• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA crew names released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dan, I find it odd that a Hawaiian A330 capt has such a hard on for how SWA operates- you're in left field with that my man.
And of all pilots, how much can you say you truly observe SWA operate? Compared to all the others out there. Nobody's picking up the torch you're passing- why not?

MJ, hey brother I just caught your post about understanding life as an FO here. I appreciate that man, but in all honesty- you guys who were FOs here 10-12 years ago had it much harder and apparently did the heavy lifting with changing the culture- bc it just hasn't been that bad in the right seat here. But I've heard stories that sounded tough to put up with.

I do think you should let go of that tiller help idea though. It does appear to be flat out wrong. As far as asymmetric thrust- you know what we're supposed to do on every leg- cl or ng- spool up to 40% stabilized and go from there- most of the spilt is recognizable and stable by then, but not going crazy at 40%- Then its pretty smooth and even from 40% on up to t/o thrust, even if youre pushing up a split hand-
I've had huge splits, at low speeds and never once been uncontrollable with nothing but feet on pedals-
I agree with blue above- I would not want tiller inputs from a capt without some kind of clear communication that you have the plane. Both of us putting in nose wheel inputs isn't safe.

I think there are probably a lot of folks that would agree with Dan's assessment but prefer to stay out of the mix. We all get that Southwest is not Delta, United, etc. There is a lot to be said for standardization, especially on multi leg days. After riding on SWA jumpseats a lot over the last year I can say that I have not seen things done the same way twice. Its an observation, not an attack.

Dan, I find it odd that a Hawaiian A330 capt has such a hard on for how SWA operates- you're in left field with that my man.
And of all pilots, how much can you say you truly observe SWA operate? Compared to all the others out there. Nobody's picking up the torch you're passing- why .

I'm not sure how what I fly is relevant??? This is a forum for pilots of all airlines, which is why I get on here. I find it interesting and sometimes informative to hear what others are thinking at other airlines. It's a bit narcissistic to think someone's opinion isn't valid if they work for an airline other than your own. Just like you can learn something from anyone you fly with and the more varied their backgrounds the more opportunity there is to learn or hear something interesting, the same goes for hearing the perspective of pilots from other airlines.

I think there are probably a lot of folks that would agree with Dan's assessment but prefer to stay out of the mix. We all get that Southwest is not Delta, United, etc. There is a lot to be said for standardization, especially on multi leg days. After riding on SWA jumpseats a lot over the last year I can say that I have not seen things done the same way twice. Its an observation, not an attack.

And the part about not being an attack is a good one. I'm not "bashing" SWA here either. It's just an observation. Like I said earlier, we had issues with non standardized flying back in the 90's. Hawaiian used to be a mix of 3 different DC-9 models and DHC-7's flying inter island and L1011's and DC-8's flying all over the world. We weren't very standardized at all. We have changed for the better and I can assure you it's a good thing.

I'm not sure how what I fly is relevant??? This is a forum for pilots of all airlines, which is why I get on here. I find it interesting and sometimes informative to hear what others are thinking at other airlines. It's a bit narcissistic to think someone's opinion isn't valid if they work for an airline other than your own. Just like you can learn something from anyone you fly with and the more varied their backgrounds the more opportunity there is to learn or hear something interesting, the same goes for hearing the perspective of pilots from other airlines.

No, it's geography Dan.
I'm saying your exposure to us isn't exactly a relevant sample

Well, I've been working here 7 years and see captains doing the same thing day in day out-
Your standardization issues are at least a decade old fellas

No, it's geography Dan.
I'm saying your exposure to us isn't exactly a relevant sample

You do know we fly into three of your hubs, OAK,PHX,LAS? We also cross paths in SAN,LAX,SMF, PDX etc.
Again, not bashing you guys, really. But the simple fact is SWA taxis, on average, much faster than any other airline out there. It can lead to problems.

You do know we fly into three of your hubs, OAK,PHX,LAS? We also cross paths in SAN,LAX,SMF, PDX etc.
Again, not bashing you guys, really. But the simple fact is SWA taxis, on average, much faster than any other airline out there. It can lead to problems.

Dan,

Just a question. What is your definition of fast? Because our POI and our book doesn't think so.

Could you elaborate what you saw different on each leg. Is it call outs or just plain flying technique.

Substantially faster than everyone else.

Fair enough. Riddle me this??? You fly a heavy that only does one leg to and from, but don't really get to see all our ops (700+ airplanes) operate daily. So percentage wise you are only using a few examples. I have seen regionals that taxi way faster than they should. Us not so much. I think our speeds are safe and are followed to the book.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back