• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sully, welcome to Phoenix

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Cowboy. Thats the spirit. Good luck at your new LCC when you guys split.

M

Doosh:
Good luck to you and your east coast man love.
I hope that you have a healthy future and raise many little dooshes!

Notice how every rumor or propagation of a rumor of LCC splitting up purportedly favors the East? Makes you wonder where the source of those rumors is.

I don't see how the American rumor favors the East, considering what happened at TWA.

Notice how every rumor or propagation of a rumor of LCC splitting up purportedly favors the East? Makes you wonder where the source of those rumors is.
I would not really consider going to American a good thing for the East. You can ask the TWA pilots how good of a deal that was. Of course they did have ALPA in their corner.
I would think the West pilots would actually like the AA rumor.

I would think the West pilots would actually like the AA rumor.
I don't like any merger rumor if it involves me. One merger put me on the street and the next one nearly so. I doubt I can survive another one.

I keep telling my AWA colleagues who think working for AMR would be better than LCC how wrong they are. I hope they don't have to find out the hard way.

As a member of the profession, I don't think it's fair to minimize the positives of what Sulley and "what's his name" did. USAir training is absolute GARBAGE. Maybe at one time it wasn't but right now it is. We're so caught up with identifying whether or not we're operating in our "Green, Yellow, or Red" comfort level that nobody seems to care how watered down the actual flying skills have become. When in the HELL did our procedure in an emergency evolve into "try and get the aircraft at the highest level of automation?" When did we get away from "Shut the damn automation off and fly the airplane!" Based on what I've seen come out of the schoolhouse, I can hardly blame Skiles for not pushing the Ditch pushbutton or what ever other negatives came out.

However, take away all of the other crap and these guys appear to have done exactly what you'd have wanted a pilot to do. FLY THE PLANE, come up with a plan, and execute it. They were operating in a stressful environment and their performance was commendable. It was a nice change from another "pilot error" story. In truth, I'd like to think EVERY one of us who get's paid to fly for a living believes that under similar circumstances, their outcome would be the same. It's not heroics, it's our job and what we hopefully train for in the simulator.

Sulley certainly has the background to be in the Safety Department and I'm sure he will bring positives things to that office. With that said, USAPA trying to use his star power to try and sway the jury was pretty ugly. His "My daughter asked me what integrity meant" story was contrived and should have been embarrassing for everyone in the courtroom. Particularly since the hearing was related to DFR and NOT the acceptability of the Nic award. He didn't have to volunteer his services to the union for that and I think doing so damaged his credibility as a PERSON to the West pilots, not his credibility as a Safety Manager. I don't blame USAir for offering him the position for his based on his qualifications but I certainly find it hard to believe there wasn't a public relations motive. The bottom line is, after acting as a USAPA shrill in the courthouse that tried to add fuel to the whole "West Rookies" smoke screen, he's going to have to re-earn the respect of the West pilots.

As a member of the profession, I don't think it's fair to minimize the positives of what Sulley and "what's his name" did. USAir training is absolute GARBAGE. Maybe at one time it wasn't but right now it is. We're so caught up with identifying whether or not we're operating in our "Green, Yellow, or Red" comfort level that nobody seems to care how watered down the actual flying skills have become. When in the HELL did our procedure in an emergency evolve into "try and get the aircraft at the highest level of automation?" When did we get away from "Shut the damn automation off and fly the airplane!" Based on what I've seen come out of the schoolhouse, I can hardly blame Skiles for not pushing the Ditch pushbutton or what ever other negatives came out.

However, take away all of the other crap and these guys appear to have done exactly what you'd have wanted a pilot to do. FLY THE PLANE, come up with a plan, and execute it. They were operating in a stressful environment and their performance was commendable. It was a nice change from another "pilot error" story. In truth, I'd like to think EVERY one of us who get's paid to fly for a living believes that under similar circumstances, their outcome would be the same. It's not heroics, it's our job and what we hopefully train for in the simulator.

Sulley certainly has the background to be in the Safety Department and I'm sure he will bring positives things to that office. With that said, USAPA trying to use his star power to try and sway the jury was pretty ugly. His "My daughter asked me what integrity meant" story was contrived and should have been embarrassing for everyone in the courtroom. Particularly since the hearing was related to DFR and NOT the acceptability of the Nic award. He didn't have to volunteer his services to the union for that and I think doing so damaged his credibility as a PERSON to the West pilots, not his credibility as a Safety Manager. I don't blame USAir for offering him the position for his based on his qualifications but I certainly find it hard to believe there wasn't a public relations motive. The bottom line is, after acting as a USAPA shrill in the courthouse that tried to add fuel to the whole "West Rookies" smoke screen, he's going to have to re-earn the respect of the West pilots.
get2flyin;

I know emotions are running high right now and I must admit, I agree with you on the way the Hudson accident has been politicized. However, I must call you on your statement about US Airways training as being "GARBAGE".

The "Green, Yellow or Red" comfort level you refer to is the US Airways Threat and Error Management Model. US Airways, the company we both work for is recognized as an industry leader with our Advanced Qualification Program and the use of the TEM model to mitigate and trap errors.

The accident records are full of highly competent "stick and rudder" pilots that have been involved in loss of life accidents. This was the primary reason the concept of the Advanced Qualification Program was developed in 1987.

Members of US Airways Flight Training and Standards Department are a group of highly dedicated Instructors and Check Airmen totally committed to our pilot group.

We are not perfect. We're always trying to improve our product to you the line pilot customer. Please don't slam us with an emotional outburst over the root cause of your frustration... seniority.

The next time you are in CLT, please look me up. I will take you to lunch and show you what we do here.

Best Wishes...

over 9 months off when the f/o went to work in april.........sully pulled the right straw in this deal.

shoot, he's been off so long he's almost as dangerous as some canadian gesse. course USair pilots are old as hell, so his f/o's probably been there 15 years

Latest resources

Back