Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Survey: Now that we all have our W-2s....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bobk said:
How about 100k/18 years Fo @USAir and I quit for a Falcon 900 job....and I've never been happier

Good for you.

It used to be the other way around. Pilots use to complain that the corporate world was to unpredictable with no job security, benefits were bad and you were on call all the time. Now its the opposite. Most airlines suck, benefits are disappearing, pay is dropping, min guarentee increasing, etc, etc.

There are a lot of good corporate jobs out there with excellent benefits, good pay and the job security is pretty safe. Problem is the really good ones are hard to get on with because there is no retirement age.

Have fun flying the Falcon 900, what a beautiful airplane.

ACAFool said:
Remember when UAL and AMR had a swagger and arrogance about them. Well it certainly fell off of the them, but I think I know where it landed. Has anyone else noticed a relatively high number off arrogant posts by a few members of a certain LCC. Even in personal encounters I am starting to notice more this attitude. Certainly not from all of them, but definitely more than in the past.

I was just thinking about that.
It seems that just a few shameless apples are lacking some common sense. As a SWA employee, I would like to apologize about that. Especially to the ones that have or may lose their job. I have been there and I wish them the best of luck.
As far as W2, the hourly rate of every airline is well published and that should be more than enough to have an idea.
Some can't stop bragging, some can't stop complaining....they are generally the same ones...just at a different time. That's because they spend their entire life on the computer or in front of a TV rather than having real things to be happy about.

Best of luck to all for 2005.

I find it interesting the notion that pay should be kept secret, especially in a (relatively) anon. medium of the internet. I think it is valuable in any profession to know what your peers are making; there is another company on the floor above me with similar people doing similar things. I'd sure like to know what the equivalent guy in my spot is making... it helps to put things in perspective and know just what your employer thinks of you relative to the local market. For those who prefer not to know or share such information, that is fine, just don't look! (but you are looking then, aren't you?? :)

I am not a professional pilot. I wanted to be at one point and who knows, maybe one day I'll be again.... but since I've written the above I figure it would be interesting to share what I do and what I make: the biggest # on my W2 (medicare wages) was 88628. 4th year as a computer hardware/software engineer in an area where the cost of living is high. I don't yet own a house so I managed to save a lot/pay off a lot of college debt in the past year. $13k into the 401k knocked down my taxes a bit, as I don't yet have a mortgage (can't afford it on that salary where I live, believe it or not!). Before you go blowing your wads realize that this is a profession where you start out high, and then level off in pay unless you go into management or are talented enough to start a successful business (or be in on the founding of something big).

JPB said:
I was just thinking about that.
It seems that just a few shameless apples are lacking some common sense. As a SWA employee, I would like to apologize about that. Especially to the ones that have or may lose their job. I have been there and I wish them the best of luck.
As far as W2, the hourly rate of every airline is well published and that should be more than enough to have an idea.
Some can't stop bragging, some can't stop complaining....they are generally the same ones...just at a different time. That's because they spend their entire life on the computer or in front of a TV rather than having real things to be happy about.

Best of luck to all for 2005.

You pretty much covered all of your "grievances" in one post!!

You brag - couldn't pass up the opportunity to mention that YOU work at SWA...

You complain - you have to mention how shameless everyone here is... with the exception of YOU...

Then YOU decide to add a new one - You're actually Doctor Phil!! You have the whole "typical internet user Profile" all figured out.

Here is a little tip: YOU just spent part of your life NOT having real things to be happy about.

IMO, this is one of the worst threads that I have ever seen here. Especially given all the recent industry woes. It's best to keep the details to oneself and the IRS. Then again, I could be wrong. There are plenty of resources on the internet to find out roughly what someone makes doing a particular task for a certain company. peace out!

Alright then, let's just post how much people make in other professions not including pilots. Anyone else from another profession aside from aviation care to post like Immelman the computer programmer?

I like seeing what other professions make as well!

Last edited:
I made more in my retired pay, than as a SWA FO this yr but next yr. will be different. The sad thing is I make more retired than my wife who has been teaching school for 20 yrs.

Latest resources

Back