Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Type rating school irrelevant

Hey Varmint,

I really think that folks are erroneously giving a lot of weight to the type rating school. I went to HPA in Jan 2002, applied in Aug 2002 and Jan 2004. Your school is not important, just that you have the type rating. HPA types more people than any other school therefore more folks get hired from HPA. Also, when you go to HPA you find out about this website if you didn't already know so more people that apply from HPA will post here.

I didn't list the school on my application and didn't even think of it until you brought it up. I am also wondering if it should be listed as well. Is HPA, Simuflite or Flight Safety a "Trade School"? Would love to find out.

When you have so many folks waiting for "the call" it is normal for people to get desperate. I believe that Southwest has a fair process obviously from their point of view, which may or may not fit your needs. If have been around Air Inc, Open houses and informal meetings so often that some the PD folks know me by first name. Our turn will come, it's just a matter of patience and being ready when the call finally comes. The PIC turbine time is different depending on the numbers of folks with similar background to you (i.e. military, charter, corporate, civilian...). I only have 2300 PIC turbine, 600 pic jet. BTW my flying mentor (a SWA pilot) said that the planning department is assuming 700 new hires next year. They used that number to advice him on his vacancy bid. The future is really bright!

I to just got the call for an interview in January, looks like the 27th, but will know more monday when I talk again with Kim. Anyone have scoops on what to watch for in the interview? We all need a little help these days. Thanks to any and all responses. X

Congrats on the interview,
I interviewed on the 16th, last interviews for the year. What an experience. Everyone has told me to just be yourself, and they were right. No headgames, should I drink the water should I take off my jacket. Look through your logbook and come up with some great stories. The interview team will put you at ease and the stories will just flow out of you. As to the LOI, it's something we do everyday, just make the decision and stick to it. It will be a day to remember for the rest of your life! You will want to become a part of the SWA family even more.

Orginal app: Oct. 2002.
Typed: May 2003
The call: Nov. 22nd at 1438 hrs :)

Swer,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was not aware of HPA giving out the site name which would explain alot about the majority of people on here getting interviews being HPA grads.

Anyone have any info pertaining to the early app issue?
1. The online application process opened two days prior to the advertised date. Has anyone who submitted their online application prior to the advertised opening date gotten calls for interviews yet? (I applied earlier than the date which is why I ask)

I applied on the Saturday before the online app system officially opened up. I had not previously applied. I got typed in March at HPA. I interviewed on November 18. I hear Decision Board meets OOA Jan 11. I'm trying not to bite my nails or pull out the rest of my hair. The interview process was exacly as previously stated: I did no formal interview prep, went in there and just talked about flying and life. The whole process only served to make me want to belong there even more. However, I think it's time to stop worrying about it and go fishing!

Good advice Phrogman!

You've done all you can do at this point. Just hope that you were adequately prepared for the interview (yes you were), hope you had the best gouge (you did), hope the interview team members liked you (they did), and pray they start checking your references (Oh wait, they are!).

At this point my friend, its up to those in that dark, smoke-filled subterainian room secretly located behind the large framed picture of Herb, down the stone staircase that is the Decision Board.

At least that's where I think it is...

And to everyone else... remember, they want to know YOU, not programmed answers. Think about it, would you rather fly with someone interesting or the sir-yes-sir type?

Good luck to everyone, and especially to my Phrog friend!

Phrog

What date did you get the type. I got mine at HPA in March too. I wish you the best.

I was in the HPA March 10 class. Thanks for reminding me. I gotta send out an email to the class. And for my good friend "The Captain," The Commander states that we shall toast a toddie aboard the Good Ship AWOL, a toast to the holidays and life in general, regardless of how this all works out!

The good captain accepts the toddie invite aboard AWOL! She is a good ship.

And to all of you guys and gals anxiously awaiting word from the DB...
From now till January all through the house,
The DB is quiet... just like a mouse.
The Sims are all simmering tight in their bays
Waiting for new guys to fly night and day
Happy Christmas to all! Come fly for SWA!

Guys... enjoy your holidays. The phones should start ringing in mid January. Take Phrog's advice--have a toddie and toast to Christmas.

I haven't heard for sure the number of weeks that are being projected for interviews for Jan but in the past when things were full up & running it was usually for 3 weeks, 4 days a week for a total of 12 days.

Some discussions about increasing the total of interviewees from 140 to something slightly more. Also in order to save money (again we always like to be doing this) at some point in the future the interview team will be made up of 1 PD person, 1 active pilot & one recently retired pilot. With our pay scales now increasing it makes sense to reduce the number of pilots who interview & instead use very highly qualified & carefully screened retired pilots who will be compensated but at a rate lower than a line CA/FO....it is also an OUTSTANDING way to utilize the wonderful talent of pilots who are retiring, something that is long overdue in my mind. I believe the company & the union is beginning to realize the outstanding talents these individuals offer to increase our productivity & carry on some of our culture.

Also good news for those in the pool......haven't seen it officially printed yet but the rate of classes appear to be moving up...probably 3 classes back to back each month & then 1 week off....this will continue for the forseeable future (I wouldn't bank on it beyond 1 Qtr at a time). The long pole in the tent is sims & currently we have one sim that is hard broke & will be down for awhile....hopefully it will be up fairly soon but it is causing some late night sims for new hires that haven't occurred in the past....lots of demands on the sims were removed for the 1st qtr (previously posted on here) so now these slots are going to be filled with a higher than normal rate of new hires.

Again don't sell the house, move to Dallas or throw away your current job (or bug the PD for that matter based upon this "rumor")....as always have your ducks in a row to be ready to go....other than the days of the 2 yr pool the estimated dates that the PD would use were usually conservative dates so promises wouldn't be broken so as always be prepared & keep your phone number current with the PD!!!!

Good luck to all....SWA employees will look back very favorably at '05 as the beginnng of the surge that takes SWA to the next level. How we do at that level will have a great deal to do with what type of folks come on board over the next year....think about this.....SWA currently has 4500 pilots....a year from now that total will be close to 5100+ (100 will retire)....a gain of 12-15% if all things go as planned....that is a lot of growth....thanks to those who are helping us grow & become better.

Latest resources

Back