• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Standby Duty at Flex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have yet to be fatigued in fracland. 10 hours is not conducive to fatigue. 8 hours reduced every other night was killing me. 10 hours is heaven on a stick!

If the practice is legal by the regs or contract,

This becomes the real question, legality, and intrinsically tied to that (by FAA interpretive letter) is what the company expectation of the pilots is. If the pilot can answer or not answer at his/her choosing, it is different than if the pilot is expected to answer (perform duty) if the opportunity arise.

CA1900 summed it up. From his post his real world schedule was 0600 show for a 0830 flight. 2.5 hours to get ready at the airport! I show up at 0730 for a 0830 flight.

Did you read the rest of my message? My duty started at 0600, and that didn't change. The company wanted me rested and available in case something changed in the morning. It didn't, so I didn't leave the hotel 'til 7am for my 8:30 flight.

If you answer your phone and stop playing games with management then you get to stay at the hotel in comfort.
My duty period started a few minutes ago, yet I don't leave the comfortable hotel for two more hours. I'm on duty if they need me, and I'm properly rested for a duty period that began at 10am.

If you get all upity about calls during rest (even though it's been 18 hours of rest and it's 2 in the afternoon) ...
So when do you sleep during that up-to-18 hours of rest, knowing that you might be going to work (for up to 14 hours), beginning anywhere from 6am to 2pm?

Crash after crash has been caused by fatigued pilots. Making sure you're properly rested isn't "getting all uppity" -- it's doing the right thing.

This becomes the real question, legality, and intrinsically tied to that (by FAA interpretive letter) is what the company expectation of the pilots is. If the pilot can answer or not answer at his/her choosing, it is different than if the pilot is expected to answer (perform duty) if the opportunity arise.

I see your point. I would venture to say that all companies expect their pilots to answer their phones if the are not in their mandated rest periods (faa or otherwise). If the phone rings within your 10 hour rest period, don't answer it if you don't want to. That is your legal right, but at 10 hours and 1 minute you should be answering it. It is professionalism people plain and simple. If you are not able to fly when they call tell them that, but don't just not answer the phone.

These companies hired professionals, not a 16 year olds flipping hamburgers. We all know the regs, we all knew the expectations....do the work!

The more we fly, the more the business can grow, the more we can get or "brothers/sisters" back into the cockpit.

Look beyond yourselves at the big picture.

Why does your company think you need to be at the airport to be on duty? Why not come on duty at 9am at the hotel, with a 2pm show at the airport for a 3pm flight?

If I have a 3pm show I stay up as late as possible, sleep as late as possible till 10 or 11am, to be ready for a 14 hour day starting at 2pm. That is my job and my duty to the company.

So maybe these guys you are asking to "man up" and to do their jobs, are doing exactly that.....being ready for a 14 hour day starting at 3pm.

I would say if your going to bed at 10pm the night before a 2pm show, that YOU are the one that should man up and do your job and properly plan your rest for what is scheduled, and not what you are hoping will happen.

1. The benefit of having a crew at the FBO on duty is time. You have cut at least an hour off the lead time by sitting "hot standby."

2. Don't cloud yourself with the issue. The issue is answering the phone. If you want to tell them you ae fatigues because you were planning on a later show....fine. no one is saying you shouldn't. you SHOULD answer the phone. It takes two minutes and I am sure you can get your pretty head back to sleep if you need to.

pager OFF until show time. 10 hours aint got anything to do with it anymore. That's just the minimum time off they can give you.

If i am given 12 hours OFF and my phone rings at 10.2 hours, I am required NOT to answer it.

Last edited:
pager OFF until show time. 10 hours aint got anything to do with it anymore. That's just the minimum time off they can give you.

If i am given 12 hours OFF and my phone rings at 10.2 hours, I am required NOT to answer it.

Atta boy...look out for number one.

* now I remeber why I left this forum for a while.*

Latest resources

Back