Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA flight continues for 75 minutes after rapid depresurization!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They got plane to the destination with no injuries, just at a lower altitude!!! Isn't that there job!?!?! Why are people making such a big deal out of this????:smash:

linecheck said:
So you're putzing along at 10,000 to 14,000 feet and did everything that your QRH and dispatch told you to do. You think to yourself, "wow, I'm an awesome SWA pilot now; my chief pilot is gonna be proud of me."

Then twenty minutes from destination, you begin to smell something. Smells like smoke and not the mexican burito that you had for lunch. Something is definetly burning, but what? Smells electrical. Then you begin to see smoke.

You look up and see how much oxygen you have left. Its significantly depleted from your emergency descent, not to mention that you had a jumpseater on board who used a lot of your O2 as well. It doesn't look like there's enough O2 for 20 more minutes of flying. Suddenly you realize that the 130 passengers you have on board have no oxygen because all of their O2 generators have been depleted.

Still want to fly for another 20 minutes so you don't have to inconvenience passengers and make SWA look bad? Ever hear of the accident chain?

Linecheck........your obviously not aware as to how much oxygen is available (in time) for 3 pilots. If the bottle was at say 1700 PSI to begin with, you would have in excess of 3 hours for pilots as long as they were not at 100%. Of course your scenario would increase their oxygen use, but regardless it's highly unlikely that they would run our before getting on the ground. They would have much bigger problems with smoke and electrical issues than the availability of oxygen until they got on the ground.

linecheck said:
So you're putzing along at 10,000 to 14,000 feet and did everything that your QRH and dispatch told you to do. You think to yourself, "wow, I'm an awesome SWA pilot now; my chief pilot is gonna be proud of me."

Then twenty minutes from destination, you begin to smell something. Smells like smoke and not the mexican burito that you had for lunch. Something is definetly burning, but what? Smells electrical. Then you begin to see smoke.

You look up and see how much oxygen you have left. Its significantly depleted from your emergency descent, not to mention that you had a jumpseater on board who used a lot of your O2 as well. It doesn't look like there's enough O2 for 20 more minutes of flying. Suddenly you realize that the 130 passengers you have on board have no oxygen because all of their O2 generators have been depleted.

Still want to fly for another 20 minutes so you don't have to inconvenience passengers and make SWA look bad? Ever hear of the accident chain?

Dude, You are wrong on so many levels here that your license should be revoked.:nuts:

linecheck said:

And right after that you a have a duel engine flame out, with a cargo fire, flying thru a level six cell, in severe icing, with no anti-ice working, all while experiencing a complete elecrical failure!!!!:eek: Did I add the CA is now passed out for unknown reasons, and now you seem to have an elevator jam, oh boy!!!:beer:

SWA/FO said:
Heros! Plane and simple.

I think it's spelled 'Heroes'. Cute play on words with the "'plane' and simple", too, though I wonder if that was intentional.

I have to disagree with you referring them to as heroes. The people who ran back into the World Trade Center on 9/11 to rescue others and never made it out - those are heroes. The folks on UAL Flight 93 - heroes.

These guys:
http://www.homeofheroes.com/

Most definately heroes.

Two SWA pilots who descend to an altitude that allows the customers to breathe normally with O2 masks? All in a day's work for just about any pilot. I don't have a problem with them continuing on to Manchester, either - but to call them heroes is a bit much.

Spooky 1 said:

I'll take that as a compliment. I think.;)

Especially after reading the post you "Delte..ed". I thought I was going to have to revoke your license also.;) :)

Once they were down at 14,000 ft, there was no more emergency. If they had sufficient fuel, going to MHT seems like a good idea. Better than some of the many overcrowded airports on the east coast! Besides, the pax went thru a little nerve racking experience. Getting them to their original destination safely was a bonus.

I checked my QRH for my plane- just says to don the oxygen and descend to a safe altitude. No need to land at nearest suitable.

Latest resources

Back