Strike in 09 at United is looking real

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Peanut gallery

Things are getting worse by the day. Tilton and his cohort Pete are not getting the picture. ALPA is at the end of it's resources. The employees simply will not give back anything anymore after the money grab by management, so any interm TA is probably out of the question. The company is not willing to look at any contract amendments from the BK untill they have to.
The fight is brewing faster than ever before, 85 looks like a picnic compared to this impending storm.
Just yesterday I heard a story from the ORD Chief Pilot about a returning pilot from Monday's class resigning after only two days back on the property. The reason was simply that after meeting our upper management and hearing what they had to say he would not work in that environment.

Any returning pilots should keep their foot in the door at whatever they were doing, come to class and get a feel for what is going on before they leave what they are doing now. The pay will not be fixed any time soon, the fleet will only shrink and you better be willing to survive a strike in 09 of probably at least a 3-6 month duration. This place has become nothing more than a less than impressive paycheck.

We need real leadership that can bring back the employees morale ( and our customers ) and make UAL a place where we want to contribute rather than be ashamed of working.

There I feel better now

Sorry to be a wet blanket but there is no way any airline of any size is going to be allowed to strike under any administration (Dem or Rep). With recent rulings against unions ability to strike even when their contracts have been thrown out, I doubt management is very scared of that route. I don't think it's right but I think that's the way it's going to be.

yeah, isnt it illegal to go on strike these days?
icon26.gif

Can't strike unles you go through the process. Got to sit down and negotiate first...then one group or the other requests mediation....then it is really up to the mediator how long the 2 sides keep talking.

If he sees the slightest opening...he will let them continue to negotiate for a loooong time. Sometimes a couple of years.

IF (caps intentional) the mediator decides that progress isn't being made, then and only then will he release both parties into a "30 day cooling off period" during which, super mediation takes place behind the scenes.

Then if nothing happens, ALPA can accept Managements last best offer, or go to binding arbitration ( hint: don't get Nicolau), or go to "self help"...i.e. strike.

In 2007, you are a long way from 2009. A lot can change between now and then. To be talking strike, when there is a legal and binding contract in place is ...well...crazy.

A more logical scenario is....contract amendable date comes up...in 2009 ...both parties exchange openers....negotiations get started.....go for about a year or more....mediation is requested....mediator gets them going for another year or so ( we're now into 2011, for those of you keeping track)...a year later ( 2012)...you could be released into a "30 day cooling off".

And...who knows...at any point, you might just have a contract and not eat up all that time.

But top be talking strike already?....sheesh....where do some people think up such stuff......?

Last edited:
Then if nothing happens, ALPA can accept Managements last best offer, or go to binding arbitration ( hint: don't get Nicolau), or go to "self help"...i.e. strike.

Look out for Kasher as well. I don't think there is a pilot at Alaska that thinks we will get a contract before 2009 especially when the company is talking in 2009 economics - Go figure. Why settle anything now when they can delay and keep paying the crappy wages they have in the current contract?

The entire industry just sucks right now. I'm suggesting a National "Call in sick day during the 4th of July holiday." Any takers? ALPA can't support officially due to the rules they operate under, but I think this would give the industry and the public a wakeup call!!

Baja.

SOS. I know a lot of the carriers wouldn't participate (non-legacy and Delta) but enough is enough. TC

That thought is even worse

Sorry to be a wet blanket but there is no way any airline of any size is going to be allowed to strike under any administration (Dem or Rep). With recent rulings against unions ability to strike even when their contracts have been thrown out, I doubt management is very scared of that route. I don't think it's right but I think that's the way it's going to be.

If it would take that long then the present package would stay this way even longer. The present rate of compensation and QOL is unsustainable for that long. There will be no UAL because the employee group will be so miserable that we will chase every real customer away. There will be few 1k's and up that will put up with this nonsense.

DAL737FO hit the nail on the head. The PEB will prevent ANY labor group at ANY large legacy carrier from striking. Simple as that.

It's just not a power that an airline union has.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back