• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stealth Age 67 to 70

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apparently, it was the regional carriers that were lobbying in DC because of staffing issues they will face when the majors start hiring (combined with the new increased minimums for hiring pilots).

From what I observe out of sCAL CPO, and others trying to increase the age past 65 is, they are grasping onto anything to try and get more time. It's really not the regional carriers. It's the usual-suspect old guys using the regional issue as something to further their agenda. It's like safety or discrimination. They're trying to attach their cause to one that is more credible, to get what they want.

The CPO at sCAL sent out a blastmail that mentioned a strong push to change the mandatory retirement age to 67. Apparently, it was the regional carriers that were lobbying in DC because of staffing issues they will face when the majors start hiring (combined with the new increased minimums for hiring pilots). For now, there are no planned changes to the mandatory retirement age. I honestly thought increasing the retirement age again was just rumor and speculation. This was the first time I heard from 'an official source' that there are groups lobbying for age 67.

I must have missed that one. Though Fox didn't bat an eye when someone asked him about it at GSR an said, "yeah, I heard that being knocked around."

Only way I would remotely support it is all over 60 to the right seat. Prior to the initial change, it should have been, everyone hired after the date this takes effect can work till 65. But such is life.
I wonder how much harder it is to run an ATC station than fly being that they must retire 10 years earlier than pilots?

missed that too but I have gotten pretty good at speed reading all the blastmail "nothing new, and the TA will take time" emails that I might have glossed over that nugget.

And I seriously doubt it's the regional guys.

I always love this topic.

I know the older pilots think it's their right to stay as long as they like; to tell the young apprentice FOs to earn their keep.

Honestly what if this rule was going on 30 years ago when these "retired" guys were looking to move up the ladder. 30 years ago would they have said "yes, I agree, increase the age, I haven't earned the left seat yet, I need to wait another decade to increase my career movement." I'm pretty sure they would be saying the same things young guys are saying now.

It's all prospective where you are in life.

And is it fair they get to stay on top, extend their career, and hope the finish line get moved again. For them yes, for the rest of us no.

When these gummers started with the majors 25+ years ago, they knew that their career was up at age 60. Should of could of would of...... whatever! The point is this: Lay in the bed you've made! Poor financial planning and/or losing self control (ie. not keeping your johnson in the pants on layovers, multiple failed marriages, forsaken children all over the map, etc.) is their problem, not ours. If it's not poor planning and execution, then it's greed-simple as that! Get a life 'cause life is short or do I have to explain that one too?

can anyone post that part of the CAL CPs memo about age 67?? Haven't heard this insanity at FedEx yet.

can anyone post that part of the CAL CPs memo about age 67?? Haven't heard this insanity at FedEx yet.

Age 67: The hot rumor going around is that the retirement age for pilots is going to be changed to 67 shortly. I have been told that this is more rumor than fact. The issue was being lobbied by the regional carriers who are in a panic over the drain of pilots to the majors and their inability to backfill their operation especially with the higher flying time required for new pilot hiring. There was a brief spurt of activity in DCA, then it closed up like a clam. So as far as I can find out, there is nothing happening at this time that would lead to a change in the retirement age.

Latest resources

Back