• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fr8doggie

Canis Onus
A Question:

Assuming both pilot groups approve the AIP2, when will pilots operating under the SWAPA contract begin flying the international operations that AirTran currently flies?

The reason that I ask is I'm curious if the current SWAPA contract has an international override provision? Airtan pays $4/hr override.

Other airline guys: Please chime in with your int'l override (if any).

Last edited:
I believe it will be before the 717s make their way to the canyon blue side, which would make it sometime in 2013.

Jetblue came up with a great international overide.
Then they promptly declared nearly all international destinations "not international".
I believe 2 airports still pay international.

Very Bluethy.

We will be trained and capable of Intl Ops in 2012. Not too sure when we'll be used for such, but probably late that same year, or next. No provisions in our CBA 'yet'.

We will be trained and capable of Intl Ops in 2012. Not too sure when we'll be used for such, but probably late that same year, or next. No provisions in our CBA 'yet'.

You mean we'll have a class on how to decipher bad english ? That's the real secret to international ops...

A Question:

Assuming both pilot groups approve the AIP2, when will pilots operating under the SWAPA contract begin flying the international operations that AirTran currently flies?

The reason that I ask is I'm curious if the current SWAPA contract has an international override provision? Airtan pays $4/hr override.

Other airline guys: Please chime in with your int'l override (if any).

I think a better question would be, if it is passed by both sides, When is ALPA out the window? Then everyone is a SWAPA pilot on SWAPA's MSL (Master seniority List)! Which means that SWAPA pilot's would be doing the flying (whether it be a Blue plane or a green one)! You guys gotta stop thinking US AND THEM! All this will need to be opened up for negotiation with the company.

BTW, and $4.00 override...BFD, consider most of those places "Dollars" are worth more than ours, they probably don't even want our Dollars anymore! ANyone ever take the time to check out what the IRS allows for per diem in these countries? Override should be a minimum of $50.00!

KBB

BTW, and $4.00 override...BFD, consider most of those places "Dollars" are worth more than ours, they probably don't even want our Dollars anymore! ANyone ever take the time to check out what the IRS allows for per diem in these countries? Override should be a minimum of $50.00!

KBB

:rolleyes: $50/hour override seems a little steep.

:confused: Most airlines that fly international have an international per diem (it helps but usually won't get close to the IRS rates). The override (usually paid per flight hour) is generally used to account for the additional work involved with flying internationally. $4/hour seems about right for Mexico or the Caribbean.

:rolleyes: $50/hour override seems a little steep.

:confused: Most airlines that fly international have an international per diem (it helps but usually won't get close to the IRS rates). The override (usually paid per flight hour) is generally used to account for the additional work involved with flying internationally. $4/hour seems about right for Mexico or the Caribbean.

A per diem override should apply to the time away from base TAFB or some other applicable metric; do you get a per diem override in addition to international flight pay override?

Per diem is mostly non-taxable . . . plus it usually applies to more hours. If you fly 8 hours, but layover 24, the override would apply to the time you are out of the country & buying meals.

Last edited:
A per diem override should apply to the time away from base TAFB or some other applicable metric, not per flight hour.

Per diem is mostly non-taxable, plus if you fly 8 hours, but layover 24, the override should apply tot he time you are in the country buying meals.

I know how per diem works, but thanks for the refresher :rolleyes:. I've never heard of a "per diem override". I can't even find a carrier that uses one by looking at APC's profiles.

An international override has nothing to do with per diem. As I said, most carriers that fly internationally have an override to their hourly flight pay when they operate internationally. At Fedex it is $7/hour for FOs. Every trip I operate that flies even one leg outside the 48 contiguous, I get paid an extra $7 for each credit hour for the entire trip.

Every airline I've worked for has a domestic and international per diem rate. No override required. If you operate internationally, you get the international per diem rate for the whole trip TAFB.

Using an "override" for per diem on international trips would be a big mistake from the pilot's perspective. With that, now management has the option to cherry pick when they pay it from layover to layover when you have a mix of international and domestic layovers on the same trip.

Latest resources

Back