Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ex737Driver

Contract 2020????
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwest-wins-approval-flights-houston-162236192.html

Southwest Airlines gets green light for flights between Houston and Mexico City, Cabo

DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines Co. has won U.S. approval to fly from Houston to Mexico City and the San Jose del Cabo.

Southwest plans to operate the flights beginning in October from a new international terminal being built at Houston's Hobby Airport.

The number of flights between the U.S. and Mexico is limited by treaty, but the U.S. Department of Transportation indicated Tuesday that both countries agreed to allow additional airlines to fly across the border.

Southwest had tried to replace United Airlines or its United Express partner, SkyWest Airlines, on the two Houston-Mexico routes, but the U.S. Department of Transportation declined to approve that request in January.

On Tuesday, the department said that it decided to grant Southwest's request after finding that Mexican aviation authorities would also approve the extra service.

United spokeswoman Mary Clark said the airline applauded Tuesday's decision, saying it will benefit consumers without affecting current services on the routes.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwest-wins-approval-flights-houston-162236192.html

Southwest Airlines gets green light for flights between Houston and Mexico City, Cabo

DALLAS (AP) -- Southwest Airlines Co. has won U.S. approval to fly from Houston to Mexico City and the San Jose del Cabo.

On Tuesday, the department said that it decided to grant Southwest's request after finding that Mexican aviation authorities would also approve the extra service.

United spokeswoman Mary Clark said the airline applauded Tuesday's decision, saying it will benefit consumers without affecting current services on the routes.

Looks like an approval to me. Also, United seems happy about it too.

The treaty got relaxed, so the flights both directions are opened up (good). It's going to be real interesting to see what happens when Volaris and Interjet (and others) want into Hobby, because there's no room!! Mexico built plenty of common use gates for SWA (and others) but SWA did not.

I didn't realize that a path of travel could be subject to a heist.

Southwest had tried to replace United Airlines or its United Express partner, SkyWest Airlines, on the two Houston-Mexico routes, but the U.S. Department of Transportation declined to approve that request in January.

Going to see a lot of^^^^^^

This is America. There is no stealing routes. Its a free market and competition is part of a free economy.
Only Obama loving commies feel that SWA is doing anything wrong.

The treaty got relaxed, so the flights both directions are opened up (good). It's going to be real interesting to see what happens when Volaris and Interjet (and others) want into Hobby, because there's no room!! Mexico built plenty of common use gates for SWA (and others) but SWA did not.

I don't know why you think they want to go to Hobby

IAH. Is more there speed.

I am glad SWA did not take away my flying . Us reginal guys need more and bigger,not less. :)

I don't know why you think they want to go to Hobby

You think Mexico is suppose to render unfettered access to a plethora of common use gates for SWA and then not receive the same in the US? SWA will open a main artery to their protected (no/little code sharing) system and these airlines will want in. They deserve to get in. The instant 1 gate doesn't cut it, the city is going to have to force them to make another available. If they had followed recent, pertinent guidance for secondary airports with small gate numbers, ALL of these gates should be common use. Hell, that's what should have been done with Love Field 40 years ago. The entitlrety of SWA's airport business in Texas is a scheme to unbalance the playing field. It amounts to almost the same sort of problem legacies face with Gulf States carriers.

Glad you're happy doing the flying youre doing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back