SWA Feb Decision Board...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bobby Orr 4 said:
I interviewed in mid september. my buddy who is a HOU fo talked to his chief about recent interviews. an unusual low amount of pilots were hired from the september group. is it typical?? no one really knows for sure. i hate to be so vague and wish i could give you more info but that's all i've got. best of luck to you.
I can't say if it is typical or not, but I will say this. SWA's PD would be well advised to avoid the arrogance that comes with being the top dog in an overcrowded pilot market. Unfortunately, it may be too late. They (SWA) grew to greatness on the backs of pilots who were hired during times that allowed most of the "top guns" of the world to go to what we now call legacy carriers. I know of very few pilots who put SWA on top of their list during the 80's and 90's. Most of the "best" wanted to be able to fly whales international (insert any of a number of cool/high paying types of flying) at some point in their career and considered SWA nothing more than a commuter that flew narrowbodies.

But now that those who wouldn't give SWA the time of day ten years ago are knocking their door down, SWA appears to have changed their hiring criteria based upon type of applicants. A position that would appear to contradict the theory of hiring to fit your companies personality.

I personally find it hard to believe that SWA's selection percentage could come DOWN in a market full of pilots who were previously in the employee of : American, Delta, USAir, ATA, TWA, etc.

Whatever, I'm working toward SWA just like most everyone else. Good Luck to us all.

:)

I know of very few pilots who put SWA on top of their list during the 80's and 90's

I guess you only new a few smart pilots then.

:-) said:
I can't say if it is typical or not, but I will say this. SWA's PD would be well advised to avoid the arrogance that comes with being the top dog in an overcrowded pilot market. Unfortunately, it may be too late. They (SWA) grew to greatness on the backs of pilots who were hired during times that allowed most of the "top guns" of the world to go to what we now call legacy carriers. I know of very few pilots who put SWA on top of their list during the 80's and 90's. Most of the "best" wanted to be able to fly whales international (insert any of a number of cool/high paying types of flying) at some point in their career and considered SWA nothing more than a commuter that flew narrowbodies.

But now that those who wouldn't give SWA the time of day ten years ago are knocking their door down, SWA appears to have changed their hiring criteria based upon type of applicants. A position that would appear to contradict the theory of hiring to fit your companies personality.

I personally find it hard to believe that SWA's selection percentage could come DOWN in a market full of pilots who were previously in the employee of : American, Delta, USAir, ATA, TWA, etc.

Whatever, I'm working toward SWA just like most everyone else. Good Luck to us all.

:)

consider this then... perhaps SWA during the 80's and 90's ended up hiring pilots who really wanted the lifestyle/attitude/flying that SWA offered which was so different from the other carriers. because they hired pilots who were a true match for the unique culture they had tremendous success in building an airline that later didn't suffer from some the downfalls that came to legacy carriers. now SWA hiring rates have gone down because many folks from "American, Delta, USAir, ATA, TWA, etc." are coming to SWA because they are the big game in town, the best paying, the most stable etc. but NOT for the lifestyle/attitude/flying that SWA continues to offer that is so different from other carriers... and that rightfully scares SWA and makes them extra cautious because they know that all of us can fly the plane, but not all of us can be a true team player, a smiling face for every passeneger, and a true believer that we are part of something very, very different.

that rightfully scares SWA and makes them extra cautious because they know that all of us can fly the plane, but not all of us can be a true team player, a smiling face for every passeneger, and a true believer that we are part of something very, very different.

AMEN! You nailed it my Fellow Union Brother!

The opposite is true

:-) said:
They (SWA) grew to greatness on the backs of pilots who were hired during times that allowed most of the "top guns" of the world to go to what we now call legacy carriers.

Hey Calvin,

You make is sound like Southwest built itself while hiring a bunch of unqualified clowns but the opposite is true. Southwest has always had one of the higher hiring minimums and a more selective hiring process than most of the Legacy carriers. Can you tell me which Legacy has had higher minimums than SWA and what they were? What I had heard in the 90s was complaint by many pilots about how high the Southwest hiring minimums were. There have been many furloughed Legacy pilots that did not meet the SWA mins when they were out of a job after 9-11.

Swerpipe said:
Hey Calvin,

You make is sound like Southwest built itself while hiring a bunch of unqualified clowns but the opposite is true. Southwest has always had one of the higher hiring minimums and a more selective hiring process than most of the Legacy carriers. Can you tell me which Legacy has had higher minimums than SWA and what they were? What I had heard in the 90s was complaint by many pilots about how high the Southwest hiring minimums were. There have been many furloughed Legacy pilots that did not meet the SWA mins when they were out of a job after 9-11.

All I can offer you is my own experience. Prior to 9/11, most of the pilots I knew/talked to/overheard/heard about who were getting out of the Air Force and heading to the airlines, looked upon SWA as a second-rate option. I distinctly remember, in Aug 01, an instructor of mine who was planning on leaving the Air Force soon, lament over the fact that America, Delta, and United had not yet called him for an interview. I asked him what he was going to do. He mentioned that, oh by the way, he had been hired by SWA but that he would probably end up staying in the Air Force a while longer instead of going there. I honestly cannot remember anyone during that time period being excited about the prospect of going to SWA.

I have heard that too

Pseudopod,

I agree with you. Southwest didn't used to be as attractive before. However, that didn't mean they were not selective. They were selective by their mins(1000 pic turbine), type rating and process. Before, they did not have as many jobs to offer (i.e 400/yr). Rejection letters back then didn't cause an uproar. Now, they feel that preserving their culture is of paramount importance, even more so than before, given their size.

I distinctly remember, in Aug 01, an instructor of mine who was planning on leaving the Air Force soon, lament over the fact that America, Delta, and United had not yet called him for an interview

A common Military belief, "what the @^ck! I just applied last week - how come they have not called yet?". I think, there might be some unit pressure, from the squadron buddies to follow the leader. I have heard many stories about ex-mil guys, now captains at SWA on how their budddies laughed at them for coming to Southwest. These same people are now full-time guard flyers. :eek:

Rejection letters back then didn't cause an uproar. Now, they feel that preserving their culture is of paramount importance, even more so than before, given their size.

TRUE, the interview team and I, will make sure we preserve the culture!

Last edited:
I am happy to work at SWA, build my night/instrument time and wait to get on with a major...Then life will be really good. I will fly 10 hrs a month and make huge bucks. Can I get an AMEN SWA/FO?

Latest resources

Back