• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Attempts To Steal Routes - Denied

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess all that good will stuff happened when Frank Lorenzo was running Continental. Before my time. As for Southwest. They are an annoyingly pro community and volunteer friendly airline. If you worked for Samsung. You would be pissed off when Apple introduced the iPhone 6 plus because it was taking some of your market share. It's a competive business. Blaming another airline for your airline's misfortune is a cop out. Although last time I checked Unical is one of the largest airlines in the world. Hardly something to complain about.

If Apple had taken the process to build the 6 from Samsung, that's not competition. Competition is working to build your product using legitimate business methods, instead of looking for the backdoor deal to take what you want. Funny how the DOT didn't approve the latter method.

If you want more proof, why didn't SWA try to take one of the routes from a Mexican carrier that flies to IAH?

If Apple had taken the process to build the 6 from Samsung, that's not competition. Competition is working to build your product using legitimate business methods, instead of looking for the backdoor deal to take what you want. Funny how the DOT didn't approve the latter method.

If you want more proof, why didn't SWA try to take one of the routes from a Mexican carrier that flies to IAH?

Speaking of naive, I see that you deigned to open your trap again.

Historically speaking, Southwest is one of the few airlines in the country who actually relies on "legitimate business methods" to compete and build a business. We spend our time and money building and expanding our thing, instead of using it to try to screw over other carriers. Uh... United? Not so much.

I'm pretty sure it was United who, after we decided to expand our HOU business to international, waged a massive propaganda and politics war to attack and harm our business, instead of simply concentrating on their own. We don't tell you how to run your airline, but you can't seem to help yourself trying to tell us how to run ours. But I suppose keeping us from doing the international flying we wanted out of HOU would have prevented you from having actual competition. I know how much you hate that--having to compete with us.

And as far as the Mexican route authority in question, you guys had the only two allowed, once again to prevent anyone else from offering any competition, so you could charge monopoly rates. You guys seem to be big on that--working to keep other carriers from flying the routes you want to charge big on.

Anyway, come next year when route authorities become unlimited, you'll have lots more competition from us to even more places in Mexico. Then you can tell us how "humorous" and "azz-bit" we'll become for our efforts.

Bubba

Well, it might have something to do with the fact that we do not fly out of IAH.

Bubba

And that finishes the argument. Can't compete in IAH, pull out, set up your own little isolated sand box in HOU so no one else can play with you, whine to the DOT cause another airline has 2 routes and presto, a route appears. Now go back again and tell how you compete?

Speaking of naive, I see that you deigned to open your trap again.

Historically speaking, Southwest is one of the few airlines in the country who actually relies on "legitimate business methods" to compete and build a business. We spend our time and money building and expanding our thing, instead of using it to try to screw over other carriers. Uh... United? Not so much.

I'm pretty sure it was United who, after we decided to expand our HOU business to international, waged a massive propaganda and politics war to attack and harm our business, instead of simply concentrating on their own. We don't tell you how to run your airline, but you can't seem to help yourself trying to tell us how to run ours. But I suppose keeping us from doing the international flying we wanted out of HOU would have prevented you from having actual competition. I know how much you hate that--having to compete with us.

And as far as the Mexican route authority in question, you guys had the only two allowed, once again to prevent anyone else from offering any competition, so you could charge monopoly rates. You guys seem to be big on that--working to keep other carriers from flying the routes you want to charge big on.

Anyway, come next year when route authorities become unlimited, you'll have lots more competition from us to even more places in Mexico. Then you can tell us how "humorous" and "azz-bit" we'll become for our efforts.

Bubba

Prevent? HA. Laughable. United gave SWA 19 city pairs out of EWR with the merger cause they bitched so much to the DOT. And a clue for you here, just because you have an airline, it doesn't mean you get to fly where you want, when you want, even at others expense no matter how much you jump up and down and cry.

Prevent? HA. Laughable. United gave SWA 19 city pairs out of EWR with the merger cause they bitched so much to the DOT. And a clue for you here, just because you have an airline, it doesn't mean you get to fly where you want, when you want, even at others expense no matter how much you jump up and down and cry.

Are you seriously that delusional?

Yes, other than slot controlled airports, you can fly where and when you want. Southwest carved out a nice niche at Hobby how many years ago and your still crying about it? I guess we 'can't compete' in Denver either. You do know we added new gates to the end of the C terminal because we've done so well there, right?

How many terminals has Continental every paid for 'from the ground up'? or is it just screwing the public with more bond money to then turn and leave town?

And that finishes the argument. Can't compete in IAH, pull out, set up your own little isolated sand box in HOU so no one else can play with you, whine to the DOT cause another airline has 2 routes and presto, a route appears. Now go back again and tell how you compete?

Well, I agree that it should have finished the argument, long ago.

We've always flown out of HOU, Einstein; it was one or our original three cities. At the time, Continental still flew to/from there, as well as other carriers. We thrived there and elsewhere in spite of competition, and also despite efforts (some even illegal) by other airlines to kill us, because they didn't want to actually have to compete with us. As with other airports we serve, other carriers came and went at their own whim. Currently, Delta, JetBlue and American Eagle serve HOU in addition to us.

Years later, we added a single gate at IAH for a single city-pair: IAH - DAL. It was added to complement our HOU - DAL service, which at its peak had over 40 nonstops each day in each direction. That's all we ever flew from IAH, and eventually, it stopped being financially sound to staff an airport for one city pair (mainly due to 9/11 and the whole TSA/inconvenient airport experience hurting all short haul routes). So we discontinued that limited service. So, again, you're wrong: we didn't "run" from IAH to HOU.

You must be really new to this industry, because it's glaringly obvious that you don't know the first thing concerning the history of the US airline industry in the second half of the 20th century. Not one damn thing have you ever gotten right. Go pick up a history book or something--you're embarrassing yourself.

Bubba

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back