• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Int'l Ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
:rolleyes: $50/hour override seems a little steep.

:confused: Most airlines that fly international have an international per diem (it helps but usually won't get close to the IRS rates). The override (usually paid per flight hour) is generally used to account for the additional work involved with flying internationally. $4/hour seems about right for Mexico or the Caribbean.

I was referring to the one time Override we use to get at the regional whenever we where out of country...Not $50 per hour!

I'll let you big ALPA carriers figure this one out...
I Don't fly international, Don't ever care to again, But I do fly to LBB and stay in a Holiday Inn Express (Chime in "LA Genatalia" in 3...2...1...

Anytime the following Keywords pop up: LBB, Lubbock, ELP, or EL Paso, she gets an Insant message that she insist on responding to here on FI!)

KBB

I'll let you big ALPA carriers figure this one out...
I Don't fly international, Don't ever care to again, But I do fly to LBB and stay in a Holiday Inn Express (Chime in "LA Genatalia" in 3...2...1...
KBB

I was trying to keep it serious and civil...

You may let the "Big ALPA carriers" figure it out but from what I read on this forum you guys are pretty much going to own the world in about ten years. So, you (meaning SWA pilots in general) might want to start thinking about override and perdiem, etc.

I'm sure that you have no interest in flying a 787 ATL-LHW with a nice 24-48hr layover. But there might be one or two SWA guys who would like it. Or maybe you could just shove that int'l over water onto the AirTran side.

Is it possible to have any kind of conversation with you guys without bringing up ALPA? Come on... I think Dan Roman (whistle me a tune, Dan!) is right. It's SWAPA rules ALPA sucks with you guys.

I always liked those LBB layovers. We used to stay at the "Next to Denny's" with you guys. Of course, that was before the internets was invented so we were friendly and polite with each other.

I know how per diem works, but thanks for the refresher :rolleyes:. I've never heard of a "per diem override". I can't even find a carrier that uses one by looking at APC's profiles.

Every airline I've worked for has a domestic and international per diem rate. No override required. If you operate internationally, you get the international per diem rate for the whole trip TAFB.

Easy there, Chief, I didn't say you don't understand per diem. Just a little confused, because you were using the terms international per diem and hourly pay somewhat interchangeably. Apparently, that's how it's covered by your company, since it applies to the whole trip.

At AirTran, however, we only receive an hourly flight pay override [sic]for international segments, and also an increased per diem rate for the international portion of the TAFB.

So, in our case, they are both only overrides, because it only applies to international segments. Once you block in to a US airport, you're back on standard hourly rates and per diem.

I'm sure that you have no interest in flying a 787 ATL-LHW with a nice 24-48hr layover. But there might be one or two SWA guys who would like it.
I don't know anybody who would want a 24-48 hour LHW layover. Maybe if you told me I was going to LHR, I might be more apt to take that trip.

If you can't have fun in Lanzhou I don't know where you can!

SWA will fly the 787 internationally, initially to 50 cities, expanding to 300 by year's end. Captain rates will be $567/hr with F/Os to come from Mesa at their rates.

Just heard we are getting 35 -800's instead of 25 in 2012. Yes, I know HI is not international, even less so than ELP.

I was trying to keep it serious and civil...

You may let the "Big ALPA carriers" figure it out but from what I read on this forum you guys are pretty much going to own the world in about ten years. So, you (meaning SWA pilots in general) might want to start thinking about override and perdiem, etc.

I'm sure that you have no interest in flying a 787 ATL-LHW with a nice 24-48hr layover. But there might be one or two SWA guys who would like it. Or maybe you could just shove that int'l over water onto the AirTran side.

Is it possible to have any kind of conversation with you guys without bringing up ALPA? Come on... I think Dan Roman (whistle me a tune, Dan!) is right. It's SWAPA rules ALPA sucks with you guys.

I always liked those LBB layovers. We used to stay at the "Next to Denny's" with you guys. Of course, that was before the internets was invented so we were friendly and polite with each other.

It wasn't a personal attack, don't take it as such! Being previous ALPA...ALPA sucks! Period, I never experienced them from a "mainline" perspective, on the regional side, they didn't care about anything but our money! It doesn't work to represent both sides (mainline and Regional) but we can save that argument for a different thread!

I have no desire for a 24-48 hour overnight, my time is worth more than $2.00 per hour plus whatever override ALPA or SWAPA negotiates, when I'm away from home, I want to work, that's how we get paid, I do 3 days that pay 24 or 25 and 4 days that pay 32-34. I have friends that fly Intl elsewhere that there trips pay nowhere close to that...it is what it is! When I'm at work, I want to get paid!

I'll be happy for SWAPA pilots to fly tons of Intl on a gazillion 787's or whatever airplane SWA flies, it means more profit sharing for me! And if I get stuck flying those long legs, I hope they have better seats up front than the 73!

As far as being serious and civil, it's flight info, nobody cares about being serious and civil...and for what it's worth, I still try to speak to everyone in uniform (or with an ID).

Later,
KBB

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back