• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While little to nothing will be done about our operational issues at places like MDW (it's the polar vortex's fault!, not a management failure!), this will result in many new procedures, probably long past due. IAN, Required runway in FMC, callouts, briefings, etc.

In their defense, lets say they were hooked up FMC wise using the stuff, anyone notice that from the North the two runways do tend to align and if you were glancing at the Magenta for backup, you would be pretty close depending on range scale. And lighting looks similar. Not making excuses, just saying.

Last edited:
While little to nothing will be done about our operational issues at places like MDW (it's the polar vortex's fault!, not a management failure!), this will result in many new procedures, probably long past due. IAN, Required runway in FMC, callouts, briefings, etc.

In their defense, lets say they were hooked up FMC wise using the stuff, anyone notice that from the North the two runways do tend to align and if you were glancing at the Magenta for backup, you would be pretty close depending on range scale. And lighting looks similar. Not making excuses, just saying.

If you were talking about MCO or DFW I think you would have a case, but for runways that are nine miles apart, that's a hard sell. Just saying.

Don't you notice on short final how ridiculously short the runways looks? I know it was night but 3700ft still has to look pretty freakin short.

My takeaway: many nights to dark and desolate airports...controllers want to pimp u to take a visual, or...they vector u close in base 1500' inside FAF. No more...on initial contact, ATC will get the ATIS code and request vectors OUTSIDE FAF for the visual (if no FAF; 7 mi final off extended runway). ATC coffee break will have to wait another two min.

Sorry for the crew and keeping my fingers crossed that they keep their jobs

My thoughts precisely. I cringe when I see controllers trying to vector me inside the FAF. And, I hate it when they constantly keep asking if we have the airport in sight. Vector us to final and, when we're straightened out maybe we'll see it!

IAN would be very useful in foreign countries like Mexico and other countries in Central and South America. Let's see shall we; mountainous terrain, language barriers, confusing DME arcs into non precision approaches with step downs. All this in what is for most of us unfamiliar territory. It's my understanding that with IAN you simply press APP and she flies it like an ILS. No matter what type of approach might be available; non GS ILS, LOC, LOC BC, RNAV. It's suppose to simplify and declutter the approach segment of the flight. No building anything nor figuring out descent rates or VDPs. Thus, giving pilots more time to monitor and maintain situational awareness.

All this being said, I truly do feel for the crew. This career can be like walking through a war zone while avoiding being shot.

Well,

Before the Luvbirds swarm and jump on my post....this could happen to anybody. I'd be lying if I haven't had that "Hey, is that the right runway" moment outside my window a few times in my career.

Glass houses was brought up earlier....let's refrain from the windcheck and taxiway landing stuff for awhile and do what's right......pick on General Lee!!

Who is the approach facility and was Bransons tower open?

C'mon man...at least they were "on Speed" and landed in the "zone"

If not, they wouldn't have stopped:beer:

Incidents like these are possible for any of us, with just the right planetary alignment of fatigue, expectations, visual perception error, etc, etc.

Hope they keep their jobs.

Latest resources

Back