Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA flight continues for 75 minutes after rapid depresurization!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as the pilot used the approved SWA procedure for this, I can't see any problem here.

It is quite possible that the pressurization system could hold a decent altitude and the pilot continued. It just depends. And reading the article you can't get enough information to make an informed decision.

This is nothing like the BA crew that flew their whale to London on 3 engines.

Hero is a word I wouldn't use here.

A350

An abnormal pressurization/emergency descent does not require the crew to "land at the nearest suitable airport". Once the situation is under control, evaluate the situation and land if necessary.

The CA is a 23+ year guy and the F/O is a Lance CA (or close).

The QRH says nothing about landing at the nearest suitable airport if the pressurization is controllable. Heros.. making moey for SWA. Great job!!

Remember the Alaska guys last year. Masks dropped in the climb. They continued to LA? and climbed to FL410!

Gup

Don't know about the SWA QRH, but the Boeing QRH makes no mention of landing at nearest suitable airport. In fact for the -200, it says "if pressure is restored, continue manual operation".

To me that says if the aircraft was maintaining an acceptable pressure at 14,000 feet, and there was suffiecient fuel to continue to the destination, that doing so was acceptable.

Heros, no. But from the article, and refering to the 737 QRH, it sounds like the crew made a sound decision.

NEDude said:
Heros, no. But from the article, and refering to the 737 QRH, it sounds like the crew made a sound decision.

and you can bet that dispatch and ops were on board with that decisioin.

Guys the hero comment is based on when someone calls a professional football player a hero... an example would be (from TV interviews) someone says "My kid is upset that T.O. has be suspended...thats my kid's hero". So I was throwing it around to be funny. I agree, they are not heros. But I am one, just ask BBB.

Latest resources

Back