Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iced_up

Platinum member
Looking for a little advice. I am currently a captain flying a Beech 1900 and approaching 500 hours PIC turbine with 3800tt. I would love to work for SWA and was thinking about getting the type rating sometime after the summer months. I know there are a ton of qualified people out there who are trying to get on at SWA also.

Am I wasting my time and money for the type with so many pilots with more experience than myself? Or do I go ahead and hope for the best?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In my opinion...

...I would say if Southwest is where you really want to work then go for it. Yes SWA has quite a few apps on file, but the apps with types I've heard is significantly lower. Numbers I've heard are 2500ish apps, 600ish with types. I'm sure someone with better resources than I could confirm or deny this, these are the latest numbers I remember hearing/reading.

When the time comes that SWA starts accepting apps again I would guess they will still be requiring you to have your type to apply. Obviously no type, no application, no job.

It's a gamble granted, I had my type before I interviewed but I knew this is where I wanted to be so I didn't mind the gamble. I think it definately lets SWA know you want to be here, not you have to. Plus I'm very lucky to have a lot of support from family to help through the tough times.

My opinion, (disclaimer: I'm blond AND Polish)...do some research and budget planning as required and go for it. Good luck!!!:cool:

SWA likes guys that are charmin' mofo's, check airmen at former airlines that do not strive to be the same at SW, and folks that have time in 737 or simular type. This is civilian criteria.

My opinion?

I got the type rating when I had about 500 hrs PIC and barely had the minimums to even qualify on the sim. Now, I have about 1400 hrs PIC and continuing. I am really not concerned about how many qualified people are out there, the more the better. Only you can be responsible for your commitment to Southwest, your intensity and desire to work for the company. No other person no matter how qualified can take that away from you. That's what you bring to an interview. If you think you are wasting your time then you definitely are. On the other hand, if you have decided to do everything that is humanly possible to get hired, to show how much you want to work for the company, it'll show and it'll happen, believe me. I am not in the pool and don't even know if I'll get an interview but I will do anything in my power to get there. That's what I've done until now and will continue doing until I look at the dashboard and see a disabled autothrottle. Go for it.

Last edited:
One line pilot's perspective ...

1) Yes ... there are inordinate number of 'numerically' qualified people in the marketplace.

2) Yes ... we have a significant number of people in the pool waiting for classes.

3) Yes ... we have approximately 85 pilots (mostly FOs) who have returned to military service. Our union and company have crafted a near term solution to reduce the number of JA assignments.

4) Yes ... the rumors of 2003 being a 120 to 140 new-hire pilot year have been substantiated by what I hear from my domicle CPs.

5) Yes ... deliveries are on track and they will begin to arrive in 2004 in significant numbers.

6) Opinion ... we should return to hiring in excess of 450+ per year beginning in 2004.

7) Opinion ... we will open at least two new cities in 2004.

8) Opinion ... I'm betting on ABE, SWF, something closer to ATL and CLT being added over the next three years.

9) Opinion ... I think the Age 60 repeal initiative is underwritten with hope but does not stand any real chance of becoming reality. While I don't dispute the arbitrary and unsubtantiated underpinnings of the justifications of keeping it in place; it's not about fairness and it never was. The rule was born out of
financial motivations and will only be overridden by political gain.

10) Opinion ... SWA will be the dominate domestic carrier by 2007.

11) Opinion ... JetBlue and AirTran will be players ... long term ... who knows. They are sucessful for a variety of reasons, mostly due to the cost advantage they enjoy over the DAL and AA. What will be telling in their long-term viability is if and when they take on SWA. I'm not being arrogant. Anyone who believes SWA is immune from attacks is foolish. The biggest mistake a leader can make is to underestimate your enemy.

12) Opinion ... I can tell you without hesitation that commuter/regional/freight pilots ARE very highly thought of at SWA. Their flying skills are often talked about by captains who are amazed how 'in the fold' they are. Having had the luxury of flying commuter TPs, corporate jets and widebody airliners, I can assure you, that your skills are very applicable when you strap on a B-737.

Best of luck ...

PSL,

Thanks for taking the time and sending the above post!

I am sure I will do the type rating when I approach the 1000 hr PIC mark. SWA has a corporate culture that I believe in and want to be a part of. I know they are cautious in their overall business plan and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the expansion plans become reality.

I want to be happy and have fun like a see most of the SWA crews doing. Thanks again for the info!

Make sure you practice intersection take-offs with a tailwind. I seem to see a lot of those by SWA. Not sure that's a "corporate culture" I'm comfortable with. Fly safe- Wil

Wil:

Specifics ?

Airport, Runway, Wind and Surface Conditions and aicraft type (2,3,5,700 ?).

We carry and use an on board performance computer that we enter those variables and a few more to determine whether we can do it if we choose so. The normal max TW component is 10 kts.

SWA does not, nor does any crew that I'm a part of condone or perform unsafe takeoffs.

BUR notwithstanding, we have a superb safety record.

To suggest our corporate culture promotes anything other than safety first and foremost, represents ignorance on your part.

I know of no 121 airline that encourages stupidy.

The most glaring example was landing on a snow covered runway in gusty conditions (well over 10 knots) on 17 in KLBB. Just as we turned off we heard SWA ask for an intersection takeoff on 35. Like I posted, I have seen this on many occasions where it would appear that SWA does whatever it can to either get off the ground or to the gate the quickest. It is very possible that your runway analysis allowed the takeoff I mentioned but, in my humble opinion, it just did not seem prudent. KLBB and KAMA are the two airports where I have seen this the most, for whatever reason, and it has been a running joke with those that I fly with that upon hearing their destination when picking up the clearance we could guess the runway SWA would request regardless of the winds. Sorry, many on this board seem to think the sun rises and sets on SWA, I do not. Fly safe-

Latest resources

Back