SWA Announces DEN Routes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A bystander's observation, if I may:

Reading the previous posts, I get the feeling that all of you SWA bashers would probably go to work there in a heartbeat, if they were to offer you a flying position!
But that's just $0.02 from a freightdog--and we know nothing, right?!

This thread is sort of like a "Regionals" thread where they all bash each other for being whores, and scabs, for working for such cheap wages.
Yet I bet each and every one of them would jump at the opportunity to fly bigger and better airplanes, for those same whorish wages, should their airline get lucky and get past scope and all that good stuff.

Ahhh, the irony...

Yep, you ever think AA hasn't back out of deals?

The gates at Love come to mind....once they put Legend out of business they had no need for them and tried to weezel out of paying for them. I'm sure the list is long for AA.

Funny...I seem to be carrying the same types of folks on the WN flights I work as I used to carry on all the United Express stuff I used to fly. Hmmm...

You guys that think low-cost means low-class patrons need to get a clue, I think.

fngswa said:
Just checked Frontier flight from Denver-MDW Nov 11-13th: $333.00. Fares will go down, business will be driven higher. People are looking for a better deal. I don't think they are yet willing to pay a premium to watch TV for a couple of hours. My humble biased opinion.

Oohhhh...just checked PHX-MDW-PHX on November 3rd, returning the next day:

SWA - $404
F9 - $317.91

And your ridiculous point is what again?

fngswa said:
Just checked Frontier flight from Denver-MDW Nov 11-13th: $333.00. Fares will go down, business will be driven higher. People are looking for a better deal. I don't think they are yet willing to pay a premium to watch TV for a couple of hours. My humble biased opinion.

Oh, and if you book it on Travelocity.com (which SWA isn't part of), you can get the RT on F9 for $278...still trying to see your point...

Figure it out

Jetwhatever,

Yes, F9 might charge less, but I guarantee you those WN PHX-MDW-PHX flights will be at a 98% load factor. We charge what we can to make money. I'd say our management and pricing folks have it right. Now, if the load factors were much less, I'd say our fares would come down to where the LF would go up. Its called supply and demand. Maybe F9s LFs aren't that high, or their management/pricing folks don't know what to do. Who knows.

Slug

Taking a one day snapshot of a particular fare is like making snap jjudgements on person who post on forums....they aren't always as they appear to be....some get better, others are worse.

The fare that is offered today on a particular city fare is based upon many factors but the key one is how full is the flight right now....as someone put it, supply & demand....if Airline A has a lower fare today on a particular route than Airline B it may very well be that Airline B has more seats already sold than Airline A....lower prices will hopefully generate the market forces that some on here appear to dislike....if SWA can charge higher fares on a particular route then who's to blame them if the public makes that choice...the same could be said for F9, JB or AA....that's the way the system should work & let competitive forces determine what the fares should be. Airlines have given up $3.4B in wages/benefits between since 2002 but fuel increases have eaten all of those concessions & then some, $6.2B...fares have had to rise at airlines to cover that difference but those increases are only covering a portion of the fuel increases....SWA has been fortunate, lucky, wise to have hedges that diminish that thereby allowing lower fares....they could've raised their prices by 20-30% & still would be within historical averages of where they have stood in the past in relation to other carriers....they have elected to not raise their fares, a choice that is theirs alone.

As an aside....it was pointed out to me recently & I find it interesting that many oversea carriers have done hedges for quite sometime...it is a regular part of their business plan....I realize SWA isn't the only bright guy around & this confirms it...the other explanation is that it gets down to leadership & vision at the top....one must have that if one is to be successful....I believe we'll do OK in DEN, check back on the numbers in a year, I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the result & I suspect that F9 will have carried more pax over that same time also due to the SWA effect....just one person's opinion....

Latest resources

Back