SWA Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi, T1bubba --

I was afraid this would happen -- I'm not trying to get SWA into trouble, just trying to understand how the "pool" thing is being run.

SWA itself was born out of antitrust lawsuits that American and Braniff no doubt thought were "frivolous," but fortunately Herb Kelleher and his team were willing to fight for rights that kept the company alive to later prosper, and it took many years and a lot of money before they won. I have the greatest respect for that achievement, just want to understand how the poolies are being treated now. I'm not looking for clients -- I don't practice employment law. Just worried about my friends. Your info is appreciated -- thanks.

AvLawyer,

The poolies are being treated fine. Tell your poolie friends to join this forum and sign up on the list if they haven't already done so. I'm sure they can get answers to their questions and concerns from all the people on this forum.

To all readers

Sorry for the long delay in responding to the comments about the cancellation of Aug classes, been out flying around the system.

All flights were over 122+ capacity. Good sign.

Confirmed what has been on here about the cancellation of "tentative" classes for Aug. No other word on when other classes may begin anew but there are no definitive decisions (at SWA they like to turn on a dime!) for future classes at this time from what I've heard.

I don't have the specifics on why the Aug class(es) were not scheduled but I suspect like others on here (RB & others in the know) there are many reasons, repeating them again doesn't do much for those waiting though.

RB states it correctly on here & you should give great credence to what he says. I & others who work at SWA have also tried to do the same. I've tried to be realistic in my observations & psuedo "predictions" but have always tried to do that with the knowledge that the reader knows that SWA keeps a very close eye on the bottom line & not this web site for making business predictions. I believe that is why most of you are interested in working for SWA. I know you all realize that also. This website is more therapy at times (it was for me when I was wading in the pool) than reality.

I will continue to post what I think is realistic info that may help others like others did for me on here some years back. I have not taken any of the comments made by others as negative toward me or anyone who contributes regularly to the website. It's no fun wading in the pool. I'm still optimistic SWA will continue to grow & hire pilots. I believe we will see new hire classes sometime this fall, as to how many, that is much tougher to say. I'll continue to keep my ear to the ground & let you know what I hear. cheers & God Bless,

"what's with the bad vibes"

Hey OPIE01,

I feel your frustration, BUT I also feel the need to give you a shot of reality.

Here ya go. UNCERTAINTY, MANIPULATION AND RUMORS, ARE THE ONLY SURE THINGS IN THE CAREER OF AN AIRLINE PILOT.
I have no desire to be mean, nor argumentative, but I would suggest that you look into a different area of aviation for your career choice if you really need positive, certain surroundings in order to feel comfortable.

In this business, you will be: lied to, lied about, misquoted, misconstrued, mislead, misdirected, (deep breath) misplaced, displaced, bumped, furloughed, merged, stapled(to the bottom), etc,etc, etc. If you just ignore it all and focus on the positive aspects of sitting in the tip of the arrow, you'll do fine. If you let it bug you, you'll get ulcers and worse.
Keep your chin up, and never take anything personally.
regards
8N

Fellow poolies,

IÕve been watching this thread and many others for some time now and I find myself, due to my current employment situation, on this site almost all the time looking for any rumors of movement at Southwest and in the pool...therapy I guess.

For all of us here in the pool and the ones wishing to join us we are frothing at the mouth to finally realize our dreams of flying for Southwest and find our emotions spilling out on the threads and replies. Personally, I canÕt wait to get started, but I have to keep my emotions in check and hang on and wait.

When I read RBÕs reply to this thread I was devastated. I was really hoping the top 40 of us in the pool would be in a class in August possibly September and like he and others have noted, I have made plans around this projection.

We certainly donÕt need to go the route AvLawyer mentions, not sure thatÕs all that productive. What we need to do here is hang on and wait this out. BTW, I just saw something about Embry Riddle reporting 10,000 pilots are needed by the end of 2003? anyone else hear or see this?

So guys and gals lets hang on and wait this out, and Chase, thanks for your input, maybe this fall, thatÕd be cool.

RJ

Aviation School's

RJ...
Do you really expect Embry Riddle A.U. to tell the truth ???
They are in the business of educating and training youngsters to fly and work up to the bigs... Truth be known I bet the 10K number is inflated except for the Cessna 150 flight schools types. Now don't get me wrong we all started there but lets get serious about the state of the economy and what has happened at the Major Airlines in the past 18 months... 9-11 just exacerbated a seriously needed econmic adjustment. I firmly believe that things will be better in the long run. However; as a guy who has just passed the 20 year mark with the USAF I was hoping for a nice transition to SWA as an FO... Now I get to work on my ability to be patient. I like the rest hope that SWA is being cleverly coy placing the pieces of a major growth push in place and then kicking the competitions collective butt again...

"Krunch"
"It is a great thing to be free"

Yup!!

Krunch,

My sentiments exactly. I always got a kick out of these flight schools touting the "looming pilot shortage." Yeah, right. The airlines are facing a pilot shortage about as bad as Hollywood needs actors!! Oh, and people in Hell want a glass of ice water 'cause it hasn't frozen over yet!!

Latest resources

Back