• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Interview plans for January

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As Chase and Cheesemo said, they can put in whatever parameters they want. This is the way that most online applications work; whether it be an employer searching from the "back-end" of Monster.com or the system at SWA. While I do not have specific knowledge of SWA's system, I imagine it is like most of the systems out there these days.

The key thing to point out is this: IF they search for people that have updated their applications or "applied" in the last 30 days, only those who have done this will come up.

So, in theory, they can put in 5000 TT, 737 Type, last 30 days. The person who updated most recently with those qualifications will be most "relevant" and it will rank down from there.

Just my perspective...

Kathy

Note to self. (the rest of you get this for free).

Learn to play the game.

Learn to play the game.

The prize will be awarded to those who play the smartest game.

Learn to play the game.

etc.

Don't get mad, don't get moody, don't get down, just learn to play the game.

If I've interpreted correctly, the rules are as follows.

1. Get 1000 hours Turbine PIC.
2. Get B737 type rating.
3. Get checkairman/instructor status at current airline.
4. Obtain narrow-body (or larger) Captain job at competing LCC.
5. Fly, so that you can......
6. Update often.

Be ready for the interview at a moments notice. (Another Note to self, call Albie and schedule prep asap.)

Have I missed anything? I would have included something smart a$$ed about getting some carrier landings, but there ain't much chance of that happenin.

One last thing. To those who get the call for interview, and to those who jump all of the hurdles and cross the finish line. (again, this applies to myself as well) Don't get the big head, stay humble and grateful. You were not only qualified, you were lucky and blessed.

Wondering if maybe I have a BO problem or something.

Cal

Last edited:
Could we all put our heads together and figure out just what attributes the A320 Captain put on his/her app?

I.E., what explains the short call?

Calvin,
having a hard time as a patient waiter.

Or just say "F'em"

Instead of waiting for SWA to make you happy, make yourself happy now!!!! Don't wait on their schedule. Don't be desperate!!!

Ask the interviewer what have they done that is great!!!

current ratio of pilots to airplanes is 10.6 to 1...the goal is to get that to 10 pilots per airplane but that will take time as current pilots will need to increase their flying from 64 hrs to 70 hrs per pilot.

Chase,

I hear from a good buddy at SWA that the current level of flying is above 70 hrs per pilot with the exception of "check F/O's" like yourself and other union folks who fly 1 pairing a month. Do you guys get your trips pulled so you can sit at the SWAPA HQ and write crap on flightinfo?

He says the "average" is much higher than reported because the curve is blown by union guys who get trips pulled.

It makes me no difference either way, just curious if he is on to something or not? How do you find time to fly a line, work for the union, have a family life, and post threads that must take hours on flightinfo? Got your trips pulled maybe? or are you at SWAPA HQ right now getting paid with union dues?

just curious

Dear Hopeful

Good question, one that others may have thought of also. As for my hourly totals for the year as my PMs to you indicated my hours for the year are at 813ish based upon staying healthy for the rest of year. That would average to slightly below the goal of 70 hrs per month.

I do post a lot, only trying to help others.

I don't get paid for it by anyone (my wife wishes otherwise).

I don't do it on union time, I am on an overnight right now & while technically on "company time" I don't think I'm cheating the company, others might disagree.

Empty nester...kids all gone...much more free time than most.

Do work with the union in two small jobs that involve some trip pulls...I don't mix billing of time spent there to what I do here (I'd bill myself but I'm a terrible employer when it comes to pay!). I have had trip pulls since Sept for work that was done on behalf of the union. I assume that is OK since the constitution allows persons who do work for the union to be compensated for their time spent doing union work. I believe I was doing union work.

I've tried to remove emotion and personalities from my posting of info to stay above the fray in order for those interested in SWA to simply see the info I post as one FO's opinion. As for my "check FO" status....a great term but unfortunately the pay hasn't caught up with the title yet so if you're friend wishes to contact payroll to help that process along I"d appreciate it...3 kids in college, I could use it!!!:)

As for your friend & your concerns (my reading of your tone, my apologies if I'm misreading it) about how I use my free time; I still find time to visit Montana to see friends, visit HI, kids in various locations, parents back east & talk about SWA to alot of folks. My others interests have taken a backseat for now but that is OK also. I'm no martyr or angel of mercy....but I have found in the past if others find fault or question my intentions the best thing to do is to be respectful & direct. I don't know if I've answered your questions or quelled the conspiracy theories your "friend at SWA" may have about me but oh well, unlucky if I haven't. I will let others be the judge of my intentions and refrain from getting into a contest of words. Hopefully my PM answered the questions also. I felt obligated to post this reply to others could see my thoughts. It is not in my character on this board to debate personalities but since mine has been brought up, I thought I'd might be an expert witness in this case. To those readers who look for my drivel, my apologies for wasting your time...this board shouldn't be about personalities, it should be about getting info to others who wish to pursue their careers and helping them do that. My $.02 worth.

Hopeful, if you're hoping to get on at Southwest, good luck...hope your friend can help & I hope some of the info on this board has been helpful. If that is not your desire, good luck to you in your aviation career. cheers

Keep up the goodwork Chase! Thanks..

God Bless you Chase. You are a good man! I met you in HPA when doing my type went out off your way to be there for us. Just updated my app with SWA, now I have some 121 expereince and would love to get on with your great outfit. Enjoy the holidays, you are an example to pilots everywhere of company loyality and goodwill to the the pilot group!!

Yo buddy...

HEY!

You want a take a shot at Chase, you gotta go through me first!

He's the best mentor on this site.

KEEP THE FAITH!

This is a new angle

hopeful said:
Chase,

I hear from a good buddy at SWA that the current level of flying is above 70 hrs per pilot with the exception of "check F/O's" like yourself and other union folks who fly 1 pairing a month. Do you guys get your trips pulled so you can sit at the SWAPA HQ and write crap on flightinfo?
Hopeful,

"To write crap" on flightinfo? What may be "crap" to you is definitely valuable and insightful information for hundreds of folks who are trying to work for Southwest. This is an interview board and I can not probably think of a more solid contributor to that goal than Chase. His character is well beyond reproach. There are many qualified pilots out there seeking advice and information and this board sometimes with the help of outstanding people like Chase can deliver just that. You have to understand that your "crap" could be someone else's GOLD.

A320Capt the way I see it you have two options. First go to the interview. Your decision may be made for you. I they say no, no big deal. You still have a good job and you don't have to make the agonizing decision of to accepting the job offer or stay where you are.

Or second don't go and let me have your slot. If I were you I'd pick one.

Latest resources

Back