Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Slug said:
Lowercur,

........nothing has ever been mentioned of brake temps. It is a matter of energy absorbed.

They're one and the same. If autobrakes are more effective i.e., they absorb more of the aircraft's kinetic energy, the end result of that work will be more heat.

[ Not only am I surprised that these two pilots turned on the operable auto-brake system, I am pleased that they did. That was truly great airmanship in my opinion.

The most important aspect of this issue is this.The autobrake system was not the cause of this accident.

I agree...I think that using the autobrake system was a great decision. Assuming that all parameters of the autobrake system including RTO were functional fleetwide. (Did SWA deactivate everything but RTO?) Anyway, it was a great decision in my book. Manual braking in my opinion does not apply equal psi to the brakes especially in slick weather and as someone said earlier..you can have your heels on the floor controlling the rudder at the higher speeds.

This in my opinion is clear attempts of a lawyer and the press trying to exploit an unfortunate situation independent of any technical understanding of the facts. IOW...making money selling newspapers and chasing ambulances...sickening

Last edited:
This may a bit off topic but it just occurred to me. The press releases stated that the CA had been with Southwest for 10 years and the FO for, I believe 2.5 years. I thought WN only started hiring again in early 2004. 2.5 years with Southwest would put the FO's hire date around mid 2003. Were the press reports in error, or was the FO somehow hired before the rest of the new hires? Just curious.

:mad: That was one slippery runway.

scoreboard said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug
Lowercur,

Just stick to insurance. I don't know where you got your 30 min turn crap, but its not true. Sure it is, what other reason would they have to use manual braking? Lot of reasons, 30 min turn is not one of them. Then I suggest you give us the top five reasons Do the brakes have to be at a certain temperature before pushing back? NO Really, then why did a previous poster state otherwise. Are you saying autobraking doesn't raise the brake temp higher than manual? NO, they do not, proven by Boeing. That's like letting Merck state that Vioxx is safe. I'm not even a pilot Thank GOD!!, and I'll bet I'm right. Nope, your not, foiled again by the truth. yup, vindicated by concensus.:p If I were your flt instructor Again, your not, But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!:p I would recommend you look into a future as an FA. And yours as a monk. I love that position.

We have been training on the autobrakes for the past couple of months and nothing has ever been mentioned of brake temps. You need to get new instructors. Again, your ignorance on the subject is documented. It is a matter of energy absorbed.

Go away, just go away.

Slug

and yes, I know it is lowecur, but lowercur seems more appropriate

.....:pimp:

......!!!
,,...:pimp:

El-Rushbo said:
This may a bit off topic but it just occurred to me. The press releases stated that the CA had been with Southwest for 10 years and the FO for, I believe 2.5 years. I thought WN only started hiring again in early 2004. 2.5 years with Southwest would put the FO's hire date around mid 2003. Were the press reports in error, or was the FO somehow hired before the rest of the new hires? Just curious.

During 911 we delayed hiring for several months, but resumed at beginning of '02, and have hired every year since.

Just reading along, but Scorecard...that was really funny. Point, set Match!

Lowercur...as in cur of a lesser nature? Isn't that like changing your name to latrine because everything worse is already taken? Walter mitty had nothing on you, mate.

Latest resources

Back