• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA hiring and international growth. From Gary

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Carl P. Glad to see someone can recognize my rapist wit. Welcome to SWA. Once the SLI foodfight is over, things will settle down and we'll get down to the business of inter-galactic domination. A heads-up for you though . . My name is Chuck and I like skim milk and two splendas for my Venti bold. I like to be on a first-name basis with my baristas.

Thanks Carl P. Glad to see someone can recognize my rapist wit. Welcome to SWA. Once the SLI foodfight is over, things will settle down and we'll get down to the business of inter-galactic domination. A heads-up for you though . . My name is Chuck and I like skim milk and two splendas for my Venti bold. I like to be on a first-name basis with my baristas.

LOL, I'll make a mental note...

Hello My friend. I posted the whole Hawaii and South America thing. This is what I heard the other day. The whole east and west thing, is what
Swa and AT bring to each other. Why can't we pump each other up? Just pumping up a fellow brother. I am happy for the new UA and the possibilities it brings you and your family. Why can't you be happy for us?

I am happy for SWA and AirTran. I posted on the first page of the first thread on the morning it was announced. It wasn't until I saw all the "We're going to dominate the world" posts within the past few days that I started in with my "arrogant" questions. I sincerely am happy for the AirTran guys who will benefit from getting out from under the contract they have been working under for so long and join a team led by a management group that truly wants to run a successful airline. No doubt SWA is and will continue to be a major player in this country. Low fares and quality service will now arrive in Mexico, the Caribbean, and possibly Hawaii now. That is exciting news I'm sure.

Sincerely,

Congrats

I am happy for SWA and AirTran. I posted on the first page of the first thread on the morning it was announced. It wasn't until I saw all the "We're going to dominate the world" posts within the past few days that I started in with my "arrogant" questions. I sincerely am happy for the AirTran guys who will benefit from getting out from under the contract they have been working under for so long and join a team led by a management group that truly wants to run a successful airline. No doubt SWA is and will continue to be a major player in this country. Low fares and quality service will now arrive in Mexico, the Caribbean, and possibly Hawaii now. That is exciting news I'm sure.

Sincerely,

Congrats

No worries. I think here in the next 10 years will all will be one big carrier. Government is taken over.

Low fares and quality service will now arrive in Mexico, the Caribbean, and possibly Hawaii now. That is exciting news I'm sure.

Sincerely,

Congrats

Where is the Hawaii discussion? I hadn't read that.... has there been another proclamation by GK?
LUV

Without having the exact breakdown of your trips, how much block versus credit you're flying compared hours to TFP, it would appear you are working your butt off almost the most you can make. At the hourly conversion of $108 per hour, you're telling me you're going to credit 1,389 hours this year? Really? Or are you including per diem, vacation pay, JA override, etc?

If you're really interested in a breakdown of an HOURLY comparison for someone who, simply flies their 80 hour line and compare it apples-to-apples, then sure.

Assuming I come over with anywhere NEAR my seniority, and assuming it takes 10 more years to upgrade, my pay starting at 6th year SWA F/O for the next 10 years is:

129 * 1000 hours per year (just an easy averaging tool) = $129,000
134 = $134,000
136 = $136,000
137 = $137,000
141 = $141,000
143 = $143,000
144 = $144,000
144 = $144,000
144 = $144,000
144 = $144,000

Total income the next 10 years: $1,396,000

By DOCC we should have our new contract. The minimums on them are a 30% increase for F/O's, 16% for CA's, give or take a percentage point in the year-by-year flow (taken from our negotiating committee emails and subtracting 10% from those original proposals to come to a real-world "middle ground" figure).

I would then fly 2 more years as an F/O, then upgrade here at AirTran, being in the top 15% of the seniority list on the F/O side.

96 = 96,000
101 = 101,000
153 = 153,000
159 = 159,000
167 = 167,000
171 = 171,000
177 = 177,000
177 = 177,000
177 = 177,000
177 = 177,000

Total income remaining stand-alone at AirTran with our EXISTING, FIRM delivery schedule of aircraft allowing my upgrade in the next two years:

$1,549,000

Loss of $153,000 plus the investment loss of not having that money to invest over that 10 years = easy $200,000 when compounded.

These numbers may make no sense to you now, but when we get our final contract in the next few months and the numbers work out close, it will make much more sense to you.

p.s. It takes about 4 years as a Southwest Captain to make that money back. That's what we give up in this transaction. Present value of money, the ability to invest it now, and 8 years of being a Captain. Not the most important thing in the world, but if I could have my 'druthers, I'd ruther be in the left seat than the right.

YMMV
Hi Lear,

First of all welcome to Southwest! I am a 6 year FO and I have already earned $115,757.15 for the year on my October 5th pay stub. My October 20th check is going to be huge because I accumulated over 133 trips for September. The 5th check is only an advance of only 45 trips and our pay is one month after the fact. So my 20th check will have the other 88 trips for pay on it. I also still have 5 more pay periods and I would but me close to over a $148.000 by years end. As you can see, I will max out your max prediction of only $136,000 by more than $12,000 as a 6 year FO. These are the advantages of being on a trip system.

An average AirTran Captain earns around a $120,000 a year compared to an average Southwest Captain that will well over a $200,000 just flying their line.

Airline Pilot Central has tried to convert our trip pay system to an hour system. What it fails to correct for is the ability for us to earn more than a 100 trips a month. You can easily fly around a 120 trips a month here with out much effort and still have quality of life.

According to Airline Pilot Central's data, a Southwest 7th year FO earns the same as AirTran 7 year CA of $137 an hour. Our SW 7 year CA will earns around $203 an hour. That is a 48% increase your group would be enjoying here. Your inflated figures are including a 15% increase on a flight hour and that's if your assumed contract comes true.

Lear, please don't take this the wrong way. Believe me, I don't want to merge with you. I want my company to grow organically and not by taking over your airline. I would rather continue to compete directly with you and eventually to put you out of business.

So what does your Pilot Group bring to the table that is Fair and Equitable to the Southwest Pilot Group?

Pay?
Vacation?
Sick Leave?
Retirement?
Medical?
Line Improvement Trip Trade?
More days off?
Quality of Life?
Job Security?
Commuter Policy?

Any of these?

Last time I checked, your pilot group vote a 98% majority to strike and to risk not having a job. That means you choose not have any future career expectations as an AirTran Pilot.

Again, welcome to Southwest. Its a great company and you'll be happy that you are here. Really! ;)

Formula 1

Latest resources

Back