SWA contract amendable- no pay raise?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Saabslime said:
You SWA koolaid kooks can't see the forest through the trees. "Yeah we have to pay for parking and uniforms, etc. but look at our hourly rates!" Forget the fact that the company works you like borrowed mules to gain the productivity needed to afford those rates. You're W2's may look good but let's face it, you fly regional type schedules........some QOL. I'll put our scheduling and hours of service sections up against yours anyday.

Another thread turned whacky!

I'm an F/O. I work 3 on 4 off, all weekday flying, and usually 18 days off a month. I average about 70 hours per month flying. I drive to work, and am gone 2 nights a week max. My trips usually head to the west coast. Probably average 3 legs a day. I make an easy 6 figures. I also pay 40 bucks a month to park. The fact that I do pay for parking never crosses my mind as I briskly walk from the jetway to the parking lot bus. I just want to get home before my kids. Life is good right now. I wouldn't change a thing.

TexaSWA said:
SWA doesnt make anyone pay for parking. The companies that own the lots do.

For your next contract maybe you can offer to pay for the planes fuel if they give you a few extra dollars per hour ( I mean trip). Its not like SWA is making you pay for the gas, but the company you buy your fuel from.

skiandsurf said:
For your next contract maybe you can offer to pay for the planes fuel if they give you a few extra dollars per hour ( I mean trip). Its not like SWA is making you pay for the gas, but the company you buy your fuel from.

Hey, you're funny. Remind us where you work so we can keep on laughing.

Maybe you guys can negotiate to have the company pay for employee parking. I was just on the employee bus and there's a big notice for SWA employees to fill out the form to have parking fees deducted from your paycheck...........:rolleyes: What a joke

Yeah, I fly a SAAB and my Daddy use to work for Pan Am. Go back to the regional board, you are not a player here.

skiandsurf said:

I think I felt my brain shrink a little just then.

Where is Lowecur? I need a little wisdom thrown down from the mountain.

Saabslime said:
You SWA koolaid kooks can't see the forest through the trees. "Yeah we have to pay for parking and uniforms, etc. but look at our hourly rates!" Forget the fact that the company works you like borrowed mules to gain the productivity needed to afford those rates. You're W2's may look good but let's face it, you fly regional type schedules........some QOL. I'll put our scheduling and hours of service sections up against yours anyday.

I worked at the regionals for seven years. I never had a schedule this good.

You (like the other troll) haven't a clue.

Looks as if SWA is on their own to negotiate this contract.

You homos have done nothing to help us out in the last 6 years. We don't have the luxury of saying UAL +1% or DAL + 1% or FedEx -45% (some of you think). Cus, you guys have done nothing for our industry.

So what do you do besides roll over for pension cuts, paycuts and benefit cuts. I know!, You attack SWA guys, cus you can't stand the fact that we are doing better. You want us to fail, you can't wait until the hedges run out. You might be waiting a long time.

Saabslime said:

I average 3-4 legs per day, often less. I average 18 days off a month, all 3 on 4 off. I average 14+ hours on the overnights, often closer to 17+. The only major difference, I don't have 45+ minute turns, they are all 25 minutes... that is fine by me, it gets more flying (and pay) into a day AND in less total time (ie. I spend more time at the hotel.)

I would argue that the average SWA pilot has a better QOL both at work and away from work than any other domestic scheduled pilot. Folks sometimes wives tales are wives tales... checkout anyone else, UAL, NWA, CAL, AA, *anyone* and tell me our domestic work load is more... no way.

Last edited:
canyonblue737 said:
I average 3-4 legs per day, often less. I average 18 days off a month, all 3 on 4 off. I average 14+ hours on the overnights, often closer to 17+. The only major difference, I don't have 45+ minute turns, they are all 25 minutes... that is fine by me, it gets more flying (and pay) into a day AND in less total time (ie. I spend more time at the hotel.)

I would argue that the average SWA pilot has a better QOL both at work and away from work than any other domestic scheduled pilot. Folks sometimes wives tales are wives tales... checkout anyone else, UAL, NWA, CAL, AA, *anyone* and tell me our domestic work load is more... no way.

Before 9/11, SWA was considered "a stepping stone". It was that much closer to DAL, UAL, AA. I am sure that before 9/11, there were more SWA pilots going to the "majors" than the other way around. Now in a post 9/11 world, it is a "I told you so mentaltiy".

I am not intending to beat any one group down, but instead hope for the best for all of us.

I used to fly on UAL all the time and thought they "were the cats meow". Lately I have flown on both UAL and SWA. UALs service is terrible now, but now that I fly on SWA, I can see why. UAL is trying to keep their costs down like everyone else. (UAL does give me the whole can of soda, SWA gives me 3 sips with a cup full of ice). I hate to say it, but it is because of these low-fare airlines that we all have to suffer now. Now, I hate traveling on UAL but I get sick to my stomach of the thought of traveling on SWA....(I dont have a choice, my company buys the ticket).

Dangerkitty said:
Empty headed? Let me remind you that you are the moron who thought that when pilots here were talking about Cat II and Cat III approaches, you asked why we were talking about landing in hurricaines. You mean your weren't?

You are a genius! I know. You make Herb look like an amateur when it comes to running an airline. I know.

Please go back to your cubicle and hunt for your red stapler.
No...!

:pimp:

Latest resources

Back