Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA labor strife, strike on the horizon...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My FO buddys say that the Capts they fly with aren't very interested in the union. He says they all basically say, "Don't rock the boat." They don't really care if they get pay raises...they are quite fine with the status quo.

I never mentioned ALPA. I'm just saying that SWA pilots will vote in the first thing put in front of them. Led by the senior folks who don't want to mess up a good thing...the junior guys plight really isn't on their radar.

Not all of them!!!

Pretty true statement in regards to the senior "Kernals" we have here :(

My FO buddys say that the Capts they fly with aren't very interested in the union. He says they all basically say, "Don't rock the boat." They don't really care if they get pay raises...they are quite fine with the status quo.

I never mentioned ALPA. I'm just saying that SWA pilots will vote in the first thing put in front of them. Led by the senior folks who don't want to mess up a good thing...the junior guys plight really isn't on their radar.

Probably true about most of the senior guys, but SWA has hired so many pilots in the past 5-6 years from different carriers and I think those that don't want to rock the boat are in the minority. BTW, I'm more than happy with what I make.

Probably true about most of the senior guys, but SWA has hired so many pilots in the past 5-6 years from different carriers and I think those that don't want to rock the boat are in the minority. BTW, I'm more than happy with what I make.
What you make really won't matter much if we don't get this codeshare thing contained.

As I recall, it was also during that time that the then-SWAPA President and Jim Parker got into a public battle over the contract extension.

That SWAPA President got us the 2nd highest pay raise in SWAPA history ( not a small feat just after 9-11) but the "old guard" pilots got uncomfortable with the union President acting like a ...union President.

And, as memory serves correct, he recommended that we vote down the contract extension...it passed anyway.

But he got voted out...in favor of a "gentleman" who is now the SWAPA President.

Since then, the company has established a "Labor Relations" office with a VP at the helm. Of course that VP came from.....Herb's law firm in SAT.

Interesting. This is starting to sound a lot like an ALPA operation.

The "gentleman" that the "old guard" pilots supported will capitulate to the company, sell it to the crew force, and move into the new "Labor Relations" shortly after signing. (hand-picked by management, not as payment for the capitulation contract, but because of his "expertise")

Anyone else seen this one play out at ALPA carriers over and over?

PIPE

Tank,

Your buddy hasn't flown with me. I try to "educate" every FO I fly with that codeshare is the cancer of our future, no retro is not an option, cost of living is a MUST, and I'd be just fine with a pay raise.

Crazy aint it?

Gup

Tank,

Your buddy hasn't flown with me. I try to "educate" every FO I fly with that codeshare is the cancer of our future, no retro is not an option, cost of living is a MUST, and I'd be just fine with a pay raise.

Crazy aint it?

Gup

You da' MAN!!!!!!:cool:

Tank,

Crazy aint it?

Gup

Whatever you say...but from what I'm hearing, most SWA guys think that the pilot group will vote for whatever is put in front of them.

Whatever you say...but from what I'm hearing, most SWA guys think that the pilot group will vote for whatever is put in front of them.

SWA is no different than any other group. You've got a third that are "Herb Davidians", a third that are hardcore, and a third in the middle. It's the middle third that will decide the outcome.

Latest resources

Back