Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA letters of "Thanks but no thanks, see ya next year.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

p3hawk

Same as it ever was
For those of you, like me , who have previously interviewed with SouthWest and did not make the DB cut, I talked with Kim today at the PD concerning when I should start reapplying. Whether after or before the year was up. She said start renewing online apps asap, when your at the one year mark of your past interview call her or Linsey, or Ryan or the PD ingeneral, and they will shift your name and quals back into the interview pool. Hopefully to be called again.

Hope this helps someone who might have gotten "the letter" in stead of the call.
P3Hawk.

The SWA interview process is begining to feel and look like UAL's back in the heyday...

I guess they want to see how bad u want the job. U where not good enough the first round, but maybe one year of "learning" how to "ACT" and BS better and Ki$$ A$$ you will get the job.

I hate these games. DO NOT INTERVIEW PEOPLE, if u are not going to hire them. I am sure u guys had plenty of time and recs. I am also sure u guys where good pilots . U had your type too. I dont get what a year is going to do.

Good Luck\
Cya

Animal Tail, so everyone that frontier has interviewed they have hired? We are using the same model, except for the loi, that we have used over the past years, except now we have a heck of a lot more applications then in the past. So excuse us if we attempt to interview all that are qualified and give everyone an equal chance if they are. Not everyone is going to make it. I don't know of an airline where they do. It is obvious that you don't wish to work for SWA and that is fine, it is not the place for everyone.

AnimalTale said:
The SWA interview process is begining to feel and look like UAL's back in the heyday...

I guess they want to see how bad u want the job. U where not good enough the first round, but maybe one year of "learning" how to "ACT" and BS better and Ki$$ A$$ you will get the job.

I hate these games. DO NOT INTERVIEW PEOPLE, if u are not going to hire them. I am sure u guys had plenty of time and recs. I am also sure u guys where good pilots . U had your type too. I dont get what a year is going to do.

I have been asking the same thing but the Stepford Wives on here get all bent out of shape.

AnimalTale said:

Good Luck\
Cya

Gotta agree with AnimalTale on this one - the proportion of great people who have been turned down (get over yourself, those that have been hired - you're not that much stellar, if at all, than some of the people who have not been successful) to those who have been hired is too large. You guys might be protective of your interview process, especially because you might feel rather "elite" having been hired, however, there is simply no rhyme or reason that some of the great guys haven't been hired that I know who have interviewed. I have no desire to work for SWA, largely because I do take a lot of pride in the quality of the product of my airline. Go ahead - flame away, ye SWA worshipers, but that won't change my mind. No, I'm not bitter, I just feel that working for the (albeit profitable) K-Mart of the sky doesn't float my boat. I know a lot of great people who have been hired, and I'm very happy that they're fulfilled with their company - it is a company that has pretty much taken this industry by storm - but it's certainly not for me.

It seems SWA has lost a lot of respect due to their current hiring (aka, not-hiring) practices, and are leaving a lot of good souls behind. So far as hiring EVERYBODY who interviews? Of course not - somebody might look great on paper and be a total tool in person. In fact, they shouldn't have to be a TOTAL tool to get turned down - they should be driven, personable, competent, etc., etc., but many people who are being turned down are exactly the former. The "elitist attitude" that SWA seems to have taken on seems totally contradictory to its basic movement of providing air travel to the "common man" and emulates UAL almost to the "t." Has SWA forgotten its rather humble beginnings? A shame that getting large turns good companies like SWA into total tools. They should fire themselves. OK, now I'm ranting.

OffHot said:
Animal Tail, so everyone that frontier has interviewed they have hired? We are using the same model, except for the loi, that we have used over the past years, except now we have a heck of a lot more applications then in the past. So excuse us if we attempt to interview all that are qualified and give everyone an equal chance if they are. Not everyone is going to make it. I don't know of an airline where they do. It is obvious that you don't wish to work for SWA and that is fine, it is not the place for everyone.

The above comment comparing SWA to UAL seems to have some merit. Nice attitude, OffHot. I guess you are an example of the "new" SWA pilot.

I too interviewed and got the dreaded letter.

I still believe SWA is one of the few great companies in the US and, currently......the best airline in the US as far as security, pay, and QOL is concerned.

I do NOT agree, however, with SWA's interview model. Sure, everyone was pleasant. Very friendly. Very professional. I saw very little in the way of "head games", but the TMAAT questions and HR involvement I have issues with. That being said, with hiring rates of 1 in 5 interviewed, saying things like "The job is yours to loose" and "We are ready to hire all of you being interviewed" is total BS.

I went on to getting hired by a major aerospace corporation and THAT interview process was truly up front and what I expect from a professional business. My resume told them all they needed to know about my qualifications for the job and all they wanted to see was if I was a good fit. They DID NOT have 50 guys all waiting for the same job. They only interviewed 2, myself included, and hired the one they wanted.

I have seen too many really great guys get the letter from SWA who would have been perfect fits, much better than others I have seen get hired.:rolleyes:

If you have the quals to get called to the interview, barring some MAJOR f-up or serious black mark in your past (ie criminal record, falsifying documents, etc) then the hiring rate should be more like 3-4 out of 5 interviewed gets hired. Otherwise, SWA HR is wasting a lot of folks time, money, and energy.

JMHO. Congrats to all those who got to their dream and my honest best wishes for, and good luck to, Southwest Airlines, but I think the HR and DB folks, based on what I saw and have seen and heard since, are taking themselves a little too seriously.

No rant, not bitter, very happy where I landed. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
48.3 Hours

Elapsed time since last post on this forum went sour on SWA.

You guys kill me.

Nobody applies without knowing the chances, costs, risks, and rewards.

Don't interview unless we hire everyone/majority of everyone? YGBSM.

So we should never let the off chance low time great kid who interviews well to be interviewed/hired? We should only hire the highest time, first in line, been on the list the longest? Hardly.

We have our ways, they have worked for 30 plus years, don't like it, don't apply.

The HR hiring process has been an evolving process for all companies, litigation being the primary driver for change I'm sure.

And, best of luck, this place is not for everyone, hope you find yours. Cheers.

AnimalTale said:
The SWA interview process is begining to feel and look like UAL's back in the heyday..
Cya

At lease in the heyday UAL was not a PFT airline. Yea yea I know SWA is great place to work though.

Bozt45, actually I'm not a "new" SWA pilot. What attitude? If you don't want to work here then apply somewhere else. That is true in any business, not just the airlines. Like jetalc said, he enjoys where he works, fine what is wrong with that. What SWA pilot is saying your wrong not to work for us? You also don't have to agree with our interview model, but it does work (most of the time). Not every pilot wants to work for SWA, and not every pilot is what SWA, JetBlue, AirTran, etc wants. That is why they interview. We have a positive attitude, as those who do get hired would agree, but some, like you, say we are playing head games. Bozt45 how many airlines have you worked for, and how many airline interviews have you had? Are we that different? Animaltale, how many UA interviews have you had to make your statement. Seen them both, they are not alike. UA was looking for something and interviewed to get it, so does SWA, JetBlue, Airtran, etc. We will miss good people, there is no doubt, that is why we ask that you apply again, so maybe we don't make the same mistake twice. The interview process is not perfect, but it has worked well for us for may years.

Latest resources

Back