• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If memory serves, didn't some a-hole from American give an interview in USA today after the ValuJet crash, talking about low quality pilots or something, only to have Cali happen just a little later? Or do I have that wrong?

The guy who thinks it will never happen to him is the most dangerous.

Except ValuJet had nothing to do with pilot error.

If SWA used the IAN approach capability of the airplane, you would get ILS-like indications in the cockpit. This crew would have had full-scale deviations for both Final Approach Course and Glidepath. IAN isn't fool-proof, but about as close as it gets.

I really don't understand the logic of dumbing down the airplanes. IAN would do much to reduce the number of unstabilized approaches, overruns, and this latest rash of buffoonery.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the logic of dumbing down the airplanes. IAN would do much to reduce the number of unstabilized approaches, overruns, and this latest rash of buffoonery.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, that's why

Still waiting from a SW guy, do all of your aircraft have RAAS onboard? Even without the approach in the box they should have heard they were approaching the wrong runway......

KBBG has an RNAV approach to RWY 14 which has a FAF, and is in the FMS data base. KPLK isn't even in the database, so it would not even come up on the FMS map. If you're not reducing the scale on your map when entering a terminal area, then you just aren't using your equipment properly. It has a range selector for a reason.

Over my career flying Honeywell FMS (MD88,757/767, B777, CE 680) and other FMS with a Honeywell map display, I can tell you there are those who do not scale the map down when they should. I am just saying you could follow the magenta line to the wrong airport if the map is scaled such that the airports are either superimposed or very blurred together.

CBS evening news just reported that ATC warned the inbound Branson flight that they were "off course". They also said that neither pilot had been there at night.

Latest resources

Back