SWA/AAI SLI agreement in principle.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
....except for alpo

Not quite. ALPA fought hard to keep age 60 for (if I recall corrctly) almost 30 years. During that time SWAPA was heavily involved with the PPA(F?) to get age 60 overturned. When the writing was on the wall for the change(2007) ALPA changed it's stance and decided to support the rule change with an eye to having some impact into how it was written.

I was never a supporter of the rule change and was less than pleased when ALPA National changed its stance.

You are being very dishonest when you purport ALPA to have been heavily involved in the 49 year fight to change the rule.

ALPA has got a lot of very serious problems but you don't have to make up lies.

Another home run for honesty!

ALPA kept this at 60 till they decided 65 was best, no way around thinking 5000 SWAPA pilots had any sway against 70,000 ALPA'ites. SWAPA ain't the "300".

I was told swa pilots would never have to throw gear for a former airtran captain that was junior to him. With this supposed 10yr AT captain fence, there must be something else in the agreement that would prevent that from happening. We'll see.

And yet, it didn't change until ALPA wanted it to........

You guys make me laugh. On one hand you all say ALPA can't get crap done, weak, ineffective, blah...blah...blah... On the other ALPA was able to get the age 60 rule changed overnight. So, which is it? The rule was changing anyway. ALPA jumped on board at the last minute. A crappy move in my opinion.

We all get it. ALPA is the focus if evil in the modern world. Independant unions rule. Or I should say rule as long as they are initialed SWAPA. I don't think you have much use for the APA. And FAPA certainly didn't fare too well with you guys.

My best buddy is a '93 hire at SWA. I know life there is pretty great for you guys. I'm glad the independant thing works there. But the reason it works there is because you have an incredibly enlightened and labor-friendly management. Look at IPA. Those guys are more tight-knit and united than FDX guys will ever be. That still didn't stop their management from furloughing pilots while the company is raking in hundreds of millions in profits. We tried the independant union here. Management ate us for lunch. And our management is pretty benign, as airline managements go. In fact, the biggest complaint that I hear concerning ALPA at FDX is that we are not militant enough.

ALPA has enough problems without you guys posting untrue information.

My original post was in response to an SWA F/O complaining about the age change. Something his mighty and beloved SWAPA had advocated for many years.

I didn't mean to steer this away from the original subject of this thread.
I hope the best for both SWA and AAI pilots. May you be able to put aside your differences and work together to help keep SWA the great place that it is.

Oh yeah. One more thing. This is from our 7/19 FDX ALPA news letter. Looks like some guys think that SWA isn't the be all/end all after all.;)

"FedEx Express began a group of 19 pilot new hires on July 11. Seven of these new hires are going to the ANC domicile as MD-11 First Officers. The 12 remaining new hires are being trained as MEM B727 First Officers. This class of pilots came from a variety of backgrounds. We have pilots joining us from USAF, USN, USAFR, USNR, USMCR, ANG, Southwest, OMNI Air International, XTRA Airways, Pinnacle, SkyWest, and Air Cargo Carriers. "

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back