

Again youre an idiot, what does the autobrake have to do with productivity in the eyes of a insurance man? We dont have the disarm feature on the autobrake like the 767.

Lowecur,

You are partially right. When situations dictate (long runway), you can decellerate the aircraft with thrust reversers until you are almost at taxi speed. This of course uses less braking energy and keeps the brakes cooler. And in normal circumstances, delaying braking would keep brakes cooler and allow for quicker turns. Bottom line is if any brake is hot, you shouldn't push back for the next leg until they have cooled adequately..

When using even lower autobrake settings, after touchdown and a brief delay, braking begins. Pilots can always take over manual braking at any time.

In this situation, I don't think brake energy was an issue. With the short runway and slippery conditions, max braking should be used either by autobraking or manual.

It does sound like the 59 YEAR OLD CAPTAIN had trouble with the thrust reversers. But his landing data would be calculated WITHOUT thrust reversers anyway so he should still be able to stop. He also wasn't following company policy with regards to using autobrakes. If they aren't authorized (for any reason) you shouldn't use them. Sounds like BAD judgement by him. I am sure lawsuits will fly and it will be a big payoff by SWA.

furloughed dude said:
Lowecur,

You are partially right. When situations dictate (long runway), you can decellerate the aircraft with thrust reversers until you are almost at taxi speed. This of course uses less braking energy and keeps the brakes cooler. And in normal circumstances, delaying braking would keep brakes cooler and allow for quicker turns. Bottom line is if any brake is hot, you shouldn't push back for the next leg until they have cooled adequately..

When using even lower autobrake settings, after touchdown and a brief delay, braking begins. Pilots can always take over manual braking at any time.

In this situation, I don't think brake energy was an issue. With the short runway and slippery conditions, max braking should be used either by autobraking or manual.

It does sound like the 59 YEAR OLD CAPTAIN had trouble with the thrust reversers. But his landing data would be calculated WITHOUT thrust reversers anyway so he should still be able to stop. He also wasn't following company policy with regards to using autobrakes. If they aren't authorized (for any reason) you shouldn't use them. Sounds like BAD judgement by him. I am sure lawsuits will fly and it will be a big payoff by SWA.
Thanks for at least giving me some due.

As far as the CA is concerned, I have no opinion. He did what he thought was best at the time.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] In addition to the autobrakes, transportation expert Aaron Gellman, head of Northwestern University's Transportation Center, says part of the crash probe should center on whether the pilot was using the plane's "head-up display" which provides flight path guidance in low visibility landings.

"It's used in such a way that touchdown is at a very low speed and also puts you down right near the end of the runway," Gellman said. "If he was not using it, he was not using one of the major tools available to him."

Somebody needs to straighten out Professor Gellman about the use of a HUD, and he should have his ability to be referred to as a 'transportation expert' taken away.

Before LowerIQ seizes on this as another element of the accident, the HUD provides the same glidepath as the Primary Flight Display and would cause the exact same touchdown point. Airspeed info would be exactly the same as well. F'ing expert should keep his mouth shut and leave the analysis to real professionals.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

furloughed dude said:
Lowecur,

You are exercising bad judgement and a lack of professionalism by passing judgement on this Captain/Crew. You were not there and do not know what they knew. If you believe that you can make a judgement based upon what you see/read in the press, you must not have been around aviation for very long. BTW, reverse thrust is considered on the 737-700 landing performance.

As for the person you were replying to, my seven year-old can carry on a more intelligent discussion on this subject. At least she knows to keep her mouth shut and simply ask questions when she gets into an area that she knows little or nothing about.

on the -700 the TRs are used in landing distance calculations. This has been stated many times on flightinfo, since the accident.

Chest Rockwell said:
As for the person you were replying to, my seven year-old can carry on a more intelligent discussion on this subject. At least she knows to keep her mouth shut and simply ask questions when she gets into an area that she knows little or nothing about.
Chest, are you the mother, father, or just androgyneous? It's hard to tell with the avatar.

:beer:

EagleRJ said:
Fcuk this ambulance-chasing, grandstanding, media-exploiting piece of sh!t.

What a waste of oxygen. :angryfire
I guess I shouldn't have my people call yours about doing lunch. Oh, well!:nuts:

njcapt said:
Somebody needs to straighten out Professor Gellman about the use of a HUD, and he should have his ability to be referred to as a 'transportation expert' taken away.

Before LowerIQ seizes on this as another element of the accident, the HUD provides the same glidepath as the Primary Flight Display and would cause the exact same touchdown point. Airspeed info would be exactly the same as well. F'ing expert should keep his mouth shut and leave the analysis to real professionals.

I'd go so far as to say that a landing made solely by reference to the HGS cue in AIII mode (more likely the Flight Director or Primary mode was being used here) will typically be a bit on the long side.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back