SWA Apps - 1 April Deadline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RATE THE PREP

How does Craig Thornton rate against Mozam Beeks? I guess HPA and AirInc also have interview prep. I've also heard of a free interview prep at Randolph AFB (I can't remember her name, but heard she's good, provides videotape of mock interview: supposedly free for Active Duty military).

POOLIES

One more question:
How many poolies are no longer really in the pool, any idea? I've heard some may have started with JetBlue and FedEx, some may have been activated in the Reserves, etc.

swaprep.com

Craig was encouraged by Rob Beeks to help him out by taking on his "excess" back when times were good...

I don't know Beeks, but Craig absolutly know his $hit, was right on the money with my prep. It was well worth the time, effort & $$$ to have used him.

I have told him time & time again, I really doubt that I would be waiting in line for a SWA class date without his assistance!!

AS has been posted here before.... there are no right/wrong answers, but knowing the format, the pace & surroundings BEFORE walking into HQ sure took alot of the edge off that morning in DAL!!;)

Good Luck to all who follow - and hurry up!!:D

Tred

Some thoughts

By closing the app window the PD will be allowed to focus much of their energies on completing a lot of projects that have been put on the back burner with the constant flow of apps coming in. With a sufficient number of apps in the system it makes sense to use their time & energy on getting some of these projects completed. Most of the projects will help new applicants and old applicants with the entire processing, i.e. on-line apps processing, computerizing the entire app process, quicker & more efficient updates, etc. Continuing to spend their wheels when we aren't interviewing isn't a good use of their time but completing these projects will be.

Someone asked about getting the type before or after applying. You must have the type before applying anyway so it is a moot point.

On the two year question, to get the definitive answer call the PD but I would suspect the 2 year window is the 2 year window. If it is after 1 April, you'll probably have to wait until the app window opens again.

Folks who applied prior to the requirement that made it mandatory are grandfathered but quite frankly I would expect that before they get down to that number of folks they will re-open the app window & then folks with types will go in front of those folks again since SWA has always said they will interview folks with types prior to those without types (that is assuming those with types have cleared all the hurdles it takes to get called for an interview...sheer speculation on my part but for those who are waiting to be called for an interview without a type, I believe you need to be realistic in today's market, this probably won't happen IMHO).

Future hires will be hard to determine for the rest of '04. Rough numbers that have been thrown around are in the 100 more but that number is too iffy to be anything other than a warm bowl of jello....just too many variables.

BTW, we have approximately 82 pilots recalled right now. Lots of extra flying, JAing is going on quite often. The 7 April class is still on but after that things are up in the air.

To our warriors overseas & stateside who read this, God Speed & good hunting!!!

Recommendations on Rob & Craig....both class acts, consider their services if you think you need them. You'll have to be the judge but don't walk in to an interview wishing you had but didn't! I've heard good things on the lady at Randolph AFB, very good words. HPA does has an ex-HR & pilot interviewer for AA on their staff. She speaks to each class & will also set up individual appointments if you choose to attend HPA.

Last edited:
What????

Future hires will be hard to determine for the rest of '04. Rough numbers that have been thrown around are in the 100 more but that number is too iffy to be anything other than a warm bowl of jello....just too many variables.

Chase,

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you clarify? Do you mean '03, or have things become even more uncertain for '04? Last I heard from LL, she told me they're taking 40 airplanes in '04, and they were looking at a total of 140 new-hires for this year (subject to change of course).

Thanks,
Coop

Coop

The original thought was there would be about 7 new-hire classes this year. We will have had 4 with the 7 April. I haven't heard an official date for the next one but with the heavy flying the FOs are doing I would expect it would be sooner rather than later. I'm sure they are looking at the current loads & expected loads for the next few weeks to see if there has been a drop. Either way there is alot of VJAing going on right now. I just got back from working my 6th straight day-3 days of extra flying to fill holes & a regular 3 day trip. As for next year, the aircraft orders are still there (I need to go back & look up the exact numbers, I'll put them in this box when I get them. Hope that helps a little.

As for those who may have read my original comments & thought SWA isn't taking updates, i.e. those who applied without types prior to 1 Nov '02. Here is my advice for those in the pool but without a type.

There are two pools in essence. One with & one without types. We all know that. One wants to get into the pool with types & do it ASAP during this lull & here is my reasoning.

IF you REALLY want to be at SWA & you see yourself here in the future AND you're willing to do EVERYTHING to make that happen, then I would recommend you take this lull in accepting applications as your time to get the type rating. Here is why.

1. SWA has many apps, fewer with types than without. You immediately move yourself into a more competitive pool & a sooner interview date when the interviews start. This is the only thing you can do during this time so why not take advantage of it & improve your chances?

2. When the app window opens up again there will be many folks (there will be more furloughs down the road I'm afraid & many of them will be applying) with types & will only push the folks without types further back in the line to get a call for an interview.

3. By getting the type during this lull it is my belief it could demonstrate to a decision board that you took advantage of this time to improve your position & shows a level of desire to work for the company when many others will use it as a time to sit on the sidelines & see what happens.

4. Getting a type class after the app window opens may prove to be difficult because once the window opens, there will be many folks competing for limited slots.

I realize getting the type is (1) expensive (2) no guarantee to getting hired (3) easy for me to say since I have a job & a steady income. All of the above is true. I only offer these thoughts for your reflection. Only you can determine if any of the above is applicable to you & whether you wish to make this type of committment to coming to SWA. I will also give you my best reason to get a type:

5. By acquiring a type in the near future, you will be eligible for being interviewed & thus potentially hired sooner than those folks who don't have a type or those who apply after the window opens up again....that equates to seniority & that equates to money.

This lull in hiring & slow draining of the pool is frustrating for many, including SWA. I fully expect (& have read recent financial analysis to support it) our growth to accelerate once other carriers determine their level of cutbacks or outright bankruptcy/liquidation. The pain suffered by those employees is unfortunate for all those involved.

At some point many of the folks in the current pool had to weigh the pros & cons of getting the type or not. Some were fortunate to get hired without the type & acquired it after getting the call from LL. IMHO that may be much more difficult to do in the near future. Again I caveat all of this with the fact I have no inside information but am only speculating. I'm writing this to only let those who have met the deadline to realize you do have options that could improve your chances of getting hired once interviews start again. Cheers & God Bless our troops,

Last edited:
App questions

I am an active military jet instructor and was planning on getting both my type rating and ATP by Aug-Sep this year, then putting in app. This deadline obviously is speeding things up for me. I currently have a Commercial-Multi-Inst license. Can I still put my app in with this or do I HAVE TO HAVE THE ATP? No way I can get an ATP in the next 7 days. My hope is that I can get my app in now AS IS and update it by late summer with the type rating and ATP.
I just called three fellow instructor/reservists who are with Southwest for the recommendation letters and I think I can get the first-class medical by the end of this week, but that is iffy. I also think that you just have to have the type BEFORE INTERVIEW so the main question for me is the ATP rating????(Am I wrong on this?) Any thoughts FAST would be appreciated. (I am sitting by the computer all night checking for replies).

Thanks,
Boz

bummer

SWAnnabe,
you must meet all of the requirements to apply:

Licenses / Ratings:
U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Non Restricted U.S. TypeRating on a B-737 required for interview effective 11/1/2002.

Flight Experience:
2500 hours total or 1500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the **Pilot in command, as defined by FAR PART I is required. Recency of experience is considered. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted.**
:

I see what you are getting at with the "required for interview" but I believe your application would be rejected without the type rating. In the past they have always held firm to their mins for other things (like hours). Many years ago I asked if I could apply before I had the 1000 hours PIC, but I would have it before I interviewed ... the response - send in your application THE DAY you meet ALL of the requirements. Without all of the requirements it would be rejected. Hopefully, Chase or someone else more knowledgeable than I will give you the inside scoop - but I bet I am right.
In the end the type will be a moot point, because the ATP will be a show stopper. Sorry about that. I suggest you go get the ATP/Type ASAP anyway, even if it won't meet the deadline. When the window reopens there are going to be a lot of folks rushing out to get their types and at least you'll be ahead of them.

Best of luck.

ATP

As long as you get the ATP written done first, the Type rating counts as your ATP. I did it that way.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but if you have your ATP written when you do the 737 type, you will get your ATP. That is what K&S told us. I already had my ATP when I got my type. I did my ATP writ with Lone Eagle and type with K&S. Both in PHX and would highly recommend both.

Latest resources

Back