• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Standby Duty at Flex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It must be "black and white" cause this thread has gone on 8 pages.

Here is what I know...you must have 10 hours of rest in the preceding 24 hours starting from the end of your scheduled day. Everything I posted is based on that. That's the law and that's what I do.

You go sit in an FBO and stand proud when the phone rings cause by God, you're off rest and are now required to. Black and White.

Despite what would seem to be clear regs, the FAA has left a fair amount of wriggle room. Just recently, of course, lobbyists beat them silly in congress, so those with long intercon flights still have lousy rest rules.
What it comes down to in the frac world is this; who are you willing to let control your rest? If you want control, you can turn off your phone. This might upset management, and cost them a recovery flight, or prevent an owner from a last minute change of plans. Or, you can leave your phone on, giving the power over your rest to management, and trusting them to not abuse the privilege. In this case it is still the pilot's duty to make sure that he or she has adequate legal rest. (management cannot assign nor can the pilot accept...) In my not very humble opinion, it is better to work at a carrier where there is trust. I guess, however, if there is none, you turn the phone off. In the interest of disclosure, I'm an FO, and I'm gonna do what the PIC asks, as long as it is legal and safe.

Regards, Wacoflyr

You go sit in an FBO and stand proud when the phone rings cause by God, you're off rest and are now required to. Black and White.

Who says I'm required to be in an FBO when I'm off rest?

I'm burning my duty day right now in my hotel because I'm not needed at the airport.

Latest resources

Back