Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Type: Jan 04
Application: Jul 04
Call for interview: this morning for a 12 Jan date with destiny.

Merry Christmas! Here's to all who are waiting. I wish you the best.

K&S vs HPA Types

This hoo-hah about a type from one company getting you an interview call faster than another's is stretching things a bit (not to mention the fact that it presents a potential conflict of interest). I've know of at least 4 fellow aviators that have recieved interview phone calls within 2 weeks of type/app that have typed at K&S (all within the last year).

Last edited:
Dear HOPEFUL,

Don't you have some NUTS you want to play with or go fine?? Get a life!! Why would you be so hateful?? Must have that SWA desire that so many have,(put in a appication) don't call us for a reference!! Chase is a WONDERFUL addition to Flight Info. I know that so many folks are greatful too him and Thank Him for all his input and effort that he puts towards helping everyone in this crazy flying business out. Chase is always up beat, encouraging, and tries to help everyone out in the best to his abilties. For someone like YOU to try to attack Chase you have no right. I had the pleasure of meeting Chase when my husband went to training for SWA and he is as Wonderful in person as he is on Flight Info. My husband and I always looked forward to Chase's posting when we were in the SWA Pool all wet and waiting to dry as we do also a year later. Chase posting are Welcome and could not image Flight Info without Chase. Chase I am sorry for folks like" Hopeful." Keep doing what YOU are doing!! You have a BIG fan club. May You and your Family have a Wonderful Holiday Season!!

Thanks Chase,
Mrs. Hooch!!

P.S. Let's see what we can get started this time :)

I thought K&S were getting all the calls first.

I think Chase can take care of himself. I had lunch with him and the HPA crew back in March. Good times great people.

I am Hopeful that grumpy mean folks don't find their way to our great company.
I know many are greatful for the time Chase spends on this board helping others including myself. Chase, don't waste your time explaining youself to kids like this. Save those posts for the good stuff. :)

If my count serves me correctly... I owe Chase 11 beers already.

Happy Holidays Everybody!!!

See Yaaaaaaa
Oak

To all...

Just got off the road for the day & was a little surprised to see the response....my thanks to one and all who responded..."hopeful" & I have passed PMs back & forth & there were some misunderstandings and some shared frustrations...he brings up a real concern among not just SWA pilots but any airline that is represented by unions...the potential abuse of the trust members put in to their elected officials. I'm not an elected official but a mere worker bee but abuse can occur there also & occasionally does. It is one of the dark secrets I don't usually talk about but it is an issue.

I've maintained SWA & SWAPA isn't perfect since the beginning...that doesn't make it bad place to work, just not the 100% solution that some might think...come into any job with one's eyes open & don't just take my drivel as gospel or else you'll be disappointed once you fly with consecutive old cusses who aren't exactly Mr Congeniality.....

Regardless, no more piling on....."hopeful" & I have done the internet exchange of handshakes so lets get back to talking about what one can do to improve one's chances of getting hired.

The "type school" conspiracy has been laid to rest I hope as there are folks from every type school out there showing up for interviews. Some simple numbers (very rough estimates on my part again so no these don't come from the PD)....

An average month's number of interviewees - 140+
Number of folks who have have 737 types who have applied - 1500-2000 (my rough guess)
Number of folks who are entering that pool of type folks each month around from the various type schools or new applicants who already have their types -- a very rough guess of 100

How many folks are being eliminated from the pool of applicants each month - equal number of folks who are getting called in for the interview, 140+

Therefore, the pool of folks with types is being drained at a very slow rate (maybe 40ish) since it is being replenished at nearly the exact rate that folks are being called for interviews.

So your odds each month are at 1 & 10 or slightly less to get a call...yes for some that has stretched now for 9 months but the reality is the pool is large to draw from. That doesn't even include the occasional person who may not have a type & I can't say catagorically there aren't a few of those being called either.

So, do you feel like you're lucky enough to get called for a 1 out of 10 or less chance? Maybe you're use to being lucky when it comes to those odds. Again this is only an exercise in futility since I have no way of knowing for sure but one must look at the facts. Some are getting called very soon, others aren't but if you think it will help to do something other than what has been talked about before that will make you competitive then feel free to do so. I wish you well. For the others use this time to prepare yourself for other options...there are other ones to consider in all reality. Good luck to all,

I'm a 41 yr old 18yr FO with a major airline who was lucky enough to fly 3 yrs as captain. I have a 737 type and 1800hr PIC in the 737. I have over 8000hr in B737 counting sic time. I applied with SWA in Jan of 2004 not long after the online apps were started I've kept it updated monthly . I'm really trying to figure out why I haven't been called. (any help here Chase??) I've spoken to Chief Pilots and a few people that I know in the SIM dept as well as many pilots that ride our jumpseat and every one just keeps telling me the I should go right to the top of the list. Is it possible that I am over qualified???

Things look bad where I am and I've just come from the gripe board for the fract carriers. I love being an Airline Pilot and don't really want to work in the corp. world but I feel I'm at a dead end and may have no choice.

I have 19 years left to fly and feel I could be a great asset for SWA.

If any one has any help or Ideas please post or send me an email directly at [email protected]
Thanks

captjoey42 said:
I have 19 years left to fly and feel I could be a great asset for SWA.

If any one has any help or Ideas please post or send me an email directly at [email protected]
Thanks
Joey, we feel your pain. Sincerely feel your pain. Other than updating often or finding Herb in the parking lot (just kiddin), there doesn't seem to be any way to get on the inside track. For me, I can't complain, I had my chance and blew it. I hear that they don't hold it against you, so I keep updating...With my fingers crossed.

In the mean time, I'm slowly coming to the realization that life will continue, and my kids will still be glad that I'm home, no matter who I work for; if SWA calls then GREAT, if not, I'll find a way to be happy at what's in front of me.

Good Luck,
enigma

CaptJoey, I am in the same boat as you give or take a few years and slightly different path I'm sure. I have wanted to work for SWA before it became a fad. I interviewed their three years ago and didn't make it. I found out where I had went wrong most notibly very nervous and stepping on my own tonge. I spoke with L.L. in the PD last week and she gave me very incouraging news. She said that pilots like you and I should be getting a call by late winter. I am not banking on it but, staying optomistic all the same. I have been told their are thousands of apps but a fraction of those are with the type ratings. If you get the call for an interview let me know and I will do the same.

A couple of questions to those who have applied at SW.

1. The online application process opened two days prior to the advertised date. Has anyone who submitted their online application prior to the advertised opening date gotten calls for interviews yet? (I applied earlier than the date which is why I ask)

2. How are you documenting your type rating school, or are you not. I don't have K&S listed on my application but it could go in the education section under trade/technical school. Is anyone doing this or are you just checking the 737 type rating box and leaving it at that. In addition to everyone, those who have gotten calls to interview, what did you do?

Thanks in advance for the answers. Good luck to us all who are patiently waiting for the call and very very good luck to those waiting for the DB.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back