• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Int'l Ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've seen a great deal of talk about all the "Int'l" flying that Airtran does yet I don't think I've ever seen an AT aircraft anywhere but the Bahamas. Where does AT currently operate outside the US?

Last edited:
I've seen a great deal of talk about all the "Int'l" flying that Airtran does yet I don't think I've ever seen an AT aircraft anywhere but the Bahamas. Where does AT currently operate outside the US?

Www.Airtran.com, look for the route map. We operate several aircraft with class 2 navigation, HF radios and rafts. That was to go to Bermuda, but is helpful on some other routes as well.

Aruba, Jamaica, CUN, Bermuda, San Juan, and Bahamas off the top of my head. Can't remember the IDs for them cause I'm in the 717 and don't go there...

Www.Airtran.com, look for the route map. We operate several aircraft with class 2 navigation, HF radios and rafts. That was to go to Bermuda, but is helpful on some other routes as well.

I've flown an "Airtran" bird here at SW, 555SW, it's got all that stuff but I didn't use it for El Paso or Lubbock, it had other differences as well. We were getting a large mix of Aircraft in the 07-08 period that had alot of different stuff on them (Ford, air India A/C) they generally have oddball lav and seating configs...until the Virgin Blue A/c showed up, nothing had the HF radios or the rafts...the Airtran A/C were originally slated for the but after the acquisition, they were delivered here as ordered, wouldn't be surprised if some of that stuff is yanked out and sold, it's the SW way, money is money...and get use to hearing "fly it like a 200", anything that was extra Money is sold only to be needed and bought back later! Anyone remember my tire story!(brand new A/C show up with used tires, we lease recaps on a pay for departure or landing scenario!) Don't take it the wrong way, they have it wired to every penny saved. All in the end means more in my profit sharing! Herb (and those that followed) is a crude business man, great guy, loves to party but don't F with his (our) money!

Here come the (Sw) haters but it's why the place had been profitable since the early 70's.

Later,
KBB

The only one I think you obmitted was Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)
Punta Cana 23000, Dominican Republic

Just a reminder...Class 2 Nav doesn't equal ETOPS.

I was told we started with ETOPS in mind, but were able to do everything we needed to do with a 405 NM limitation. So far the only SATCOM/HF and raft birds I have flown have been over land. We can fly to all of our Carib destinations without that stuff except Bermuda. I think they were looking at more destinations prior to being bought.

To my knowledge some/all the SWA -800's will be ETOPS, with HI service in mind. They have a seperate program that their POI will approve.

I was told we started with ETOPS in mind, but were able to do everything we needed to do with a 405 NM limitation. So far the only SATCOM/HF and raft birds I have flown have been over land. We can fly to all of our Carib destinations without that stuff except Bermuda. I think they were looking at more destinations prior to being bought.

To my knowledge some/all the SWA -800's will be ETOPS, with HI service in mind. They have a seperate program that their POI will approve.

Yup, all the new -800 deliveries (starting in Feb 12) will come ETOPS from the factory. We also elected to add a new paint scheme option on them, in that instead of having "ETOPS" painted on the nose gear doors, it will say, "AK-killers. Blow me, Fubi."

Bubba

PS Legal Disclaimer: That last statement was intended solely as a joke/parody, and should not be taken seriously in any way. No actual offense to any airline, entity, or person, living or dead, should be inferred. All FAA regulations regarding proper aircraft markings will be followed as prescribed. Any anti-Fubi statements are solely for the innocent amusement of the author, and everyone else on this forum who shakes his or her head and sighs, "oh, that zany Fubi," everytime he makes a post.

The answer to the question is, as soon as the SWA res system will allow for int'l flights and as soon as the 800s come on line.

Latest resources

Back