• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I made a little bit more at SWA then I would have at AAI.

Hmmm...just the opposite for me...and didn't have to work as hard either.

Last edited:
Southwest seemingly has the lowest percentage of former military pilots of all the majors--under 50%. I was surprised to see that as well.

Bubba, I don't disagree with this statistic. However, if you look at the current hiring trend it won't stay that way. Ask what the % is in the Dec 11 class.

Ya right. Like - I'm so sure.

It's quotes like these that show us how FOS you are.

18 month upgrade and about 15 years in the left seat at the Tran...yeah, I'm pretty sure I made more here. Believe what you want skippy.

18 month upgrade and about 15 years in the left seat at the Tran...yeah, I'm pretty sure I made more here. Believe what you want skippy.

Was that before or after you got a new contract ONLY because SWA was PURCHASING you airline? With out the purchase I thought you guys were about to strike. Not much money on a picket line.

Just asking.

AirTran Airways CAPT $71.21 $101.70 $106.30 $112.27 $120.01 $123.50 $127.15 $131.87 $136.85 $144.00 $147.33 $152.57
What were the rates before these wonderful ones? Wow -9 you couldn't get on with a legacy airline 18 years ago? Wonder why that was? I got on at SWA when no one else was hiring. I guess working at an airline we bought worked well for you.

Plus there is this.

Quote:
01/27/2010 CEO Robert Fornaro addressed the issue during a conference call Wednesday to discuss the airline's fourth-quarter financial results. QUESTION: How do you view the industry landscape and your prospects for growth in an improving economy?

Quote:

RESPONSE: "It's not our plan to scour the market and look for new planes. ... Right now, it's financial success first for us."

Quote:
2010-04-22
Quote:

ATLANTA -- AirTran Airways isn't putting up a for-sale sign, but the CEO of the discount carrier said Wednesday it would consider a combination with another carrier if approached and if such a deal made sense for the company and shareholders. CEO Robert Fornaro made the comments during a conference call with investors to discuss the airline's first-quarter financial results. Higher fuel prices stung AirTran, causing the usually profitable airline to post a $12 million loss for the first three months of the year.

Quote:
2009-02-06
Quote:

Comments ATLANTA (Map, News) - Discount carrier AirTran Airways doesn't expect any overall growth for two years as it tries to weather the severe downturn in the U.S. economy, though it will add service in Milwaukee in a renewed effort to gain market share there, Chief Executive Robert Fornaro said Thursday. Fornaro told a gathering of analysts at the Raymond James & Associates Growth Airline Conference that AirTran will cut capacity in 2009 and likely will be flat in terms of capacity in 2010, but in 2011 it could (doesnt mean it would) grow at least 5 percent. In the meantime, it will make a push in Milwaukee.

Quote:

AirTran pilots to picket outside annual meeting

Originally published: May 17, 2010 4:37 PM
By The Associated Press HARRY R. WEBER (AP Airlines Writer)
ATLANTA - (AP) ? AirTran Airways' pilots plan to picket outside the discount carrier's annual meeting to step up pressure on management over the workers' more than five-year effort to secure a new contract with better wages and quality-of-life improvements.
They also expect to announce during Tuesday's shareholders' meeting in Milwaukee that rank-and-file pilots have authorized the union to call a strike if it chooses.
At stake is AirTran's low-cost advantage over larger rivals that has allowed it to lead the way on fare sales and usually still turn a profit. AirTran posted a small loss for the first quarter but said it expects future cost pressures from fuel and maintenance. Additional labor costs could further affect its bottom line.

There is more but you get the point.

Last edited:
Yawn..

You obviously care a lot more about this than I do.

Whatever, you win, you're the richest FO ever. Congratulations. We're all very proud of you.

If you really spent 16-1/2 years at AirTran, then you're senior enough on the master list that you can re-upgrade to Caaptain at Southwest in just over a year. A year or less (depending on when you transition) as a maxed-out FO is pretty close to what you can make as an AirTran Captain, and then you'll be making a buttload more as a Southwest Captain than you would, had you the opportunity to stay an AirTran Captain going forward.

If you had been at Southwest the whole 16-1/2 years, you'd have upgraded at the 4-1/2 to 5 year point, and would have made even more--exponentially more--money than you did at the Tran.

You can say that you believe anything you want, "Skippy," but I don't think you're going to find anyone feeling sorry for you and your poor lot in life.

Bubba

"If you really spent 16-1/2 years at AirTran, then you're senior enough on the master list that you can re-upgrade to Caaptain at Southwest in just over a year" (sic)................

I prefer Skipper to Skippy but for you I will allow the oversight..... You know this is a complete piece of crap for an argument. The seat grab of 2013-2014 is a massive effort to prevent any FAT pilot from upgrading into a Captain seat for YEARS. Your "flattish" growth will stagnate and the only upgrades MAY come from some retirements but not likely. Your negotiations have stalled and and they are getting their pay raises in the GO with their Monday deck parties. On time performance is dismal and the rah rah crew is spinning more propaganda than Pravda at the height of the Cold War. GK is the emperor and he is wearing new clothes and the rest of his minions are running around telling him how wonderful he looks. The "canyon blue/ barney purple" glasses are starting to clear for a portion of the pilot group and there is even talk of petitioning for release. Would that be the pot calling the kettle black?

Latest resources

Back