Suck it, Duane.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Union dues/initiation fee

Llisten as a capatin rep and vice chairman at my airline (for ALPA) all you have to do is call 888 359 2572 ext 0 tell the operator you are a Piedmont FO(or whatever airline and position you occupy) and need to speak to membership. it takes about 2 minutes and you should be back in good standing.....I have this conversation with 3-5 pilots a year at my propety and is usually resolved fairly quickly and painlessly..

jetfueljunkey said:
Llisten as a capatin rep and vice chairman at my airline (for ALPA) all you have to do is call 888 359 2572 ext 0 tell the operator you are a Piedmont FO(or whatever airline and position you occupy) and need to speak to membership. it takes about 2 minutes and you should be back in good standing.....I have this conversation with 3-5 pilots a year at my propety and is usually resolved fairly quickly and painlessly..

So, this is a chronic problem. Nice.

The cronic problem is usually the pilot does not have their correct mailing address on file and they have not paid their initiation fees. When the letter that alpa sends out to the bad address doesn't get to the said pilot they then fall into bad standing. Several more letters are sent out and because they either did not give correct address or have moved and have not updated address with alpa they are not recieving the information. This is usually all it is!

ultrarunner said:
So, this is a chronic problem. Nice.

With pilots.......who.....

Don't take the personal responsibility to.....

1. Get informed
  2. Follow directions that they agreed to
  3. Folow thru on thier financial obligations.
Every month about 5-10 pilots don't turn in thier medical on time (usually the 25th). Is this a chronic problem? Is it the FAA fault? The AME? The company? Dare I suggest we look in the mirror?

Uh, the union is there to serve YOU, not the other way around. I'm already the company's BI-ATCH, now I must be DW's as well?

ENTIRELY FALSE! There is only one pilot who accpets a salary at ALPA. The other employees at ALPA are staffers. Unions are a volunteer organization. Every pilot at ALPA is a volunteer less one.

What does this mean? ALPA is a resource not a service! ALPA is the vehicle, map and fuel, but YOU must drive the car, navigate the car and keep the car in good repair. Standing around looking at your fellow pilots wondering who is going to do something is weak, lacks courage and counters leadership.

It's crap like this that makes me seriously consider the "dues-paying, mx fee only" non-member option

It would be unfortunate that you would take action based on misinformation and misinformed expectations...

jetfueljunkey said:
The cronic problem is usually the pilot does not have their correct mailing address on file and they have not paid their initiation fees. When the letter that alpa sends out to the bad address doesn't get to the said pilot they then fall into bad standing. Several more letters are sent out and because they either did not give correct address or have moved and have not updated address with alpa they are not recieving the information. This is usually all it is!

The van down by the river gets notoriously spotty mail service.

Hey if theres a certain amount of people who don't want to be in the union why force us to pay dues? Theres plenty of people who would gladly do this. Time to start that decertification drive everywhere! We shouldnt even be forced to pay the non member option. I don't want someone else to speak for me I want to speak for myself. Plenty of other people do too. Its time to get those RLA laws changed. Screw em if we don't want to be in a union then we shouldnt have to pay them a dime. "NOT ONE MORE CENT"

D'Angelo said:
Hey if theres a certain amount of people who don't want to be in the union why force us to pay dues? Theres plenty of people who would gladly do this. Time to start that decertification drive everywhere! We shouldnt even be forced to pay the non member option. I don't want someone else to speak for me I want to speak for myself. Plenty of other people do too. Its time to get those RLA laws changed. Screw em if we don't want to be in a union then we shouldnt have to pay them a dime. "NOT ONE MORE CENT"

D'angelo, get back in the shed, ya TOOL!

You are a waste of space and the air you breathe. Go work for a non union carrier if that's what you want. Your plenty of people who don't want to be in the union will never be the majority to change Comair.

Like Rez said, ALPA is a resource not a service. Good luck with getting the company to negotiate with you individually. But then you wouldn't need to negotiate cause you would take anything the company didn't give you. Right?

GO AROUND said:
D'angelo, get back in the shed, ya TOOL!

You are a waste of space and the air you breathe. Go work for a non union carrier if that's what you want. Your plenty of people who don't want to be in the union will never be the majority to change Comair.

Like Rez said, ALPA is a resource not a service. Good luck with getting the company to negotiate with you individually. But then you wouldn't need to negotiate cause you would take anything the company didn't give you. Right?

Hey all im saying is everyone is sitting out here in the trenches taking pay cuts doing what we have to do to survive. Mean while all those ALPO national guys like Dr. Phil sit there with their big feet on their desks smoking their cigars laughing all the way to the bank. They could really care less. I wonder how much of a paycut the big cheeses at ALPO have taken. All im saying is if you want to wake them up you have to hit em where it hurts. The wallet. Start the decertification drive, stop paying dues. I guarantee you that you will get attention. If we have to take paycuts so should we. They are the ones that got us into this mess. They turned things into the free for all we are in right now. If you want change then you have to get things moving. The only way to wake them up is to start the decertification process. Money talks and if they start missing out on all those dues I guarantee they will listen. You HOOAH union guys are too fanatical to see that. You still buy into letting the MEC PEE for you. I speak for myself and I have never met Fred. If you keep paying your dues like sheep to the slaughter nothing will ever change.

D'Angelo said:
Hey if theres a certain amount of people who don't want to be in the union why force us to pay dues?

ACA was an open shop where you had the option to not be a union member. ASA is a closed shop and requires all pilots to join and pay dues. I don't know about other airlines.

Let's "get informed" together.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
With pilots.......who.....

ENTIRELY FALSE! There is only one pilot who accpets a salary at ALPA. The other employees at ALPA are staffers. Unions are a volunteer organization. Every pilot at ALPA is a volunteer less one.

What does this mean? ALPA is a resource not a service! ...

You are right of course. But you don't tell the whole story.

ALPA might only have one salaried "Pres" who draws half-a-million dollar salarly, but there are over 200 employees on the payroll drawing over $75,000 in salary . . . and roughly half of those over $100,000.

Let's put that in perspective. ALPA has assets of roughly $200 million and has that many on the payroll making bou-co bucks. MESA has a BILLION in revenue, and I guarantee you there are less than 100 people making over $100k. Kinda makes you wonder if you're getting your "bang-for-the-buck" over at the ALPA HQ.

Alpa is a resource? Well, yes. But my contract allows ALPA to have the company TERMINATE MY EMPLOYMENT if they determine me to be in "bad standing." So don't kid yourself. They're alot more than a $1000/yr magazine subscription.

Latest resources

Back