• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lots of good points from both sides....leads me to believe a group of arbitrators will come up with a fair SLI solution...fair is nowhere near staple. Historically the arguments were DOH vs Relative seniority. I imagine the solution will fall somewhere between the 2. In 9-12 months I will quote myself with this post and will see how accurate my hypothesis was.

Oh boy, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth...many Trannys on this forum were begging to be bought and relieved of their management and contract, but now that it has happened are shopping for seniority, while enjoying a windfall in QOL/benefits and job security...amazing

I don't think anyone is "shopping" for seniority, but I don't see how QOL = staple. Doesn't seem fair to me.

I wasn't talking to you but I guess I'll reply to your speculation on what the arbitrators might look at. They might look a the fact that while your upgrade then was estimated at four years and ours was five, your upgrade put you financially equal to about a 4 year SWA FO, and our upgrade put us over 50% above your most senior captain. Something else that might be considered is the fact that SWA is a place where pilots have aspired to work, even pre 911 with sub-standard rates. There is not one pilot on the AAI list who is there because that is where they always wanted to work. Couple that with the fact that SWA had hundreds of apps on file from AAI pilots in the hiring years prior to the transaction, and I feel pretty good about the picture that might be painted.

That being said, a negotiated solution is best for all.

My Bean eating brother,

A quick note on your consistently fair analysis; AirTran upgrades were in the 2 to 2.5 year range during that period. Progression of 70% up a seniority list in 9 years. The pay now matches DAL MD88 and DC9 rates.

Not fantastic. Not SWAPA, however a relatively good improvement in a short period of time.

Care to give an accurate breakdown of upgrade times at SWA from 2005 till present day ? Perhaps a quick number for movement up the list ?

There are always two sides to the peso. :)

Funnyman- I'd guess it's not either- both of those methods would leave CJ and the few hundred pilots hired in 2008 at the bottom of the combined list w/ no one but our 2011 hires beneath all of them- I see various moods about SLI around SWA- but no one who will vote for all those swa pilots being the plug and a several hundred pilot cushion for the bottom AT pilot at the end of the day.

These jobs just weren't equal and swa bought AT-
A staple won't happen, but neither will straight relative or DOH bc of this.

Funny,

Your prediction would be a very contentious award amongst the SWA pilots. May 2nd was a day of celebration for all AAI employees. It was just business as usual at SWA. The reason for this is that AAI pilots gain on all fronts, pay/benefits, job security and QOL. They will have access to a huge system and will enjoy increased flexibility, in short their lives will change dramatically for the better. SWA pilots gain NOTHING, they will not get a pay raise, or increased benefits...the only fair solution is for AAI to give up seniority in return for being part of the SWA CBA, the question for negotiators/arbitrators is how much seniority gain/loss is fair and equitable...

Care to give an accurate breakdown of upgrade times at SWA from 2005 till present day ? Perhaps a quick number for movement up the list ?

WN has upgrade roughly 1,000 Captains since 1/1/2006 - or 60% of the entire AAI seniority list.

Is that what you were looking for?

Gup ;)

We shall see....I would bet that a less than DOH is highly unlikely. There are hundreds of solutions that could occur that would protect both groups, especially the senior SW fo's. Im looking for an SLI that doesn't negatively affect one SW pilot. Im sure that there is a way to solve this by giving every SW pilot an increase in overall seniority and Airtran pilots only lose a couple of percent. BTW DOH would increase every SW Pilot's seniority significantly, but hurt Airtran guys up to 25%. It is pretty alarming that SW pilots think DOH hurts them. I would like ONE example of the negative affect of DOH to the SW pilot group, the are many for the Airtran pilots.

Last edited:
My Bean eating brother,

A quick note on your consistently fair analysis; AirTran upgrades were in the 2 to 2.5 year range during that period. Progression of 70% up a seniority list in 9 years. The pay now matches DAL MD88 and DC9 rates.

Not fantastic. Not SWAPA, however a relatively good improvement in a short period of time.

Prior to 09 the SWAPA calculator had about 5yrs for Lance Ca, 6 yrs for line Ca. Things changed when Gary dropped his growth plans in favor of acquisition. Age 65 didn't help either. I was using Jonjuans numbers in response to his idea of what the arbitrators might look at.

WN has upgrade roughly 1,000 Captains since 1/1/2006 - or 60% of the entire AAI seniority list.

- Or 16.9 % of the SWA list ..... ;)

It's that "two sides to the Peso" thingy again. I have no idea what it all means. Thankfully we all have some very bright people to work it out for us.

Cheers.

Latest resources

Back