• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Fleet update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SilentDave, uhhhh...why change my status? i merely see the glass as being half full with my new situation. i am still a mooch on society, only at a higher lever.

MadDuck out...

Question for a Southwest pilot - how many total pilots do you have? Just curious how many pilots for 378 aircraft. I'm guessing somewhere between 10-13 pilots per plane.

About 10.5 currently from sources I've seen. Anyone know how many more -200 retirements are scheduled this year? How many total are left?

goflyme said:
when did the 200's get flight management computers?

It's the two pilot types upfront.

Pig,

I don't have the most current info, but according to the drawdown schedule published about a year ago, the schedule was to have 27 by now, retire 6 during the second half of 2003, 13 during 2004, and the last 8 during 2005.

The news clip I quoted at the start of this thread referred to a -200 retirement in the last month or so, which is sooner than any -200 retirements were shown on the schedule of a year ago, so clearly changes have already been taking place. I'm sure that some smart people have had the adjusted drawdown schedule in place for a while, adapting plans & building schedules, but they seem to leave me off their emails, so I can't tell you exactly what the new plan is.

Perhaps somebody will get a glimpse of something in one of the pilot lounges & post it here???

Rough numbers, though, about 20ish of the -200's still around.
Didn't break my heart to get a -300 instead of a -200 for a day of flying around bad Texas weather a few days ago, I've gotta say!

Snoopy

So, is there any value to a retired -200? Does anyone know what SWA in particular does with them?

I'm sure some of you guys that did AF UPT in west Texas have been to ROW (home of the UFO museum). My best guess is they have some 200 planes in moth balls there. One of many places I'm sure around the Southwest. I've only seen about 8 737s there. I think about five or six -200s and maybe two or three -300s. LOTS of DC-8s, 727s, L-1011s and DC-10s. Last I counted there was 11 American widebody Airbuses. Lots of ATR-42's Etc. Most of the older ones have been de-engined.

I know SOME body is paying to keep these things in storage.

The ATC guys said they have never seen anything leave, as I'm sure the used market ain't what she used to be.

Any one got a guess as to what SWA does when they retire them. Is number one going to enshrined at LUV?

I think we ought to put a -200 on a stick up at the GO.

And now for another rumor: Apparently one of our top knots commissioned a study to turn the -200's into freighters for our use. Now that's a scary thought!

HC

intel33 said:
So, is there any value to a retired -200? Does anyone know what SWA in particular does with them?

Was told in annual EPT that one that was retired is being used by ground ops in DAL as a trainer. Any DAL or HOU guys know about that one.

NEW -200 rumor!

Well, gang, I don't make this stuff up, I'm just reporting what I hear, and I'm way, WAY too low on the totem pole to tell you who's right, but I heard a slightly different version of the earlier rumor today... SWA is apparently considering NOT grounding all the -200's when DRVSM kicks in, but letting them fly below 28! So maybe they're around longer than Christmas next year... we shall see.

Also, it's looking like I'd be out the dollar re the -200 base bet... present rumor says it'll be Dallas for sure.

Haven't heard about the freighter study rumor, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. SWA looks at all kinds of things as interesting possibilities.

I think the news about using one of the -200's as a ground ops trainer was in the company in-house news several weeks ago. Sounds familiar, anyway. Jet-on-a-stick Airport Bar sounds like a cool idea too, I'd buy a round there!

Flightinfo reports, you decide!

Cheers!

Snoopy

Latest resources

Back