• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly-By-Cable

One Family, One Future
by Ginger Hardage

We've had so many important and exciting announcements recently, and I can tell from the comments on SWALife and the conversations I've had with many of you, both Southwest and AirTran Employees are passionate about our future. Integrating two airlines is not an easy process—we said from the beginning that the labor portion of this integration work would be the most difficult. Experts will say that airline integration can’t be done in a smooth and civil way, but if anyone can do it, I believe you can—the 43,000 Employees of Southwest and AirTran.

Our competitors who are going through mergers themselves, and those low-cost carriers who have modeled themselves after our business, want nothing more than to see us fail at this. The choice is ours, however, and our future—the future of both Southwest and AirTran, linked together—lies in the hands of our Employees. We have made such great strides, and should be proud of the integration milestones we have accomplished so far. We must focus on working together and treating each other with respect as we move forward.

In light of everything going on around us, and the emotions and feelings that go with it, do not lose sight of the fact that we are still One LUV and One Family. Our Culture and our People are what set us apart from the competition—they are our most important weapon. And we must not jeopardize that by disrespecting each other. We simply will not tolerate bad behavior—with each other in the workplace, when sharing thoughts/ideas/emotions in writing, through interpersonal interactions,
or on the Employee blog. The success of this integration is critical to the future of this Company, and we must remember to respect one another along the way.

Part of our pledge to Employees in our Mission statement says that, “Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.” Our Family is known for Teamwork and how we treat one another—and not just those who are like us or who wear the same uniform, or are in our department. The environment for our industry is uncertain. We face volatile fuel prices, unpredictable Customer demand, changing regulations, a deteriorating economic environment, and fierce competition. We must overcome these challenges in order to prosper. But we can’t do that if we are distracted.

As Gary confirmed in his Newsline message this week, “Our jobs are secure at Southwest and at AirTran, and we’re going to work very hard to take care of all of our People.” What's just as important—and I truly hope you consider your personal role in this—is that we take care of each other, each and every day.

Fly By,

Have you bothered to read the blog post under some of these issues? Please do. The other SW groups are not happy. Don't take my word for it...read it. It's enlightening.

PS- these are mostly 'non-pilot' types posting there.

RF

I guess you didn't get the memo about not re-posting internal company correspondence.

Just because it deserves to be said again. Since you guys read or post all of our internal dealings.

One Family, One Future
by Ginger Hardage

We've had so many important and exciting announcements recently, and I can tell from the comments on SWALife and the conversations I've had with many of you, both Southwest and AirTran Employees are passionate about our future. Integrating two airlines is not an easy process—we said from the beginning that the labor portion of this integration work would be the most difficult. Experts will say that airline integration can’t be done in a smooth and civil way, but if anyone can do it, I believe you can—the 43,000 Employees of Southwest and AirTran.

Our competitors who are going through mergers themselves, and those low-cost carriers who have modeled themselves after our business, want nothing more than to see us fail at this. The choice is ours, however, and our future—the future of both Southwest and AirTran, linked together—lies in the hands of our Employees. We have made such great strides, and should be proud of the integration milestones we have accomplished so far. We must focus on working together and treating each other with respect as we move forward.

In light of everything going on around us, and the emotions and feelings that go with it, do not lose sight of the fact that we are still One LUV and One Family. Our Culture and our People are what set us apart from the competition—they are our most important weapon. And we must not jeopardize that by disrespecting each other. We simply will not tolerate bad behavior—with each other in the workplace, when sharing thoughts/ideas/emotions in writing, through interpersonal interactions,
or on the Employee blog. The success of this integration is critical to the future of this Company, and we must remember to respect one another along the way.

Part of our pledge to Employees in our Mission statement says that, “Above all, Employees will be provided the same concern, respect, and caring attitude within the organization that they are expected to share externally with every Southwest Customer.” Our Family is known for Teamwork and how we treat one another—and not just those who are like us or who wear the same uniform, or are in our department. The environment for our industry is uncertain. We face volatile fuel prices, unpredictable Customer demand, changing regulations, a deteriorating economic environment, and fierce competition. We must overcome these challenges in order to prosper. But we can’t do that if we are distracted.

As Gary confirmed in his Newsline message this week, “Our jobs are secure at Southwest and at AirTran, and we’re going to work very hard to take care of all of our People.” What's just as important—and I truly hope you consider your personal role in this—is that we take care of each other, each and every day.

Fly By,

Have you bothered to read the blog post under some of these issues? Please do. The other SW groups are not happy. Don't take my word for it...read it. It's enlightening.

PS- these are mostly 'non-pilot' types posting there.

RF

"when sharing thoughts/ideas/emotions in writing, through interpersonal interactions"...such as Flightinfo, MSY hotel bar, MCO employee bus. Not just company blog.

"The success of this integration is critical to the future of this Company, and we must remember to respect one another along the way."

Don't hate us, your future depends on it.

"

We don't, and no it doesn't.

Wow, thats a step onto the "entitlement train" if I ever saw one.

How can you say we don't like you, we laugh at everything you say, you are a humorous guy, bless your heart!

Gary wants the deal done, he wants everyone happy. Only problem is someone has told him NO twice, now, who's side did that?

Last edited:
"The success of this integration is critical to the future of this Company, and we must remember to respect one another along the way."

Someone told me that you are one of the ALPA guys. Is that true? Actually, I'm not surprised because at the 2 ALPA carriers I was at, I was astounded at the stupidity of their thoughts and actions. Based on your posts, you are a dead ringer. 98% of the reason ALPA is on it's last gasps of breath as a union.

Latest resources

Back