SWA guys!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wil

We routinely do intersection takeoffs at AMA. The remaining runway at charlie is around 10000 ft. As for LBB, the scenario you described (on the surface) does sound questionable but as in any situation all the facts aren't known. Our reputation by outsiders is one of being cowboys....just as there is a reputation for DAL, AA, UAL & others. The truth is usually different than the reality but your perceptions are valid. As mentioned earlier our safety record is one that is unmatched along with our efficiency. Does it mean unsafe events don't occur? Of course not but safety is the primary concern of all the Capts I've flown with as is most of the capts I assume you have flown with also.

Wil:

Yes, we ask for whatever 'safe and legal' runway permits us to get going to the next destination as soon as practical. I will bank my reputation on the fact that our crews do not depart in violation of the OPC.

Yes, it's our culture to ask for a runway that affords us shorter times aloft and a shorter taxi times regardless of the runway in use on the ATIS.

The worst ATC can say is no. Many facilities know SWA is just as willing to help out if they have a problem. I can't speak as to other airlines, but I surmise they are equally willing oblige.

Prudence, as it's applied to performance is largely shaped by the respondent's knowledge of the aircraft and the FARs. Some examples, granted, are so glaring that even a novice's opinion could be substantiated. But to cast your examples as inference of poor or unsafe decisions is unwarranted. If the example you sight violated a restriction of our OPC (On Board Performance Computer), that crew would be crucified when it came to light.

But, if you are as reasonable as your postings cast you, you should at least give the benefit of any doubt to the SWA crew.

Every one of us typed in the aircraft and with BUR well in our collective memory, we are not encouraged to do anything that is unsubstantiated by documented performance data.

As to the 'sun rising and setting with SWA' comment ... space restricts any attempt at convincing you of the merits of such a romance with our culture.

And yes ... I second your signature line ... FLY SAFE...

SWA- Seldom Wants Active.

Also gotta take the plane into consideration, there are takeoffs that would of scared the crap out of me in the RJ ( I flew it) that are a non-event in the 737. Took off out of SJC the other day and Vr was around 125kts. Now I haven't flown the RJ in over a year but I believe there were some Vr's around 165kts. (BTW isn't max tire speed 182kts, if it is thats pretty sad I remembered)

CanyonBlue,

Every airplane I have flown had a tire speed of 182... I think your loosing the edge.

Did you pick up that trip?

With the RJ takeoff speeds so high I guess it's the only time I paid attention to a tire speed. Man, I lost the edge along time ago, it's that rotten reserve. Traded the trip, thanks for sending business my way.

If SWA is your career goal, then you have to go for it. It will be a risk, but in the end, that much more rewarding!

Having a type and the pic time will make you very competitive. Having a great personality and being a great person to work with will get you the job.

I have many friends who are furloughed from the majors (most of whom are working again, me included) but a lot of them do not have the pic time needed. You have to remember that the hiring boom was so healthy for a while, many people did not have to stay at the regionals, corporate, 135 jobs long enough to log the 1000 pic turbine hours. So there are 8000+ furloughs out there with more to come, a lot can't and some will not even apply.

In the long run you have to just figure out what you want to go for it.

I am in the pool (as man-down, I had to register a secondtime to be able to post from the road with this cheep used laptop). I thought I would never get hired after being furloughed, but I went through the process anyway and now I count my self as one of the lucky.

By the way, I do believe they love the regional pilots and if you can add checkairman to your resume, they will be very interested to talk with you.

good luck!

Latest resources

Back