SWA 717 to replace 737-300

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JT12345

You know u guys are pushing it with the Boeings and Airbuses with high cycles.

There is a reason why the DC-9 and DC-8s r still flying today, and u don't see too many 707s or 727s. The hulls on DC airplanes are thicker and can handle more cycles than Boeing. Now i don't know about the 717, but I bet it can handle more cycles and would be a good replacement for 737-300 short leg trips. The Boeing and Airbus planes are only designed for about 25-30 years of average life. I say average for average cycles on the airframe. It is also the reason why Mcdonald Douglas is no longer with us. They made the planes too thick in the hulls. They last too long. Less repeat customers maybe.

Indeed. Once a major competitor of Bowing and Aerbus Industry. Of course the were acquired by Bowing a few years back.

They have been powered over the years by powerplants from manufacturers like Pratt & Witney as well as Rolls & Roice. They were really rad birds.

Last edited:
You know u guys are pushing it with the Boeings and Airbuses with high cycles.

There is a reason why the DC-9 and DC-8s r still flying today, and u don't see too many 707s or 727s. The hulls on DC airplanes are thicker and can handle more cycles than Boeing. Now i don't know about the 717, but I bet it can handle more cycles and would be a good replacement for 737-300 short leg trips. The Boeing and Airbus planes are only designed for about 25-30 years of average life. I say average for average cycles on the airframe. It is also the reason why Mcdonald Douglas is no longer with us. They made the planes too thick in the hulls. They last too long. Less repeat customers maybe.

Boeing said they were surprised that the SWA planes had cracks with so few cycles, which really deflects the blame onto the SWA pilots. Trying to keep the 15 or 20 min turn schedule, these guys slam the planes on, jam on the brakes, and make that reverse to get to the gate early. They do it all the time at LAX on runway 24R. If Boeing was surprised, maybe you should look in the mirror. And this wasn't just one plane, it was 6, right? Time to take it easy on those -300 planes.

OYS

Last edited:
Boeing said they were surprised that the SWA planes had cracks with so few cycles, which really deflects the blame onto the SWA pilots. Trying to keep the 15 or 20 min turn schedule, these guys slam the planes on, jam on the brakes, and make that reverse to get to the gate early. They do it all the time at LAX on runway 24R. If Boeing was surprised, maybe you should look in the mirror. And this wasn't just one plane, it was 6, right? Time to take it easy on those -300 planes.

OYS

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you're going to successfully troll Flightinfo, you're going to have to work a lot harder than that. :laugh:

Trolling? Just stating fact. Watch those guys slam it on, all so they can maintain schedule. Why would Boeing be surprised? Sure, they don't want to a part of any litigation, but really, why? 6 out of 81 -300s could have been tuna cans. That is bad. Take it easy guys.

OYS

Trolling? Just stating fact. Watch those guys slam it on, all so they can maintain schedule. Why would Boeing be surprised? Sure, they don't want to a part of any litigation, but really, why? 6 out of 81 -300s could have been tuna cans. That is bad. Take it easy guys.

OYS

I watch Delta, United, Continental, AirTran, JetBlue, etc, etc slam it on as well. Like CA1900 said, "If you're going to successfully troll Flightinfo, you're going to have to work a lot harder than that. :laugh:". Just stating fact. :p

Latest resources

Back