• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA DB- DING You suck!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not a big fan of Southwest -- in fact it's not likely you'll ever catch me on one of their airplanes -- but, I think that the stuff you see on "Airline" probably occurs on just about EVERY airline.

As airfares have fallen and with the onset of internet booking engines, it has become cheaper to fly than drive for a whole new segment of the population. Flying has become more like a Jerry Springer audition than a dignified means of transportation.

Regardless of whether you fly SWA, JetBlew, AirTran, United, Northwest, Delta etc... you're going to find the same morons that you see on "Airline" who should probably be removed from the gene pool for the greater good.

Quote by Bender Gonzales "As airfares have fallen and with the onset of internet booking engines, it has become cheaper to fly than drive for a whole new segment of the population."

I'm not sure where you've been, but WN has been providing travel at rates this low for the last 34 years....

Quote by Bender Gonzales "As airfares have fallen and with the onset of internet booking engines, it has become cheaper to fly than drive for a whole new segment of the population."

I'm not sure where you've been, but WN has been providing travel at rates this low for the last 34 years....

While SWA has been, other have not. I think that was what he was refering to - the growth of the low fare carriers and the Pricelines and Travelocities of the world have made finding the "super saver" fares for all airlines easier for the general public than it has been in the past.

And yes, you will find those people on all airlines. I have run into plenty of low class passengers in the CAL system (mainline, express and connection).

Whine Lover said:
Gatorade,

Here's the deal:

- There are 10,000 qualified guys on the street.

- SWA interviews as many as possible.

- They choose who they want.

If that's 1% or 90% that's THEIR BUSINESS.

Typically, I believe, it's less than 10%.

Get over it.

Try again.

Lose the attitude.

WL

Whine Lover - how very original...have you read the previous posts? I believe your "facts" are overstating the obvious. You're assuming that Gatorade has some sort of attitude, and also assuming that somehow came out in the interview - neither of which is necessarily accurate. I've seen so many networking "tools" get hired at SWA that it makes me sick...they can have 'em!

As airfares have fallen and with the onset of internet booking engines, it has become cheaper to fly than drive for a whole new segment of the population. Flying has become more like a Jerry Springer audition than a dignified means of transportation.
I couldn't let this one pass.....Are you suggesting that the lower middle class people stay home and leave the airlines for more "dignified" passengers? Money doesn't give you dignity dude.

SWA/FO said:
SWA will pick the right people regardless of their background.

I think that's a little naive. Once HR gets involved, all bets are off. I would have more respect for anyone's hiring process if a random selection of line pilots took interviewees out for beers and wings and had them ride around on the jumpseat for a couple of legs, shooting the $h!t during cruise.

Oh well, in a perfect world, I guess...TC

BenderGonzales said:
"it has become cheaper to fly than drive for a whole new segment of the population."

Isn't that the goal of Southwest, hence the freedom part of the ad mantra? Call thier passengers what you'd like, they love Southwest. Legacy airlines for years would price gouge thier passengers making flying unaffordable for most of the population. I have no travel benefits since I'm furloughed. All 3 times this year I've traveled to interviews, I've used Southwest. You just can't beat thier fares, and I love thier service. I've been in the airline industry for 15 years, and have used just about every major airline in the US and a few overseas. When it comes to my money, I'm using Southwest.

AA717driver said:
I think that's a little naive. Once HR gets involved, all bets are off. I would have more respect for anyone's hiring process if a random selection of line pilots took interviewees out for beers and wings and had them ride around on the jumpseat for a couple of legs, shooting the $h!t during cruise.

Oh well, in a perfect world, I guess...TC

It's not just a personality check. They want people who will go out of their way to help the customer. Not just be a bump in the cockpit before push when all your checks are done. Look at any of the captains we have and you will see them helping people all the time while the FO is usually getting the deck ready.

The PD has done a great job and I commend them for it. Every FO I have flown with has the SW stuff and that's why SWA has kicked the sh!t out of every other company for the last 30+ years.

Falconjet said:
Got to keep and eye on what is going on with the competition.

FJ

Ha ha.....no doubt. I got my eye on you too ;)

Hobie,
Thanks. Yes, I feel extremely fortunate. Now I just have to work on getting all my buds hired.

Latest resources

Back