• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious Gup, what made you buy the type and go to WN before they "made real money"?

Two words - job security. Plus the 4 year upgrade (that didn't happen) and being relatively senior for the vast majority of my career. I try to laugh, enjoy my work and those that work with me. In totality I thought it was a better long term fit than the other TWO offers I was lucky enough to have - Mother and AA.

The upgrade took longer, the retirements have stalled out but the money is 50% more than the day I got hired. So far I'm both winning and losing my own bet. I'll let you know in another 20 if I did alright.

Gup

Two words - job security. Plus the 4 year upgrade (that didn't happen) and being relatively senior for the vast majority of my career. I try to laugh, enjoy my work and those that work with me. In totality I thought it was a better long term fit than the other TWO offers I was lucky enough to have - Mother and AA.

The upgrade took longer, the retirements have stalled out but the money is 50% more than the day I got hired. So far I'm both winning and losing my own bet. I'll let you know in another 20 if I did alright.

Gup

Mother and AA? Are you a girl? Or are you a guy who wanted to be a girl and have a kid that way? Gross. No wonder you are OAK based.

OYS

Gup

Fair enough. Probably gives you a little better perspective than most of the less fortunate amongst both groups that came to either airline since then with those same hopes and are now concerned.

If you wanted job security and pay you would have focused on FDX and UPS(for that matter you should go there now). Southwest has had the luxury of good management(you are only one Carty,Steenland,Tilton,Wolf away), plus some luck (fuel hedges) Pre 9/11 if you wanted all of the above plus a great pension, benefits, and contract it would of been with one of the big 4. The vibe some of y'all give off reminds me of UAL in 2000. On top of the world and invincable. Unlike GL and OYS I am happy for y'all and hope you can maintain and improve on your current contract. Besides having family and friends working there it can only help us in what is going to be a battle for contract restoration.

Ridiculous.

Many of us hired before 9-11 had choices and choose SWA for the job security and future prospects.

ridiculous.

Many of us hired before 9-11 had choices and choose swa for the job security and future prospects.
airtran, cal, ual, dal, amr, nejets dudes all can say the same thing.

Last edited:
If you wanted job security and pay you would have focused on FDX and UPS(for that matter you should go there now). Southwest has had the luxury of good management(you are only one Carty,Steenland,Tilton,Wolf away), plus some luck (fuel hedges) Pre 9/11 if you wanted all of the above plus a great pension, benefits, and contract it would of been with one of the big 4. The vibe some of y'all give off reminds me of UAL in 2000. On top of the world and invincable. Unlike GL and OYS I am happy for y'all and hope you can maintain and improve on your current contract. Besides having family and friends working there it can only help us in what is going to be a battle for contract restoration.

UPS? Job security? They reported a billion in profits last year and STILL FURLOUGHED!!

...says Southwest will KEEP the Airtran baggage fees and first class FOR NOW. .

There has never been a plan to get rid of business class, bag fees, the name or the livery prior to them actually operating on the SWA certificate. Until then, they are still Air Tran.

When the aircraft begin the move to the SWA cert, then they will be painted and reconfigured to a SWA aircraft.

Until the time the last 717 (or intl 737) makes the jump, you'll likely have the normal Air Tran product that you have today.

UPS? Job security? They reported a billion in profits last year and STILL FURLOUGHED!!
Hundreds of people left majors and the military for UPS between 2003-2008 BECAUSE of the "stability and job security." Very similar to the same group leaving for swa up to 2000. Yes, dude-swa's "job security" only came to fruition because of Scott Topping and Gary Kelly's decision to fuel hedge. Something which was completely unknown to those who "were looking for job stability."
This is what the arbitrator will be looking at when deciding the sli. "How much did you really know about the future of the airline and its stability, especially when AAI was looking at 4 year upgrades mid-2000s??"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back