• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB- DING You suck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never claimed mine was prefect. Enough about me, I was just surprised the success rate was so low for the June interviewers as a group, thats all.
ok?

goodnight sweetheart

20 folks out of 100 very qualified people, who spend a lot of time and money just to go play inteview with southwest.

Wouldn't you be POed too if they are all smiles and giggles with you, then take a big giant crap down your throat after making you wait 4 weeks?

Southwest knows everyone wants to work for them, so they hire whoever meets their quotas, right?

We need one hispanic guy, an asian, and two pastey white guys. Uncle Sam will like us even more!

haha, southwest makes me mad too

SWA doesn't call in people for interview just to stroke them. I have also heard that they don't bother calling references on people that they are not planning on hiring. The reference checks go very deep. They call other references that you don't list that they gleen from the references you list. A lot of the reference checkers are Captains on trip pull earning top dollar to make calls. They aren't going to waste time on something they aren't serious about. My guess is something went sour on the reference check.

Gator-

Your response to Turbo speaks volumes. He was only trying to help.

FWIW, 16 of the 24 in my class were civilian. One guy got in after his third interview. Oh yeah, he was military. This Mil VS Civ thing is really a bunch of crap.

Also, just had an overnight with a guy on the interview committee. According to him, our hire percentages really haven’t changed at all in the last decade. And yes, he really would like to hire everyone called; it would make their lives a lot easier.

Wish you luck the next time.

BD32

My post was referring to the June applicants. Their class hasnt started yet. Past is the past. I will give turbo a hug later. Remember Jesus loves you!

Last edited:
Gatorade,

I don't know you but I truly am sorry the interview didn't work out.

My opinion--

I think there is a desire to hire a certain percentage military. Maybe there are extra points for being military, but I can't be sure of that.

I do know there are a BUNCH of sharp military folks that have been turned down in 2002 and 2004. I know many of them. The competition has been very fierce. I wish I knew how to better manage this process.

But SWA is not a military only place. They have and want tons of civilian folks. I truly believe the rule now is they call you in if you are competitive for interview. It used to be you were guaranteed an interview if you met the mins. But that is not fair, as you pointed out, to those not competitive. But there is a caveat. They say they want to hire all of you, but I think they really only want to hire a percentage. I think the people department WANTS to hire substantially >50%, but the percentage varies in practice. Sometimes over and sometimes under 50%. Maybe its the CP's in the DB that are putting the thumbs down on so many. That would be out of the people department's hands.

I believe the fine folks in the people department want every interviewee to be the best they can be and make it. They want to let you know that only you are in control of how YOU interview and not to worry about the other people and factors that you can't control. I think that explains what they say to interviewees. But people aren't perfect. The people department staff are probably not aware they are making a "promise" they can't possibly keep. SWA is a positive place but they still want to pick and choose who to hire. I found that tough to deal with while I was waiting for the call, but a necessary reality.

In my newhire class we had at least 2 people on the second or later interview. One guy made it on his 4th interview. If that is salt in the wound I'm sorry. I'm just trying to offer some facts.

Interviewing is tough. Don't give up on the process. Keep finding ways to improve your interviewing skills.

BTW, This is a good place to vent and no one can reasonably judge you or your performance in an interview by your posts. I wish they would stop critiquing you. I think you got enough of that at the DB.

Last edited:
Talk about being hustled for your job search dollar with no reward--

I think FedEx is far more efficient. FedEx charges $50 and doesn't even spend a dime on a phone call, let alone an interview. You don't need a type or anything to apply to FedEx so many more pilots get sucked into paying the $50 to FedEx and the $200 for FE writtens. I say FedEx is the more successful hustler.

Its all about volume....

Last edited:
Buck up and don't be a wus. the sting of rejection only smarts for a little while- i remember it well. :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back