Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SW places firm order for 150 737 Max, announced this morning (12-13-2011)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At one of the last investor conferences, the speaker had the total fleet at 163 -300's, 25 -500's and 88 717's. 276 retirements.

Your right OYS, it looks like Southwest will never do international at this point. Please keep counting us out.

Well it does say:

The 737 MAX guarantees Southwest:
  • A single fleet type well into the next decade with the operational benefits associated with training, schedule recovery, and maintenance programs

Hopefully these new airplanes will allow us to single engine taxi. The ability to leverage all fuel savings possible will help everyone.

slow and steady. This is why SWA is the most successful airline EVER.

To the person who commented on slow upgrade times: thats funny. I personally don't mind making almost 200k a year as an f/o having weekends and holidays off. But to each his own.

Newjetjockey:
SWA has 25 -500's and 250+ 300's which are classics and all roads lead to replacing these AC with newer AC. Some of the older 300's are up to 27 years old the 500's are 18-20 years old so these AC will most likely be replaced. I would say all the older classics with the analog cockpits will be gone SOON. With this announcement it made note that SWA has 350 AC on order thru 2022. One of the posters on another site has indicated that internal rumors indicate that the FL 717 will most like NOT see SWA paint, due to the aggressive A/C delivers due for 2012-2013.

id think the aggressive delivery schedule has a lot more to do with replacing the older classics then the 717.

Congrats guy/gals. This is good news for everyone-except maybe OYS.

Why is it bad news for me? I never wanted to fly for SWA. The old clunky 733s and 735s need to be replaced obviously. I just hope SWA doesn't ruin another cockpit by keeping an old design so it's "easier" for their pilots only. When I flew those planes back before 9-11 for my previous employer the temp guages were the worst, not accurate at all. It appears like they still didn't get an automatic digital control system for temps, just because SWA was scared to teach their pilots how to use them. Do you know how many airlines went with Airbus instead because of the more modern design? Let's hope they keep them away from anything dealing with any new designs.

Godspeed!

OYS

slow and steady. This is why SWA is the most successful airline EVER.

To the person who commented on slow upgrade times: thats funny. I personally don't mind making almost 200k a year as an f/o having weekends and holidays off. But to each his own.

How about your Airtran 717 brethren you raked over the coals? What will they make over the next few years? Good for you, the MOST SUCCESSFUL AIRLINE EVER!!! Way to take it to your brothers!

Godspeed!

OYS

Latest resources

Back