• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA lands at wrong Branson Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"The pilots said the approach had been programmed into the plane's flight management system, but that they saw the bright runway lights of Clark Downtown Airport and flew a visual approach into what they mistakenly believed to be Branson Airport."

Hmm. This is harder to defend. Having the approach loaded into the box, but neither pilot is paying attention to it? Not good.

You should read the book "Sky Gods.". Pay special attention to the problems Pan Am had with captains who could do no wrong.

As to how many mistakes are ok, the answer is simple: as many as you can mitigate. I have yet to fly the perfect flight and I make mistakes. I catch most of them and the other pilot catches the few I miss. (the goal is to mitigate in the flight deck vs ATC or an incident!) This is why we stress effective CRM and pilot monitoring. Nobody is perfect and I highly doubt you bring an "A" game every time. Everyone needs to remember one thing when these things happens: There is always a chain of events that lead up to an incident. Multiple people have an opportunity to break a link and prevent an incident. So, that being said, if the pilots did not willfully violate policy or purposely act reckless, they should not be hung out alone to dry by armchair quarterbacks.

You don't hear what I'm saying, you want this to be about me but it's not

I submit the only acceptable mistakes are the ones that don't get you violated. I've made plenty ....but this debate is about private pilot stuff. Remember the first cross country. Solo? Remember checking your VFR sectional to be sure the railroad tracks were where they were suppose to be ? Or how about the airport?

What happened to planning a VDP? If airport EL was 1300 WTF?

And what about the FIX page.? DME is DME ain't it?

FO had been with Southwest since 2001? How long is the upgrade currently or do many just pass it up for QOL.

Except Fox

Always trust fox

Fair and balanced

Another lib offended by their great satan, Fox news. But of course you always trust msnbc,abc,nbc, cbs, new york times, los angeles times, etc.etc., because those guys are an arm of your beloved dumbocrat party.

Even on a visual it is prudent and by some operators required to monitor an electronic glideslope if available...a tuned ILS whether visual or not is an early indicator of something not going right

Another lib offended by their great satan, Fox news. But of course you always trust msnbc,abc,nbc, cbs, new york times, los angeles times, etc.etc., because those guys are an arm of your beloved dumbocrat party.

That's right....anyone who doesn't follow the gospel according to Fox or Rush is a lib....and anyone who doesn't believe in Maddow and MSM are angry old rich white guys..They are all full of sheeeet...repubs, dems....blah, blah, blah...they have an agenda sans reporting factual news...follow the money for the real agenda....don't have to hold your nose and choose...stay independent ...try doing your own thinking instead of listening to all the bubbleheads....they really all are idiots which doesn't speak well for those of us who believe in their dribble

Latest resources

Back