• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI and the flight deck jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest 'codeshare' will go away thanks to the SWAPA's well written section one of the contract.

I think we can all admit that's a good thing for all us...on both sides.

And Tripower is right, anyone trying to argue that this isn't a big windfall for the AAI guys in career expecations/pay/QOL is disingenous.

Also, how many days does an AT guy average at work per month?

I'm a great example of what you guys are in for.

I'm a slacker by SW standards, and since Jan., I've averaged 12.33 days worked per month (some more, some less), and at the end of June, I will have grossed a little over $120k, every penny at straight pay.

There were 2 vacation weeks in there too, and I've still got 2 more this year.

A guy living in domicile and gaming the system can (and they do) make far north of this number.

Luv2bflying,

What has/can a comparable 12+ year AT guy made Jan/June (with the new contract, no less), flying 12.33 days a month at straight time?

Roughly 1/3 or the AT pilot group had active apps on file at SW on 9/27/10 (not to mention the hundreds that actually jumped off the AT ship prior to that date).

That draws a vivid picture of "career expectations" between the 2 companies.

I'm throwing the BS flag on this one.

Two thirds of the AirTran group had been hired since 2002. How far back are you counting? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's all moot. Some of you guys don't understand what "anecdotal" means.

Read some past arbitration rulings on mergers between healthy carriers. They look primarily at the equipment type and seat. "Career expectations" is a function of available airframes, seats, and the number of years you can expect to be in that seat.

Some of you guys crack me up. No past merger between healthy carriers has EVER resulted in yanking Captains out of their seats and upgrading hundreds of FO's to take those seats. Not a one. This merger will be no different, and anyone telling you otherwise is full of it.

Last edited:
Also, how many days does an AT guy average at work per month?

I'm a great example of what you guys are in for.

I'm a slacker by SW standards, and since Jan., I've averaged 12.33 days worked per month (some more, some less), and at the end of June, I will have grossed a little over $120k, every penny at straight pay.

There were 2 vacation weeks in there too, and I've still got 2 more this year.

A guy living in domicile and gaming the system can (and they do) make far north of this number.

Luv2bflying,

What has/can a comparable 12+ year AT guy made Jan/June (with the new contract, no less), flying 12.33 days a month at straight time?

Newsflash . . . . . What you are describing are all dependant upon the current contract/current bidding/current pay scheme.

All that can change, and may change for the worst.

When it does, are you going to give me my seniority back?

I'm not saying you would lose your seat in a negotiated settlement, there could be many other ways to work the SLI.

If you want to go to arbitration and die on the 'I'm not losing my seat' mantra, I have a suspecion that it might not work out so well for you.

Penny wise and pound foolish in this deal is not looking at things long term.

Its actually probably more. Don't come over then. Bid the 717 go where they go.
You don't hear too many AAI pilots on here telling SWA pilots what to do . . . but you sure see a lot of SWA pilots telling AAI guys what to do. :rolleyes:

Thanks, buddy. When I want some crappy advice, I'll be sure to look you up.

I'm not saying you would lose your seat in a negotiated settlement, there could be many other ways to work the SLI.

If you want to go to arbitration and die on the 'I'm not losing my seat' mantra, I have a suspecion that it might not work out so well for you.

Penny wise and pound foolish in this deal is not looking at things long term.

I'm not doing anything, except countering the b.s. that flows here on a daily basis. An example is the veiled threats in most of your posts. Maybe you haven't noticed, but all those do is piss us off. No one is scared, except a certain Orlando Gate Agent. :rolleyes:

I'm a pawn in this game just like you are. The difference is that I realize it.

Last edited:
So Ty,

You have any thoughts about what this might look like if negotiated? I'm mean realistic thoughts, not pie in the sky 'one side gets everything' deal.

How would that vary from what you preceive in an arbitrated list. This is FI, let me have it.

Not trying to throw any grenades, just wondering what your thoughts are.

So Ty,

You have any thoughts about what this might look like if negotiated? I'm mean realistic thoughts, not pie in the sky 'one side gets everything' deal.

How would that vary from what you preceive in an arbitrated list. This is FI, let me have it.

Not trying to throw any grenades, just wondering what your thoughts are.

Since we were asked by our Union to not debate SLI expectations, I have refrained from doing so. I'm really not sure that it would have ANY effect, but I support the negotiation process and both our negotiation teams, and that is what they have asked from us, so I won't do it.

I really don't have a concrete opinion, because I realize I don't have all the data and facts. When the two committees have reached an agreement (hopefully) I will definitely give it 100% consideration, and then vote my one measly vote.

And, in the end, whatever we end up with is what we end up with. I am already resigned to live with it, but I think there are a few on here that will have a very difficult time doing so.

I'm throwing the BS flag on this one.

Two thirds of the AirTran group had been hired since 2002. How far back are you counting? :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's all moot. Some of you guys don't understand what "anecdotal" means.

Read some past arbitration rulings on mergers between healthy carriers. They look primarily at the equipment type and seat. "Career expectations" is a function of available airframes, seats, and the number of years you can expect to be in that seat.

Some of you guys crack me up. No past merger between healthy carriers has EVER resulted in yanking Captains out of their seats and upgrading hundreds of FO's to take those seats. Not a one. This merger will be no different, and anyone telling you otherwise is full of it.

According to a management friend of mine, the number of active number of active applications on file from current AT guys ON 9/27 was around 600. That's around 1/3. How is that anecdotal?

I never mentioned anyone losing their seats, or anything remotely anecdotal in my posts. Heck, I never even mentioned SLI.

I did mention that life is gonna be a lot better over here than there. at least for those that actually fly the line.

Newsflash . . . . . What you are describing are all dependant upon the current contract/current bidding/current pay scheme.

All that can change, and may change for the worst.

When it does, are you going to give me my seniority back?

Exactly.

If it were up to me, I'd give you the seniority you deserve. And it would be fair, and equitable!

Latest resources

Back